Petplan - what to claim for?

13»

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,016 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Since the OP is insured with Petplan my reply was relative to that.
  • Your PetPlan premiums will go up each year, as your dog gets older. You will also find your excess will go up over the years, but what PetPlan don't do is hike up the next year's premium if you make a claim. I have two cats who are 14.5 years old. One has had no claims the other maxed out her policy one year (£6000). Their premiums go up each year but they are both the same.

I now pay a £135 excess pus 20% of each claim above that excess, but knowing the life long conditions are covered is good. I would always use PetPlan again, they were so good when I had to put in large claims and paid so quickly.
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
  • adonis10
    adonis10 Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Your PetPlan premiums will go up each year, as your dog gets older. You will also find your excess will go up over the years, but what PetPlan don't do is hike up the next year's premium if you make a claim. I have two cats who are 14.5 years old. One has had no claims the other maxed out her policy one year (£6000). Their premiums go up each year but they are both the same.

I now pay a £135 excess pus 20% of each claim above that excess, but knowing the life long conditions are covered is good. I would always use PetPlan again, they were so good when I had to put in large claims and paid so quickly.

And what is the monthly premium for the two?

Currently ours is £27.11 for 2 cats (aged 2 and 4).
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,104 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Our dog is insured with petplan and has been ridiculously healthy. I have speculated and possibly have posted on here about whether it was worth paying, rather than self-insuring.

All that changed a couple of months ago, with him becoming seriously ill and the vet struggling to diagnose it. It looked as though he would have long-term health problems, but now looks to be something which should resolve more readily.

Petplan have been great. Payments were refunded within days. We filled out a slip with his details each time and the vet claimed on our behalf. We quickly ran up some £3000 worth of costs and they never batted an eyelid. So far it has cost us about £140 a £100 excess and some small things such as food whilst in the day hospital which they didn't cover.

Coincidentally our policy is due to renew in six weeks or so and I'm waiting with interest to see what difference there is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure