ATOS - help please. Do they read the esa50 or not?

2»

Comments

• dazza-mac
    dazza-mac Posts: 336
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I actually have written a letter sent recorded to request an afternoon appointment and that I would like my assessment recorded.

I did try and phone yesterday on my mobile and they wouldn't call back so I thought I'd send a letter giving my number and asked them to ring me if they needed to speak to me.

I don't know if this was a good idea. I shall wait until the end of next week and if I don't hear anything I suppose I shall just have to go to a public phone (noisy) and dtry and use the freephone number and try to get the appointment changed.

Has anyone else written a request in rather than ring up. If so, did they change the appointment for you?
  • schrodie
    schrodie Posts: 8,410 Forumite
    dazza-mac wrote: »
    I actually have written a letter sent recorded to request an afternoon appointment and that I would like my assessment recorded.

I did try and phone yesterday on my mobile and they wouldn't call back so I thought I'd send a letter giving my number and asked them to ring me if they needed to speak to me.

I don't know if this was a good idea. I shall wait until the end of next week and if I don't hear anything I suppose I shall just have to go to a public phone (noisy) and dtry and use the freephone number and try to get the appointment changed.

Has anyone else written a request in rather than ring up. If so, did they change the appointment for you?

Don't let Atos fob you off and try to say they cannot record your assessment. You have the right to ask for it to be recorded. If Atos kick off just quote them what Grayling said in answer to a question from Frank Field on July 17th:-

"Mr Frank Field: To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions if he will ensure that each Atos assessment centre has a recording device available so that medical assessments can be recorded at the request of a claimant or their representative. [R] [117849]

Chris Grayling: Based on the results of a trial during 2011, we have not implemented universal recording for claimants going through the work capability assessment (WCA). We have asked Atos Healthcare to accommodate requests for audio recording, where a claimant makes a request in advance of their assessment. This approach began in late 2011 and we will monitor take-up during 2012 before making a decision on the requirement for recording assessments, taking into account factors such as value for money and the value it adds to the WCA process.

As part of this process we are also reviewing Atos capacity to provide recordings for those claimants who currently request one. Additional machines have been ordered. However a large scale purchase of machines in the absence of an evaluation of the process is not effective use of public money. Although there have been increases in requests these still represent only a small percentage of overall work capability assessments.

In the meantime, while Atos will do all that they can to accommodate requests for audio recording there may be times when the service cannot be offered, for example where it has not be possible to get access to recording equipment on the date/time of the WCA. In these circumstances clients will be told in advance that their request cannot be accommodated and offered a later date."
  • dazza-mac
    Forumite
    Just another query.

WhenI sent the letter off today to request a later appointment and to have the assessment recorded - the letter was sent to ATOS at my local medical examination centre (which sent me the appointment for the morning assessment).

Should I have sent a letter anywhere else?
  • schrodie
    schrodie Posts: 8,410 Forumite
    dazza-mac wrote: »
    Just another query.

WhenI sent the letter off today to request a later appointment and to have the assessment recorded - the letter was sent to ATOS at my local medical examination centre (which sent me the appointment for the morning assessment).

Should I have sent a letter anywhere else?

Was that the address at the top of the letter you sent it to?

You may want to try contacting them by phone as well if and when you can. Although having sent this outfit a recorded delivery letter at least they can't say they never received it even though they may have!! It's always wise to cover all bases when dealing with the likes of Atos. Also even though you have requested a recorded assessmet it's still a good idea to atke along a friend to act as a witness and also to take notes. Again Atos don't like it but it is another level of protection you can take against Atos.
  • Hi,

I can relate to this situation. Fortunately after two appointments were not suitable due to medical reasons (which they would have known about if they had read the form!), they spoke direct to my doctor and awarded me ESA without a medical. In my communications with them I wanted everything in writing and used email:
    customer-relations@atoshealthcare.com

I assume it is ok to post the email address here as it is clearly displayed on their website: http://www.atoshealthcare.com/contactus

There is also a 01 number on the website which might be cheaper for you from a mobile than the free number. When you talk on the phone I would suggest making a note of what was discussed and back it up by email or letter.

Hope this helps. :)
  • dazza-mac
    Forumite
    schrodie wrote: »
    Was that the address at the top of the letter you sent it to?

QUOTE]

Yes, it was. It's just someone else on another thread mentioned they had sent a letter to ATOS and to the DWP. But I thought I would only have to write to ATOS.

I was thinking of ringing up as well in a few days. It's just I hate talking on the phone and I don't have a landline, so I'd have to use a public, noisy one.

As for taking someone with me. I'm a right billy no mates, and I haven't told many of my family about all my problems as I usually just get the rolling eyes as if to say, "not another whinge about pain". So I can't really ask anyone.

With regards getting someone from a disability group, I'm not sure how much notice you have to give them - and if ATOS insist I keep the morning appointment, it's in approx 2 weeks!
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,580
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    I had my call to book the medical, and he knew all the dates I couldn't do. Booked me in. Then I asked to make sure it would be recorded as per my request (letter stapled to front of ESA50 and written in the form) and he said he hadn't been informed of this. So he was fine about it, cancelled the appointment just made and sent off a request to another Dept who deals with it and said they will be in touch. He couldn't have been nicer, even asked me if there were any more dates I couldn't do and let me add one.

We shall see how it turns out!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport