new business contact detail policy.

soolin
soolin Posts: 72,193 Ambassador
Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Just a reminder that the business spolicy on contact details is being amended in October 2017, I am struggling to find an online link but basically it says:

From October 2017, you’ll no longer be allowed to share contact information in item descriptions, images or eBay Shops.
Icon

We recommend immediately removing any contact information from your item descriptions.
That includes links off eBay and your email address, phone number, or chat ID.

The end of the business update email says:

We’ll let you know which of your listings are non-compliant through email, My eBay Messages, Seller Hub and Seller Manager Pro.

The current policy is here:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/contact-information.html
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    So a proper business is not allowed to pop an address or email or phone number in the decription?

If this is to tidy up the description box so that only information revelant to the item for sale, then all good.

BUT.. If its to stop buyers contacting the seller directly to buy off ebay without using the ebay system at all then a big fail, business sellers should display their details as a legal requirement.

Another case where dodgy sellers "im not a business, just selling stuff to make some money", get away with it and genuine sellers contacted to say which listings are not allowed?

Is this a friendly contact or another way to punish sellers?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,193 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    So a proper business is not allowed to pop an address or email or phone number in the decription?

If this is to tidy up the description box so that only information revelant to the item for sale, then all good.

BUT.. If its to stop buyers contacting the seller directly to buy off ebay without using the ebay system at all then a big fail, business sellers should display their details as a legal requirement.

Another case where dodgy sellers "im not a business, just selling stuff to make some money", get away with it and genuine sellers contacted to say which listings are not allowed?

Is this a friendly contact or another way to punish sellers?

I suspect ebay realise that the majority of buyers completely fail to look for the business contact details we all legally display!

I also suspect this is more to catch businesses that put up a single listing basically as a contact advert, the sort that sell collections or car parts by listing one and suggesting that buyers contact them on the mobile if they are interested in a different model, colour or part . I would also expect unregistered businesses to be caught up as well as differentiating them with the current basic admin programmes that ebay use will be impossible. I know it doesn't matter whether I sell on my business or my private account that if I try and send an email address via a message to someone making an enquiry then that message will not send, I assume the system will act the same and just refuse to list anything that is believes carries a contact detail in the description - at least I hope they level the system up that way!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I must admit i do check the contact details of business sellers, especially the email address which may also link to a website.

If the email is not a generic yahoo/gmail etc then i try it in a browser.

Makes me wonder why a business uses a generic email address. Seems silly to me.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,019 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Makes me wonder why a business uses a generic email address. Seems silly to me.
    Yes. Another pet peeve of mine. It especially annoys me on vans when a company has a website but their email address is a Hotmail or Yahoo account. I've even seen it on cards by people claiming to work in SEO or some other IT area. You can get a professional domain email address hooked up to a Gmail or other account for under a tenner, it's not even hard to do.
  • RFW wrote: »
    Yes. Another pet peeve of mine. It especially annoys me on vans when a company has a website but their email address is a Hotmail or Yahoo account. I've even seen it on cards by people claiming to work in SEO or some other IT area. You can get a professional domain email address hooked up to a Gmail or other account for under a tenner, it's not even hard to do.

Agree 100%. IMHO it speaks volumes that the trader/company are cheapskates and will be the same on the quality of materials supplied and the service rendered.
  • Pierre_De_Grenoble
    Pierre_De_Grenoble Posts: 478 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 August 2017 at 8:57PM
    On topic I don't even believe that it is legal for eBay to hide Business details a couple of clicks away. I'm pretty sure that's a breach of UK consumer law.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure