hsbc 'Safeguard' letter

Options

Comments

• mojitoman10
    Options
    In my 35 years of retail banking client experience I never been treated as bad as HSBC is doing it now with threats to close my accounts, calling me during my working day and keep asking me personal questions, never calling back as promised, calling behind a no caller id and the list keep growing everyday. I agree time to change bank.

awolo1 wrote: »
    Maybe you shouuld opoen a new bank account to get to grips with the latest banking standards. HSBC has a lot of catching up to do.

I've been with HSBC, who are very picky, but now I'm being picky and looking for a different bank.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    In my 35 years of retail banking client experience I never been treated as bad as HSBC is doing it now with threats to close my accounts, calling me during my working day and keep asking me personal questions, never calling back as promised, calling behind a no caller id and the list keep growing everyday. I agree time to change bank.

Do let us know how you get with any new bank you try to open a current account with...
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do let us know how you get with any new bank you try to open a current account with...

Seems like a fair response to me, if you don't like HSBC then move elsewhere.

I don't hold any accounts with HSBC or indirectly but some of teh anecdotal reports in these forums aren't great.

I've had no problems with identification or intrusion with the six or more banks I hold accounts with, so see no reason not to switch, Halifax. Nationwide and others will after all pay you for doing so.
  • Ellwood1
    Options
    Like many on here, I also received a letter notifying me that the HSBC intended to alter their security measures... with the creation of a new protocol Safeguard.
    I found that many of the questions posed, in their 'new rules- questionnaire letter' to be intrusive and so I declined to divulge the information requested - to some of those inquiries - that I could clearly see & determine had no relevance to my arrangement and agreement with this Bank.
    As a consequence the Bank decided to try to 'strong-arm' me into agreeing to their altered terms, by informing me, with the claim, that as they didn't hold enough information about me to verify who I was, that they would reduce my access to my own funds held in my accounts and limit withdrawals from ATMs to £50 per day, along with declining any further products from the HSBC that I might wish to take out. I still cannot reason why this Bank would allow anyone, the identity of whom they were not fully aware of, to have access to their account... at all, but hey ho.
    Anyway, suffice it to say that as a consequence of the completely unacceptable manner in which the HSBC have conducted themselves in this matter, myself and my wife have decided to change Banks.
    We have found that changing banks to be an incredibly easy procedure to arrange and most liberating.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ellwood1 wrote: »
    Like many on here, I also received a letter notifying me that the HSBC intended to alter their security measures... with the creation of a new protocol Safeguard.
    I found that many of the questions posed, in their 'new rules- questionnaire letter' to be intrusive and so I declined to divulge the information requested - to some of those inquiries - that I could clearly see & determine had no relevance to my arrangement and agreement with this Bank.
    As a consequence the Bank decided to try to 'strong-arm' me into agreeing to their altered terms, by informing me, with the claim, that as they didn't hold enough information about me to verify who I was, that they would reduce my access to my own funds held in my accounts and limit withdrawals from ATMs to £50 per day, along with declining any further products from the HSBC that I might wish to take out. I still cannot reason why this Bank would allow anyone, the identity of whom they were not fully aware of, to have access to their account... at all, but hey ho.
    Anyway, suffice it to say that as a consequence of the completely unacceptable manner in which the HSBC have conducted themselves in this matter, myself and my wife have decided to change Banks.
    We have found that changing banks to be an incredibly easy procedure to arrange and most liberating.

And most importantly profitable.
  • Ellwood1
    Options
    @bigadaj .... quite. Our new bank account arrangement pays us a percentage back annually on household utility bills paid via our account, which we didn't have before... so it's a win win for us..... I'm considering writing a thank-you letter to the HSBC.. :D
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Aretnap wrote: »
    Money laundering and anti-terrorism/organised crime regulations are a lot tighter than they were a 25 years ago, and HSBC are one of the banks hurriedly checking this sort of information for fear of falling foul of the regulators (especially the US ones) and ending up with massive fines.

I suppose you're free not to give them the information if you don't want to, but in return they're free to decide that they don't want you as a customer any more - which can be an unpleasant experience.

That story makes out the guy to be intelligent by saying he used to work in a bank and is now a police officer yet neither him or his wife had and other accounts or credit cards!. If they had another account or even a credit card it would have been a simple case of using that until they could sort the problem out, then there wouldn't have been a big fuss of having to leave shopping unpaid for.
  • mojitoman10
    Options
    well well !!!
    I finally decided to close all my banking relationship with HSBC, They deactivated one of my account on the ground that I didn't give them my taxe returns as documentation requested for their so called " Safeguard" until yesterday I thought only Gov agencies could request these docs.
    They should look at their own actions and crimes they have been commited in the last 5 years in the financial derivatives and commodities with the last scandal in foreign exchange 2 days ago.
    HSBC is by far the worst banking experience I had in my banking years. I have been an expat for 35 years working abroad, they called me on " no caller ID" and do not have any encryption computer system in place to communicate with their clients and they have they want to teach me about internet security.
    BYE BYE HSBC
  • mojitoman10
    Options
    Ellwood1 wrote: »
    @bigadaj .... quite. Our new bank account arrangement pays us a percentage back annually on household utility bills paid via our account, which we didn't have before... so it's a win win for us..... I'm considering writing a thank-you letter to the HSBC.. :D
    I reached the same point now where you were few months ago, I am an expat and I have to fly to close the accounts with HSBC and open new ones. a bit of a hassle but your story made me feel better.
    Thanks
  • Sui
    Options
    A BANK THATS CONSTANTLY IN THE NEWS FOR ......
    Now wants to safegurad us how can we feel safe with a bank that is stated to be moving away from its london office soon. Time to switch before they run off . There are many politer banks and they pay you to switch . Bye hsbc
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback