PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How long does a butternut squash keep?

Yikes! Have just found a butternut squash in my garage which got delivered in my vegetable box - perhaps 6 weeks ago. It still looks the same, will it be ok or should I be throwing it out and slapping my wrist for being so wasteful?
I'd left it to one side as I didn't know what to do with it, so again, ideas would be great. Many thanks.
I'm not a failure if I don't make it, I'm a success because I :tried!

Comments

• Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Properly hardened they will keep until the Spring.

Halve it, take out the seeds and fluffy bits, peel it and slice it [so that the outside bit is about an inch thick], and roast in oil with paprika. Lovely.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    You will know if it has gone off because it will have soft, discoloured patches on it. As Zazen says it will keep for months especially somewhere cool like a garage. All winter squashes (pumpkin, butternut etc) keep really well;)
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    Yes they should last for months in a cool spot - as long as the temperature remains above zero/

As for what to do with it, some of the easiest dishes to use it in are soup or risotto. Alternatively, cut it in half (if it is not too big), spread olive oil and crushed garlic on the cut sides and bake cut side down in the oven to serve as a side dish. Or cut into chunks and use in mixed roast winter veg.
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • PixiePie
    PixiePie Posts: 875 Forumite
    I had one in our larder for about 4 months - cooked it (just simply roasted it) and it was yum. They seem to keep forever in a nice cool dark place :)

We tend to have it weekly and do the following with ours:

Make soup (from raw ie not roast first) (1 squash, 2 leeks, 2 carrots, 2litres stock, cumin and coriander - simmer for about 1 hour (we like ours really squishy, probably could get away with 35 mins if you chunk small), bung in a tablespoon of red lentils 30 mins before the end, then cool for 10 mins and blend) (we love this with seedy bready and a dash of chipotle tabasco sauce on top)

Cut into chunks (skin on) and roast then:
    Have as a side dish with chicken thighs or something
    Have as a side dish, but with extra roast veg (eg onions, leeks, carrots etc)

Halve and roast until soft, scoop out, mix with cous cous and herbs, and put back in the shell, bake with some cheese on top (sometimes go all exotic and fry off some onions and garlic and mix in too! Or use up any left over meat by mixing it in as well)

Make into mash (roast then mash up)

Put chunks on kebabs

Umm, that's about all I can think of from the top of my head - but I'm knackered...will have another think :)
    Do not feed the trolls please.
  • ooh this has just reminded me that I still have a butternut squash in the cupboard that has been there more weeks than I can remember - thanks all for the advice and recipe ideas - I won't throw it out now but will hopefully make something tasty instead.
  • SpoonyOh
    SpoonyOh Posts: 100 Forumite
    I kept one in my fridge for three weeks, then parboiled and mashed it for my baby - he quite liked it and it tasted good. The rest went in the freezer for future consumption. My pumpkin didn't fare so well outside of the fridge sadly.....
    Sealed Pot Challenge number 298, up yours HSBC!
  • i had one in the fridge for 6 months, my husband eventually painted a face on it and a note that said EAT ME.it was still fine.
    :hello: :j
  • I keep my veg outside in a shaded garden shed.Stuff keeps for ages in here.I've just used a squash I bought in April.It was still perfect and tasted lovely.
  • mummysaver
    mummysaver Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    They keep for ages and ages. I cut mine in half, scoop out the seeds, plop on a bit of oil, garlic powder and paprika and roast, then scoop out the flesh (much easier than peeling them). They make great soup, mash, curry with chick peas, with bacon in a risotto.

Don't forget to wash off the seeds, pop them on a baking tray, sprinkle with salt, and chilli if you like, and bung in the oven as it cools down, nice toasted seeds to go with a glass of wine!
    GC Oct £387.69/£400, GC Nov £312.58/£400, GC Dec £111.87/£400
  • Mander
    Mander Posts: 65 Forumite
    I'm sure it will be fine--they keep for months in a cool place. I never peel them first before cooking. I tried it once, following a recipe, and it was just too hard! I always cut them in half and put them cut side down in a baking dish with a little water in the bottom, and bake until the skin is turning brown and the flesh is soft.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure