it was about £50 a wheel charge on my last car- only had one

would also wait till the end and get them repaired just before it goes back
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
  • kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    gingerdad wrote: »
    i'd be handing the keys back and getting the bus if you've kerbed it 4 times already - or maybe some parking lesson

there will be a guide for the company you've leased it from as to acceptable damage -but its about 40-50mm long for the company we use and any marks on the alloy itself
    sorry, it's a completely different car from what I'm used to and I am not used to reversing into spaces and parking by the kerb.
  • mrmot
    mrmot Posts: 192 Forumite
    Options
    Tilt the door mirror down so that you can see the distance between the wheel and the kerb and park accordingly.
  • lister
    lister Posts: 239 Forumite
    Options
    As a driving instructor I get the pleasure of teaching people to park close to kerbs (forwards and backwards on a daily basis).

There are two key ingredients...

First, already mentioned, don't try to park millimetres from the kerb. Aim to be 15-20cm, better part of a door mirror's width from the kerb. Gives you some margin for error if you get it wrong.

Secondly, and far more important in my experience. Do it slowly! When you have done it slower than normal, do it again, more slowly, because I bet you weren't slow enough for me the first time (in fact I doubt you will be even then, but it is a start). If you are slow, a) you are more likely to be accurate and be able to correct slight errors, b) if you do touch, you should do so at 0.001mph and cause no damage.
  • d0nkeyk0ng
    d0nkeyk0ng Posts: 873 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mrmot wrote: »
    Tilt the door mirror down so that you can see the distance between the wheel and the kerb and park accordingly.

This. The mirrors only Golf are such that if I drop the right side down, the left one also drops. This means when I'm reversing, I can see where the wheels are going.

I will also reiterate the advice to go slow. I've kerbed my wheels several times (they've been refurbished twice!) and it's always when I'm in a hurry or not paying attention etc.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kmb500 wrote: »
    sorry, it's a completely different car from what I'm used to and I am not used to reversing into spaces and parking by the kerb.

Park in the place you're used to then. The fiesta isn't that much bigger than the MX5 it replace.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Use your mirrors, the big mistake most people make is turning around and peering through the rear window.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    How to avoid kerbing wheels?

Avoid kerbs.
  • wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Park at least 10inches from the kerb - that'll keep you safe.. :)
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    wymondham wrote: »
    Park at least 10inches from the kerb - that'll keep you safe.. :)

I'd say 20, just to be on the safe side.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure