MOT Cost Cutting discussion

Comments

• Last year I took my 5 year old Xtrail to Nationwide Autocentres in Guildford for an MOT because there was an online offer. The car failed on emissions (but it is diesel) then went on to pass with a infusion of fuel cleaner however I was given a list of 'amber' issues which apparently needed dealing with asap including new front brake disks and pads plus a quote for the recommended work - some £600. I decided to see how the car went on the basis that it had passed so was legally ok and mentally prepared for having a huge bill at the next test.
    Nationwide Autocentres sent me a reminder pack and called me a couple of weeks ago to persuade me to book the car in but on the advice of this website I had already arranged for the Council test centre to do the MOT with a view to damage limitation of the bank account
    So you can imagine my surprise and delight when the Council testing depot in Guildford passed the car first time without fault of any kind, including brakes.........
    I can now only believe that not only were Nationwide Autocentres less than truthful in their assessment of the car in 2007 I'd go as far to say guilty of premeditated fraud as had I accepted their offer to take the car back this year I would be significantly worse off for no reason.....
    In case you didn't get the name thats NATIONWIDE AUTOCENTRES GUILDFORD who are as the name suggests a national company with I would imagine a national policy.....
    Thank you for the advice Martin you're a star
  • Theres one at Woking Road Guildford. Excellent. I was nearly ripped off by Nationwide Autocentres. See post.
  • Bad news! On booking my car today into the Waltham Forest council MOT centre in Walthamstow, London, I was told that the council was preparing to close down the centre. I'm not sure at what stage the decision is, but I'd suggest to everyone if they support these independent council MOT centres then should they use the Waltham Forest council MOT centre to try and reduce its chances of closing. Even write an email or letter to the Council as well might help. I've just emailed them for confirmation and their reasons.

http://www.walthamforest.gov.uk/inde...ot-testing.htm
    Argall Avenue
    London E10 7AS
  • Denbighshire County Council's Fleet Management and Vehicle Maintenance Centre is located on the Expressway Business Park in Bodelwyddan and as well as maintaining the County's vehicles and that of a number of other customers it also has an MOT Testing facility open to the general public.

The Maintenance Centre's opening hours are currently 7.30am to 9pm, Monday to Friday. Please contact us on 01745 839230 if you would like to book a test or discuss any vehicle maintenance issues.

Fleet Management and Vehicle Maintenance
    Expressway Business Park
    Abergele Road
    Bodelwyddan
    LL18 5SQ
  • I know Martin's article on MOT's advises caution when using MOT centres but sometimes it's unavoidable. Just found this great deal from Nationwide Auto Centres which gives £20 off and MOT to refered friends and family - and if they use it you get sent £20 fuel voucher.

http://www.nationwideautocentres.co.uk/ReferAFriend.aspx

Definitley going to give it a go as both cars in our household need doing!! In addition, if you are an AA memeber, you automatically recieve discounts on all services - I will let you know if I get these discounts and am still able to use the £20 discount voucher! :cool:
  • steveo3002
    steveo3002 Posts: 2,731
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I know Martin's article on MOT's advises caution when using MOT centres but sometimes it's unavoidable. Just found this great deal from Nationwide Auto Centres which gives £20 off and MOT to refered friends and family - and if they use it you get sent £20 fuel voucher.

http://www.nationwideautocentres.co.uk/ReferAFriend.aspx

Definitley going to give it a go as both cars in our household need doing!! In addition, if you are an AA memeber, you automatically recieve discounts on all services - I will let you know if I get these discounts and am still able to use the £20 discount voucher! :cool:

nationwide is well known for scamming customers into extra work that isnt needed:mad:
  • kate_pixie
    kate_pixie Posts: 333 Forumite
    Has anyone had bad experiences of Kwik Fit? I know it's an evil chain and that you pay for convenience, but it would save me taking a day off work to get the car MOT'd, and my local Council run MOT Centre is the other side of the county.

Finally a Homeowner 04.10.13 :j

Frugal Living Challenge 2015 £958.70 / £12,000

"So much to do, so much to see. So what's wrong with taking the back streets?"
  • iwanttosave_2
    iwanttosave_2 Posts: 34,292
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    kate_pixie wrote: »
    Has anyone had bad experiences of Kwik Fit? I know it's an evil chain and that you pay for convenience, but it would save me taking a day off work to get the car MOT'd, and my local Council run MOT Centre is the other side of the county.

I was just thinking of them. My OH used them last year (only due to getting a free text with his insurance). They were very good, had to keep going back to technical issues on their side.
    Failed it the first time on a rubber boot (CV boot I think he said), he said 'The thing was it was a new one the year before' :confused:. And that it looked like it has been ground down, and there was no normal ware and tare on it at all.
    Also failed on the emimistions. Cost him like £8 to sort out, kwik-fit wanted £65 to do the work.
    Id say good but worth thinking about.
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • There are a few new MOTMax stations in the local area (Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire) that only do MOT's and advertise the fact that because they only do MOT's they have no vested interest to fail your vehicle. Because of this, they say there pass rate is a lot higher than the national average. They are also doing a few promotions; one is where if your car doesn't pass, you don't pay. The other is by booking online you save £5. The website is www.motmax.co.uk if anyone is interested. Highly recommended!!:j

Just to say I used Motmax on Tuesday in Lincoln, and they are very good plus If you are a women driver the reception is staffed by a women so no intimidation problems like some garages.

Book the car online two weeks in advance print off the voucher and it only costs £29.95.As bananaman said they have no interest in servicing or parts so nothing for them to gain by failing you.
  • quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,428
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    For anyone that's interested

NEW TEST FEES (as of 6th April 2009) >>> http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/newsandevents/pressreleases/2009pressreleases/1-04-09vosaannouncesnewmottestfees.htm

and ........

Where I paid just £16 to get my MOT today !!!
    Posted on the GRABBIT forum >>> http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1672149

AND ...

My experience of using this place last year and this ...
    On the "MSE Cheap MOTs thread for East Midlands >>> http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=21320061
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure