Supreme Court: Parents CAN'T take kids on term-time holiday without risking a fine

Comments

• FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    maman wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if that was the case.

This week's case has gone on and on through various courts and schools have been reluctant to impose the fines until the case was concluded.

The law applies to academies as well as local authority schools. Some uphold it so strongly that they ask parents to sign an agreement to no term time holidays when accepting the place.

They didn't refer the case if they had I would have been fined. I did say in my letter that I would accept the fine so don't think it was to do with being reluctance to fine me.

The law applies to academies too but in my town the other schools have no choice but to refer all cases to the LA whereas academic school can choose whether to do so or not.

My DS caught up on all that was taught during the missed days. He learns quickly and enjoys homework so had no issues doing the extra work when we came back.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    mumps wrote: »
    I am so tired of this argument. We took our kids camping every year but some years my husband didn't get leave approved during school holidays. It wasn't about money, it wasn't about going abroad, it was about spending a couple of weeks together doing things we liked.

Also, the U.K. Has some lovely places but it's a very small part of the whole world. A real shame for a child to not visit any other countries their whole childhood when they could have had that opportunity if a bit of sense was used.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Guest101 wrote: »
    So you can hold the moral principle high ground now that the supreme court has ruled on statute? But the reverse cant be said? - that doesn't make sense.

The point I was making is that I dont think the poster you quoted was referring to the fathers interpretation of statute/provisions when he said he had dubious principles.
    leespot wrote: »
    Unholyangel - I'd say your friend needs to have their child's health looked at because weeks in hospital due to illness contracted from another child is not normal! (that isn't supposed to come across as mean, it's a genuine concern for the general health of the child who picks things up so easily, there could be an underlying problem).

The child in question does have a serious condition - he undergoes chemo regularly and thus, his immune system is severely weakened. In my experience, people are rather ignorant of things like that - it never seems to occur to them that what might be just a cold to us can be lethal to others. And i'm sure you can appreciate how frustrating it is for his parents that their sons life is being put at risk all because some parents don't want to take time off work/make other arrangements for the childs care, so they send them to school sick.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My parents and many of those of my generation would not keep their children off school because of a cold, unless it was really bad.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My parents and many of those of my generation would not keep their children off school because of a cold, unless it was really bad.

I went to a girls' grammar school where the headmistress would not allow illness. My parents consulted an MP who threatened her with court action, after not following the course she wanted me to, I was not getting any college offers. A demand for 'private' reports to be disclosed showed that I was reported to have very poor attendance.....It was actually 10 days off for German Measles in 7 years at the school.

Laughably, she caught GM, her self. She had no time off but banned the school choir from the stage (she normally had the choir behind her) and made all the girls sit several metres back from the stage.

I'm not anti-teacher, as I became one and can say that in certain subjects (maths in my case), pupil absence does cause disruption.

If a child missed lessons on very simple equations, for instance, it was impossible for them to carry on with the rest of the class who were practising more complex ones.

Sometimes, the only way round this , was to give up a lunch break and tutor the child, as one could not ignore the rest of the class to concentrate on the former absentee.

I didn't mind helping a child who was off school because of illness, but would not have been happy to have to do this on a regular basis, just because a family decided to take a cheap holiday. Luckily, the latter was not the case in the schools where I worked.
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    It's interesting that whenever this subject is raised, parents in agreement with taking their child out of school during term time think it's appropriate to question the school rather than question the travel industry. Why not focus the energy in trying to attain a fairer pricing structure than trying to justify weeks at school are of no consequence to your child's learning programme.
    Nobody has yet come up with an answer on how to impose this "fairer pricing structure". Do you have any suggestions? How about a percent or two on income tax to subsidise a summer holiday for everyone?
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    onlyroz wrote: »
    Nobody has yet come up with an answer on how to impose this "fairer pricing structure". Do you have any suggestions? How about a percent or two on income tax to subsidise a summer holiday for everyone?
    maybe ask aldi to do holidays?
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • Loz01
    Loz01 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I dont understand how or why this has seemingly worked for years and NOW you have to pay a fine. Im 30 and used to missed one week a year for a holiday as a child... I never suffered, the class never suffered because I used take homework with me! I have a memory of sitting on a plane to Florida with my cousin (same age as me) doing maths and history homework sheets! I was about 10/11 at the time. I didn't fall behind. I didn't impact any other kids and THEIR learning, no one had to take me aside and help me catch up etc etc. I can't see why head teachers can't use a bit of discretion.

Its all rubbish anyway as my SIL asked for 4 days off for my niece for a holiday at the end of term. It was denied. My niece's friend however has a very very very naughty brother who is a mare at school.. and when THEIR Mum asked for a week off it was allowed.... as they wanted to get rid of a naughty kid for a week.
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Slightly sideways off-topic, how does this ruling impact children who are home educated? I know a couple of kids who are/were home educated and there seemed to be very few rules about what and when they were taught. Just wondered if trips away would be classed as 'geography'?
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    mumps wrote: »
    I am so tired of this argument. We took our kids camping every year but some years my husband didn't get leave approved during school holidays. It wasn't about money, it wasn't about going abroad, it was about spending a couple of weeks together doing things we liked.

I am so tired of this argument. Nobody forced that job on him, everyone is free to choose their job and the associated conditions.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure