Scuba's Saving the Ha'Pennies

Comments

• scubaangel
    scubaangel Posts: 6,600 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Currently have one box ready to go, and three piles of DVD's on the living room floor which don't quite meet the minimum order values. I have another box of DVD's to sort through so should hit the values eventually.

Whilst sorting them out I've been watching the Spine race live tracking, which is surprisingly compulsive.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Three boxes ready to go - 2 for ziffit and 1 for music magpie, the pile for we buy books has reached their order minimum but I don't have a suitable sized box for it so will see if I can pick up a slightly bigger one while I'm on my travels tomorrow (my local sainsbug still has a stack of boxes for customers to take away so might have something I can use).

I've also pulled in the big bag of shoes from the porch area and have started to thin out the contents - so far I have 9 pairs of assorted black knee boots - different fabrics, heel heights and heel types, and I can't remember when I last wore most of them so there is a big bag of shoes to be dropped in a recycling bin at some point too.

Just need to finish the paprwork for the s.e job I did this afternoon and then can get back to devoting my full attention to the spine live tracking as the three front runners are on the move again after a 3 hour rest stop at Tan Hill.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    scubaangel wrote: »
    I've also pulled in the big bag of shoes from the porch area and have started to thin out the contents - so far I have 9 pairs of assorted black knee boots - different fabrics, heel heights and heel types,

Stilettos, broadswords, kitten and puppies? :rotfl:

And that's already far too much heel knowledge... :eek:
    Just need to finish the paprwork for the s.e job I did this afternoon and then can get back to devoting my full attention to the spine live tracking as the three front runners are on the move again after a 3 hour rest stop at Tan Hill.

They must be keen. It's rather cold up here. Frost on the car when I left work, though still a smidge above zero.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    I think its not keen so much as completely nuts - they're still running today looks like the current front runner will do it in about the same time as last years record time win! The first two competitors are north of Bellingham, the third place guy is closing in on the Bellingham check point, the rest of the field are near or South of Alston still.

This is an annual fascination for me and some of the posters on another forum - the weather last year was that bad that they held the race for 24 hours as it wasnt safe to be out on the route (personally I'd have said it was never particularly safe at this time of year in places!)

Got the keys to the new place, the one thing it didnt have was a washing machine so order a new one which should be delivered and fitted next week. Also ordered an internet connection. Just need to find out what date I can book a removal van for to get the rest of my stuff over there (so far all my books, DVD's and extra toiletries are over there along with the shoes). Going to start dismantling bookcases once the car is reloaded with the stuff I have packed. Got a self employed job today this evening so will go do that, then drop the stuff in the car off on my way home.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Email from ziffit, money for the books sent the other day has been sent, the two boxes of DVD's I sent to them a couple of days later so expect they'll receive them in the warehouse at the end of the week.

Also hit redemption on yougov so have £50 headed to the bank.

Forgot to pick up the boxes and bags from the flat when I left it earlier so not done very much packing tonight, but I have done all the washing I have sat around to get it out of the way. Think I'll dismantle the two bookcases in the living room over the next couple of days then go to the flat with them Thursday evening when I go to the pool (determined to get back in to good habits).

I need to start making time to swim and run again as I've signed up for two Sport Relief events in March a 3 mile run and a 2.5km swim. The swim distance is worrying me slightly as its such a big step up from my normal mile or 1500m swims. But at least in my regular pool it *only* 50 lengths, on the day of the event its in a 25m pool which means 100 lengths and I'm going to want to die from the boredom.

Hopefully tomorrow I can sit down with next weeks forecast of bookings and work out what day I'm best taking off to book removals - am hoping for Tuesday or Wednesday as they'll fit better with the washing machine installation. Then I need to get some filler for the wall in the living room here, and find out what colour the walls are to touch up the scuffs in the porch area from the bike and cover over the filler (thankfully the check in report says patchy paintwork throughout so I can get away with covering the marks and not totally repainting).
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    I failed to go swim.

I did however drop off the extra sets of keys at the agent, and have started to move y clothes in to the house - boxes from the Ikea units so no packing required, jut dropped them in to larger boxes and took them out at the flat. Going to start getting things chucked in to suitcases later this evening - after I've changed my bedding as I feel weird about leaving the same stuff on when there's a second week of vewings at the house.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Work was long and never ending this weekend, capped by my trying hard not to lose my temper with the staff member on duty who was responsible for the safety and security of the guests and buildings because they failed to do a relatively signifcant part of their job - ie stop strangers wandering in.

I have been asked to cover a 24 hour shift doing the same thing in a few weeks time which is nice as it means extra pennies, but I do need to make sure I don't do anything similarly stupid so soon after I need to report this incident. Thankfully it didn't seem to be anything which is a serious problem.

Car is repacked with boxes from the ikea unit, wine carriers with the remains of my alcohol collection, some bags of store cupboard foods. Need to take a couple of bags of stuff out with me tomorrow morning on my way to work and then will unpack the car in to the flat after work. Tuesday I have the washing machine people coming so will take the shark beanbag so I have somewhere to sit, and the brew kit. Given I've another week of busy evening shifts I'll probably plan on taking all my kitchen stuff with me on Tuesday so I can start thinking about cleaning the oven and kitchen cupboards properly.

Have put the move information on to anyvan so will hopefully get a mover booked in the next couple of days.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Work was long and never ending this weekend, capped by my trying hard not to lose my temper with the staff member on duty who was responsible for the safety and security of the guests and buildings because they failed to do a relatively signifcant part of their job - ie stop strangers wandering in.

That is somewhat of a failing.
    I have been asked to cover a 24 hour shift

A "24 hour shift"?!

Like a junior doctor?
    Car is repacked with boxes from the ikea unit, wine carriers with the remains of my alcohol collection,

The current survivors. ;)
    some bags of store cupboard foods. Need to take a couple of bags of stuff out with me tomorrow morning on my way to work and then will unpack the car in to the flat after work. Tuesday I have the washing machine people coming so will take the shark beanbag so I have somewhere to sit,

Always a good thing to sit - real sharks or cartoon?
    and the brew kit.

There's a bit of jargon for you... ;)

Don't forget to leave some means of tea/coffee/beverage behind, in case you find yourself at the "wrong" house.
    Given I've another week of busy evening shifts I'll probably plan on taking all my kitchen stuff with me on Tuesday so I can start thinking about cleaning the oven and kitchen cupboards properly.

Have put the move information on to anyvan so will hopefully get a mover booked in the next couple of days.

Good luck! I detest moving. Actually one of the reasons I want my own place. Which means I have to move. Yes, catch-22...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Movers booked, day to be confirmed when the nice man I as hassling this evening is in the office tomorrow.

Washing machine was delivered and installed this morning, while I was there I started putting things away in the kitchen so the equipment left where I am now includes two baking trays, the scales, and the kettle. Pans can be used to boil water if I'm at the flat before I finish moving although I generally go in drop things off and leave again as at this point I have nowhere to put the things i'm taking - the wardrobe has the ikea boxes on the floor, my lovely big storage cupboard in the living room is full of DVD's and books, and the random stuff boxes. Towels, spare bedding and bedsheets are in the airing cupboard, and there are still too many boxes lying around the living room that I'll need to shuffle while the furniture is being brought in. Of course once the furniture is in I can rebuild the shelves and put things away (one day this is me I like to put things off).

Not planning a viit to the flat tomorrow as am on a late shift so will instead spend the morning dismantling Ikea furniture and making sure anything left in the house is packed and out of the way so I can bring said dismantled flatpack items down stairs.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Minor panic occurring at the moment.

Had assumed that not hearing from the removals people during the day meant that they wouldnt be coming tomorrow - an email at 10pm suggests otherwise. So now finishing off the deconstruction of ikea furniture and hurling stuff in to boxes out of the way ready for the morning.

The fun part will be that I'm now due at work by around midday as I agreed to come in early due to an increase in guest numbers and aforementioned lack of contact from the movers.

Part of me is thinking I should take some of the boxes out to my car now but it's cold and I'm in my pjs so the morning will just have to be good enough.

Right iron should now be warm enough to get my work clothes ready so I can sling the rest in to a suitcase and not worry about the rest of them until weekend.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills