25% discount on Friends and Family Railcard. (save £6)

Post updated 2 February 2009

What's the deal?

Until 31 March, National Rail is offering a 25% discount off the one year Family & Friends Railcard, making it just £18. These cut a third off an adult's ticket and 60% off kids' tickets when you have at least one adult and one child travelling. You can have up to four adults and four kids travel on one card.

How to grab one

The offer's available online only, not at stations. Go to the Family & Friends Railcard website and enter the special code EXPERT25 when registering.

We have permission from National Railcards to give out the offer code.

What you get

As well as a third off most rail fares there's currently also free Youth Hostel Association membership and discounts on eating out. See the full list of offers available on the Railcard Website.

Are there any catches to the railcard?

The Railcard can't be used on weekday morning peak services entirely within the London and South East area. If you're unsure when these times are, as they differ according to the route, then check with your local station or call the National Rail Enquiries line on 08457 48 49 50.

Yet very occasionally some special fares (e.g. cheap London to Manchester) undercut it so check, but for regular train travel it's great.

For more train fare cost-cutting tips, read the full Cheap Train Tickets article

On previous occasions this offer's been on some people waiting until the last day to register have experienced problems so it's advisable to do it at least a few days before it ends.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

PS. Many thanks to MoneySaver ticketcollector for the top spot when it was originally offered last year.
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• Just had the latest internal news magazine at work and have found the following....

Family and Friends Railcard special offer
    Family & Friends Railcard are running a special offer promotion with Johnston Press, publishers of the Days Out UK guide, to encourage families to purchase a Railcard. The offer is a 25% discount on a Family & Friends Railcard (making the Railcard £18) and a Days Out UK membership for £4.95 when you purchase a Railcard (usual price £14.99).

The 25% Railcard discount is only redeemable if you purchase online – at https://www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk - using the discount code FAMILY18 and is not available through ticket offices or telesales.
    The Days Out UK offer is a permanent offer, available throughout the year to all Family &Friends Railcard holders.

The offer is valid from 21 September to 30 November and will be promoted through adverts in regional newspapers across the country.
    Ex-Employee of a Train Operating Company.
    Ticket routing and rules expert.
    Been Penalty Fared on the Railway? PM me and Ill try to help you win your appeal.
    Been sent a summons on the Railway? PM me and Ill try to help you.
  • icefall
    icefall Posts: 1,124
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    thanks very much

I am about to get one so this is great timing.
    I always wanted to be a procrastinator, never got round to it...
  • lexa34
    lexa34 Posts: 587
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have hit the thanks button but I thought it was extra nice of you to put this up so thought I would say so!!

Just shame they aren't more flexible in their definition of family!!
    Green and minimal chemicals is the new black- I know a fair old bit about sustainability, specially energy and transport stuff. If I can help- please ask!
  • Hi, I just tried this - the discount code only works if you type FAMILY18 entirely in capitals.
    Also, though it offers renewals, it doesn't seem to allow you to specify when the new railcard is valid from, so you might end up with overlapping railcard validity periods.
  • pipz_2
    pipz_2 Posts: 61 Forumite
    there was a thread on here a few months ago for a family and friends railcard for 8 pounds - i bought it and have already saved 20 pounds and only used it twice - only prob with it is i cant use it when i travel to london on my own which is very frequent - maybe i should have got a normal single persons railcard???? has been worth it tho
  • RichyRich
    RichyRich Posts: 2,090
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I don't think that there is a normal, single persons railcard (unless you're under 25, disabled, or over 60).

Happy to be corrected, though!
    #145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £11,03.70/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Shortfall: £996.30:eek:
    This is the secret message.
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Thanks for this! I was just about to purchase a 3-year Family & Friends one which would have saved me £8 over the 3 years, instead I used the family code and bought a one year one which has saved me £6. Last year I bought one with the £10 instead of £20 offer so I'm really glad I remembered to check this site!
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • dmarks
    dmarks Posts: 82 Forumite
    Thanks a lot! Was just looking for one! Happy now..!:beer:
  • Hi All. I was just looking at this card and it says you have to travel with at least one child. Does that mean the child has to be there or can you just buy a child's ticket along with an adult one? I know this will be extra cost but could still work out cheaper than paying full fare.:confused:
    Charles J
  • zx2011
    zx2011 Posts: 309
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There is a Railcard for single people(and their families) for those that live in an area from Harwich, King's Lynn, Bedford, Long Buckby, Banbury, Worcester, Bedwyn, Exeter, Weymouth, Isle of Wight(including the ferry crossing) and all the way round the South Coast back to Harwich. See the map for full details http://www.railcard.co.uk/clientfiles/File/08-02-26_NCSD4c__A4_.pdf

Network_SouthEast.png
    It's called the Network SouthEast Railcard. (They don't mention the SouthEast but any more though!)

NB: Network SouthEast ceased to be at the end of 1996 but the RailCard still lives on.

It's £20 for 1 year. You get 1/3 off "off peak" rail fares anywhere in the London and the former Network SouthEast area. You take take up to 4 children(60% off) and 3 other adults for the same fare too. There is a minimum fare of £10 per adult ticket Monday To Fridays.

See http://www.railcard.co.uk/network for full details.

Also every special offer by every rail company can be found at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/promotions/toc_index.html

Also if you're visiting London and the South East there are many 2 for 1 deals to many attractions at www.daysoutguide.co.uk

For other ideas try www.visitlondon.com and www.visitsoutheastengland.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport