Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread

Comments

• LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Plenty of bleach should do the trick LEJC...In a bucket with a broom...:rotfl:

Thanks for that marmite....and then after it's still plenty of bleach and even a nail brush to get into all the nooks and crannies....this ***** gets everywhere!!!!!!
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • Guess who's back....anyone noticed :eek: ;)
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    LEJC wrote: »
    How did you know I bought 3 dysons at £300 a pop each....???
    my excuse at the time was they were for the rentals.......

get your daughter to write regarding the issues that are still outstanding from check in and ask for a time frame to resolve....its better writing than just mentioning it in passing as it makes them have to acknowledge your query because of a paper trail.....be persistent its what she pays her rent for....although at this stage she does need to pay rather than with hold any to rectify the issues.

Eldest son and his GF had endless moving in issues with their flat, finally moved in 2 days after the original move in date only to find that it had not been professionally cleaned - ie unclean look, dirty work surfaces, dirty oven etc

So they reported all of the issues online again.

On Sunday afternoon we had been there for the day and we came back from town to find the cleaners had arrived - ie 4 days after moving in day. The cleaners did not know the flat was already occupied and the agency had not emailed to say the cleaners were arriving on Sunday afternoon.
    The cleaners were very nice and asked GF what she wanted doing in particular - she said bathroom, oven etc and they said they would also deal with the dust on the very high ceilings
    So the cleaners were in for 3 hours that Sunday afternoon - and still the oven wasn't cleaned

The previous tenant left a bin bag which contained dirty and soiled bedding and instead of this being disposed of it was listed on the inventory :mad:
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • mhoc
    Forumite
    Guess who's back....anyone noticed :eek: ;)

Father Christmas?
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • LEJC
    edited 13 October 2016 at 10:26AM
    mhoc wrote: »

I think I would also be very tempted by £3 coffee and cake especially as you are supporting a local business and spending your money in your area and not giving it to a global firm.

I think you just have to build some Fun Money into the budget say maybe £10
    - then there is enough for the occasional splurge with no feelings of regret or misery - coffee and cake once a month, a bag of chips from the chip shop on the way home, a Lindt bar of chocolate to have with a soppy film on a wet cold night, a sausage roll from Greggs ...

I totally get this....

the other night on one of my thinking sessions I did think how things change at various life stages and I am content at the moment financially...there have been hard times and there have been better times but right now I think that we are moving into a period of being able to live well and enjoy without too much financial strain...
    However we are not getting younger and there are fewer working years ahead than have gone so it did make me think about the need to future proof the years that we will hopefully enjoy and pensions and the deals for the more maturing people in society are not great and going forward into the next 10 -20 years may prove a harder transition than I would like.....its incredibly obvious that when we retire we will not have the standard of living we now enjoy and very tentatively I may subconsciously be starting to plan ahead rather than living for the moment and having to survive on something far less than we have been used to....

deep thinking for a Thursday morning....but maybe a change of shift in priorities might be occurring in our household in order to maximise the ability to obtain something better in later years...god willing.

• LEJC
    mhoc wrote: »
    Eldest son and his GF had endless moving in issues with their flat, finally moved in 2 days after the original move in date only to find that it had not been professionally cleaned - ie unclean look, dirty work surfaces, dirty oven etc

So they reported all of the issues online again.

On Sunday afternoon we had been there for the day and we came back from town to find the cleaners had arrived - ie 4 days after moving in day. The cleaners did not know the flat was already occupied and the agency had not emailed to say the cleaners were arriving on Sunday afternoon.
    The cleaners were very nice and asked GF what she wanted doing in particular - she said bathroom, oven etc and they said they would also deal with the dust on the very high ceilings
    So the cleaners were in for 3 hours that Sunday afternoon - and still the oven wasn't cleaned

The previous tenant left a bin bag which contained dirty and soiled bedding and instead of this being disposed of it was listed on the inventory :mad:

I think everyone has at least one horror story and TBH the subject of cleanliness is a subjective one whereby everyones standard is different.

As it stands at the moment with the rental we are sorting out I wouldn't even let anyone view it with a possibility of taking a rental on let alone expect anyone to move into it....

• LEJC wrote: »
    How did you know I bought 3 dysons at £300 a pop each....???
    my excuse at the time was they were for the rentals.......

get your daughter to write regarding the issues that are still outstanding from check in and ask for a time frame to resolve....its better writing than just mentioning it in passing as it makes them have to acknowledge your query because of a paper trail.....be persistent its what she pays her rent for....although at this stage she does need to pay rather than with hold any to rectify the issues.

It was the first thing that popped into my head :rotfl:, smilies are back.

Yes she is still paying full rent I just meant that she will expect her money even though she hasn't done what she promised. It's a good idea writing to them I hadn't thought of that one, thank you.

Mhoc I totally agree with you, we were broke but we were happy and we often talk about it and are always grateful that things improved. I'm trying to remind myself that I have to be cruel to be kind with Dd because I don't want them to struggle the way we did but at some point she has to go it alone. We will never see them without food but they have to get used to budgeting for themselves.
  • LEJC
    Guess who's back....anyone noticed :eek: ;)

Who...have I missed something or just being terribly naive ?

• LEJC wrote: »
    Who...have I missed something or just being terribly naive ?

I know what they mean just not who they mean I can think of a few idiots it could be:eek:
  • mhoc
    Forumite
    Possibly the theme this month - time for change and renewal and deep thinking and re evaluating our needs and our priorities

I know the stage we are at is very transitory, the calm before the next storm. OHs health is not perfect but he keeps doing the Duracell bunny and keeps plodding onwards as he says these are his best earnings years so he is not giving that up without a fight. He says he will see what happens after the next big work upheaval but they wont make him redundant because it would cost them too much :D
    He says he would go part time in a few years but I think he would be bored rigid at home - this is the problem when you have worked solidly since you were 16, how to adjust to the next phase of your life.
    And also how does anyone cope with a big drop in income, even with savings to cover the shortfall, its a lot to get your head around?
    When I do the sums I only count the possible ammounts that OHs 2 pensions would give but not the state pension - I expect the state pension age to rise yet again to even closer to 70 so I don't factor that in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure