New hamster

Hey!

I just need some advice about my new Syrian hamster.

I bought him on Monday (I know, not long ago!) but he appears to be terrified of me! If he's awake and I'm around he just stands, stares and appears to be vibrating when he looks at me. Me and my partner have tried to make him feel comfortable offering him treats etc but he's having none of it.

We took the top off the cage to try and get him used to our hands to try and start picking him up etc but he tried to jump out, I had to quickly grab him to stop him escaping and he squealed (obviously out of fright) but he doesn't seem to be getting over it.

How do I make him realise I'm not there to hurt him but to love him? I feel like he's never going to love me back! :(

Thanks x

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Do you rub your hands in the sawdust on the bottom of the cage to get the smell on them and cover your own smell before putting your hand near him.

Put some tasty food on your hand and let him approach it.
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    He won't love you back, he's a hamster, but as above, tasty food goes a long way, along with time & patience x
  • I have rubbed my hand in the sawdust and tried putting treats in my hand but he just jumps around like I'm trying to murder him :(
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It's just going to take time and patience. Really you would have been better going to a good breeder instead of a pet shop because they would be well handled and used to people.

When I used to get in nervous rescues (all sorts of rodents) I'd spend plenty of time every day with them. Starting with just sitting next to the cage and talking to them, then opening the door and slowly putting my hand in but not trying to touch them. When they were comfortable with my hand in their space I'd start tossing treats and tasty food towards them and building up to them coming closer to me and eventually eating out of my hand. Then progress to little touches, eventually stroking and then finally picking them up.

Once they are ok with being picked up I'd wear a hoodie and pop them in the front pouch and hand feed them.

The whole process has to be done slowly and sometimes if you go too fast you have to go back a stage or two. Some have taken as little as a week and others a few months before they are happy to be handled but it has worked every time.
  • Trina90
    Trina90 Posts: 541 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Daily handling. I used to work with Syrian hamsters and they were much like you described (but also a bit aggressive) so we had to handle them daily. They were fine with picking up once they were used to regular handling.:)
    Mortgage started 2015: £150,000 2016: £130,000 2017: £116,000 2018: £105,000 2019: £88,000 2020: £69,000 2021: £51,195 2023: MORTGAGE FREE!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure