EON - CMA report - Economy 10 problems

Comments

• You
    You Posts: 79 Forumite
    Malc, perhaps to show you why I don't consider it acceptable that customer service teams and complaints resolution teams have not been made aware of the implications of the CMA report after a year, I will quote to you from a letter I received from resolutions.

Please note that the following was written to me before the meter change, and after I had asked whether I would really need to change the meter and if the CMA report suggested that within 2 months I would be able to move to a fixed tariff:

"The economy 10 meter is classed as a complex tariff and our fixed tariffs are not available to any of the complex set ups and I don’t believe that this is going to be changing. I’m pretty sure this is the same amongst other suppliers. Usually if there is going to be a business change we are briefed months in advance, such as when OFGEM introduced the prepayment price cap."

The resolution offered to me includes the following note:
    "
    • To explain your Economy 10 meter is classed as a complex set up. Therefore you would not be eligible for our fixed tariffs. This is a business decision and the Ombudsman has no remit on our tariffs."
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,848 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Hello molerat. Do you mean adding specific details to certain documents, like bills and statements, sent to customers with restricted meters?

It'll include meter type, name of current tariff, payment method, annual consumption, breakdown of annual consumption, the Meter Point Administration Number (MPAN), standing charges and unit prices, length of time and times the restricted periods are active as well as contact details for the relevant Citizens Advice. This information will start to appear on bills and statements where a restricted meter is involved later this year.

This is something we currently provide when customers ask but are now going to do more formally regardless of whether or not a customer with a restricted meter requests it.

We'll also send metering information concerning restricted meters to the Citizens Advice Bureau and a compliance statement to the CMA.

Not sure if this is what you mean molerat. Let me know if I've misunderstood.

Malc
    Yes correct ......... but I have deleted my post as my comment was based on an out of date / incorrect document that did not have 4.1 delayed until Sept 17 so please ignore ;)
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You wrote: »
    So Malc, if I understand you correctly, what you are saying is that EON's customer service and complaints team have not actually been informed that within a month and a half some sort of measure will be put in to place to open up all single rate tariffs to customers on restricted meters?

Would it not be a good idea to inform them that a change will be coming soon? That might stop them misinforming customers like me and telling us that there is no upcoming legal requirement for us to be offered the cheaper tariffs. It might stop other people like me being misled into having an unecessary meter change at our own expense.
    You wrote: »
    Malc, perhaps to show you why I don't consider it acceptable that customer service teams and complaints resolution teams have not been made aware of the implications of the CMA report after a year, I will quote to you from a letter I received from resolutions.

Please note that the following was written to me before the meter change, and after I had asked whether I would really need to change the meter and if the CMA report suggested that within 2 months I would be able to move to a fixed tariff:

"The economy 10 meter is classed as a complex tariff and our fixed tariffs are not available to any of the complex set ups and I don’t believe that this is going to be changing. I’m pretty sure this is the same amongst other suppliers. Usually if there is going to be a business change we are briefed months in advance, such as when OFGEM introduced the prepayment price cap."

The resolution offered to me includes the following note:
    "
    • To explain your Economy 10 meter is classed as a complex set up. Therefore you would not be eligible for our fixed tariffs. This is a business decision and the Ombudsman has no remit on our tariffs."

Some excellent points You. Many thanks for taking the time to post and for including the details you have. As promised yesterday, I've fed this back to the managers looking after implementing the requirements laid down by the CMA report with respect to restricted meters like Economy 10. I'll follow this up next week with a view to briefing the wider business as to where we're at. I'll also keep the Forums informed as and when I've more concrete information about our plans for restricted meters going forward.

Thanks again for your input You.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    molerat wrote: »
    Yes correct ......... but I have deleted my post as my comment was based on an out of date / incorrect document that did not have 4.1 delayed until Sept 17 so please ignore ;)

Thanks molerat. As above, I'll let the Forums know as soon as I've something more definite about our plans for restricted meters following the CMA report.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • R681
    R681 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Hi, help please !

Like YOU we have a dual rate meter (economy 7) and am prevented from accessing the best deals available through MSE or the comparison sites.

I am keen to know if there is any movement on being able to access single rate tariffs, especially as our current tariff finishes 22 September 2017

We are a high user (12,000 Kw/hr in the last 12 months) and joined GB Energy September 16 after moving house, on a single rate12 month plan.

1. We use 13% night, 87% day. On-line tariff.
    2. The Eon branded electronic meter gives three numbers - the day, night and total.
    3. We are on oil heating, use electricity for cooker etc.

GB Energy (now Co-Op) have told me (twice) that they will not offer a single rate when our tariff ends in 4 weeks time.

After reading this forum today I have queried this with GB Energy and asked them to check their position given the CMA and SLC 22G obligations .... from September 2017. They were not aware of any changes ......currently awaiting their response.

Does anyone know if there is any movement, and if not which energy firms offer a single rate for economy 7 meters ?

Thank you !
  • molerat
    edited 21 August 2017 at 3:15PM
    The CMA changes do not apply to E7 metering, E7 is specifically excluded. Many suppliers will aggregate the day and night readings into a single rate, E.On being one of them. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5608072
    Alternatively you get a single rate meter fitted, which may be chargeable, and may involve some wiring changes at your expense.

I would love to know how you use 12000 kWh with non - electric heating :eek:
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 August 2017 at 3:15PM
    R681 wrote: »
    Hi, help please !

Like YOU we have a dual rate meter (economy 7) and am prevented from accessing the best deals available through MSE or the comparison sites.

I am keen to know if there is any movement on being able to access single rate tariffs, especially as our current tariff finishes 22 September 2017

We are a high user (12,000 Kw/hr in the last 12 months) and joined GB Energy September 16 after moving house, on a single rate12 month plan.

1. We use 13% night, 87% day. On-line tariff.
    2. The Eon branded electronic meter gives three numbers - the day, night and total.
    3. We are on oil heating, use electricity for cooker etc.

GB Energy (now Co-Op) have told me (twice) that they will not offer a single rate when our tariff ends in 4 weeks time.

After reading this forum today I have queried this with GB Energy and asked them to check their position given the CMA and SLC 22G obligations .... from September 2017. They were not aware of any changes ......currently awaiting their response.

Does anyone know if there is any movement, and if not which energy firms offer a single rate for economy 7 meters ?

Thank you !

No problem here accessing the vast array of various E7 tariffs from almost all suppliers from any comparison site

What problems are you experiencing?
    Perhaps call one of the comparison sites if you are struggling to do it online.

If you want a single rate tariff, (where you pay the high amount 24/7 as opposed to E7 that provides you with low cost electricity for 7 hours per day) most suppliers will require you to change to a single rate meter. Your supplier should be able to arrange this for you (many will charge you for this non-essential change of meter)
  • R681
    Thank you Molerat

Not what I want to hear !

Can anyone tell me which firms do offer a single rate tariff for economy 7 ?
  • molerat
    Edited my post with a link to another thread.
  • R681
    Hello Footyguy

Yes, finding economy 7 tariffs is easy
    My problem is they are very wrong / extremely expensive for our usage (which I cannot change), and I need to switch into a "normal" single rate tariff, but cannot as we are registered as economy 7.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure