My [37M] wife [33F] sulks for 4-5 days almost every time we have an argument

Options
Does it sound normal to you?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Passive aggression. Normal behaviour for some people, but not something I would (or could) put up with.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It might be .... to answer people'd really need to have been a witness to the whole argument and previous arguments etc etc.

It could be something she is doing - or something she is doing because of you, so it might be 'your fault'.

She might be sulking because she lost and doesn't like losing an argument.
    She might be sulking because you weren't listening and she should've won the argument as you're just wrong.

Is she child-like?
    Are you child-like?

Is she like that with everybody? Or just you?
    Do other people in your life stop speaking to you?

It's complex.
  • arbrighton
    arbrighton Posts: 2,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What are the random numbers/ letters about?
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    arbrighton wrote: »

I think it's to indicate the age & sex of the parties involved.

Isn't this a case of deja vu?
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It depends what the arguments are about!

You left a teabag in the sink - way OTT and unusual.

You had an affair - probably an under-reaction

You left a teabag in the sink for the 106th time despite her asking you not to and explaining that it upsets her but you tell her to **** off and tidy it up herself - maybe justified.
  • gilbutre
    gilbutre Posts: 434 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It might be .... to answer people'd really need to have been a witness to the whole argument and previous arguments etc etc.

It could be something she is doing - or something she is doing because of you, so it might be 'your fault'.

She might be sulking because she lost and doesn't like losing an argument.
    She might be sulking because you weren't listening and she should've won the argument as you're just wrong.

Is she child-like?
    Are you child-like?

Is she like that with everybody? Or just you?
    Do other people in your life stop speaking to you?

It's complex.

She has a problem with time, scheduling things and is kinda negligent about it, as a result of which I sometimes find myself forced by her to fix the consequences, like four days ago. I refused to do so and now she sulks.

We're both generally not child-like, she does that only with me (but only lives with me too so...) and is the only one doing it with me (same, I only live with her)
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    arbrighton wrote: »

I thought they were clothing measurements or something.
  • gilbutre
    gilbutre Posts: 434 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    avogadro wrote: »
    Passive aggression. Normal behaviour for some people, but not something I would (or could) put up with.

I told her to stop doing that, 5 days feels excessive to me. But she doesn't. I won't divorce for that, we have kids too. Only idea I have is when she comes back to me I tell her "my turn, see you in 5 days". Or maybe I can say 10 days. Apart from that I have no clue how to manage it.
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    People who are sulkers (personally I prefer a good row) generally show it sooner rather than later. So if she only shows it with you and it wasn't in evidence before you married, then you've probably driven her to it.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    gilbutre wrote: »
    I told her to stop doing that, 5 days feels excessive to me. But she doesn't. I won't divorce for that, we have kids too. Only idea I have is when she comes back to me I tell her "my turn, see you in 5 days". Or maybe I can say 10 days. Apart from that I have no clue how to manage it.

What is the sulker trying to gain from the situation? Power over somebody else, perhaps? The enjoyment of having somebody chase after them and try to get them to talk. Perhaps they have in mind refusing to speak until the 'wrong' that's been done to them gets rectified.

Making them feel and look silly for being so childish is probably the best course of action.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure