Not posting internationally but someone overseas made a purchase

Options
Just looking for a bit of advice please. An item I had listed, but stated no international postage, was purchased by someone in the US who then sent a message asking how much the postage would be. I explained that I did not have international postage on the listing so I wouldn't be sending it. The item is a vintage collectable ceramic piece.

This person had zero feedback and only joined that particular day so it rang alarm bells. That was 4 days ago. I just wondered if I'd be okay to relist my item now.

Also I hope I'm not breaking any of EBay's rules but I think I should be okay because I did not have international postage listed for this item. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone."

Comments

• mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just because you do not have a price for international post does not mean it is not possible to purchase outside of UK. You need to block people from outside of the UK bidding by choosing where you will post the item to in the listing.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Also remember that you will be paying FVFs on the transaction until it is cancelled in some way.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This happened to me recently.

I always block internationally but for some reason unknown to me one of my listings was showing the ebay Global shipping program. How that happened I do not know and someone from Austria won the auction.

I made a request to cancel the transaction saying an error had occurred and I did not ship internationally.

It took a couple of requests but eventually the buyer agreed to cancel and so the fees were refunded.

I lost a few pence on paypal when I refunded but worth it.
  • ailey
    ailey Posts: 3,184 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    Just because you do not have a price for international post does not mean it is not possible to purchase outside of UK. You need to block people from outside of the UK bidding by choosing where you will post the item to in the listing.

I do send some items internationally but always have it marked on my listing for the various countries if I would send outwith the UK. I just had postage to the UK on this one and other collectables I have listed. Because I didn't have any other countries ticked, can people still buy the item if they are overseas if they possibly go into the UK version of EBay? Is there any other way to block on an individual listing? Many thanks. :)
    soolin wrote: »
    Also remember that you will be paying FVFs on the transaction until it is cancelled in some way.

Thanks soolin......I forgot about that! If I cancel this, do I get any strikes or something against me? I think I remember reading something about that. I don't very often check my report but I think I might get a mark against me. I don't suppose the person who wished to buy would agree to cancel either. Was just a bit worried as he had zero feedback and only joined that day. I was trying to find out where to check someone's previous EBay ID as I've seen that somewhere before, just to check if he had a previous account and possibly did not have good feedback. Thanks soolin. :)
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    This happened to me recently.

I always block internationally but for some reason unknown to me one of my listings was showing the ebay Global shipping program. How that happened I do not know and someone from Austria won the auction.

I made a request to cancel the transaction saying an error had occurred and I did not ship internationally.

It took a couple of requests but eventually the buyer agreed to cancel and so the fees were refunded.

I lost a few pence on paypal when I refunded but worth it.

I opted out of the Global Shipping Programme as someone in Italy bought a small item and it cost them £11 odds (if I remember rightly) through the GPS and it would only have cost £3 odds if I had not gone through that. It seems to rip off overseas buyers.

Do you think it would be worth me asking the buyer to cancel the sale? I thought it was me who would have to do the cancelling. Do I just need to send the person a message so that I can get an agreement from them then I can go ahead and cancel without any comeback? He probably won't agree as I just think it was going to be a rip-off person who would have claimed that the item never arrived. Many thanks, Poppyoscar. :)
    "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone."
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ailey wrote: »
    I do send some items internationally but always have it marked on my listing for the various countries if I would send outwith the UK. I just had postage to the UK on this one and other collectables I have listed. Because I didn't have any other countries ticked, can people still buy the item if they are overseas if they possibly go into the UK version of EBay? Is there any other way to block on an individual listing? Many thanks. :)

You need to set up your blocks to block people who 1. Buyers in locations to which I don't post and 2. to exclude countries. Then, on each listing you can select the countries you will allow. You tick boxes, you don't add the detail to the text of the listing. Make sure you add the postage cost when you tick a country to post to.

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BuyerBlockPreferences
    http://cgi5.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ExcludeShippingList

For others wishing to do a full block, don't forget GSP.

Do you think it would be worth me asking the buyer to cancel the sale? I thought it was me who would have to do the cancelling. Do I just need to send the person a message so that I can get an agreement from them then I can go ahead and cancel without any comeback? He probably won't agree as I just think it was going to be a rip-off person who would have claimed that the item never arrived. Many thanks, Poppyoscar. :)

Why don't you send them the postage cost (if you want to go ahead with the sale). They may want the item knowing the cost. Otherwise you need to cancel with the reason - there is an issue with the address - that will avoid any strike. Be sure to explain to the customer first.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options

I opted out of the Global Shipping Programme as someone in Italy bought a small item and it cost them £11 odds (if I remember rightly) through the GPS and it would only have cost £3 odds if I had not gone through that. It seems to rip off overseas buyers.
    It depends what it is as far as being a rip off goes, some items work out as not a bad deal for the overseas buyer.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    Options

Thanks soolin......I forgot about that! If I cancel this, do I get any strikes or something against me? I think I remember reading something about that. I don't very often check my report but I think I might get a mark against me. I don't suppose the person who wished to buy would agree to cancel either. Was just a bit worried as he had zero feedback and only joined that day. I was trying to find out where to check someone's previous EBay ID as I've seen that somewhere before, just to check if he had a previous account and possibly did not have good feedback. Thanks soolin. :)

Click on the transaction on your ebay selling page on the right hand side choose cancel order and follow the procedure. This will tell ebay you want to cancel and they notify the buyer.

I also messaged the buyer explaining the situation and asked him to respond to the ebay cancellation request.

You can cancel without his agreement but then you will have to pay the fees. If you do a mutual cancellation you get the fees refunded.

You should do something, either cancel or send it.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options

You can cancel without his agreement but then you will have to pay the fees. If you do a mutual cancellation you get the fees refunded.

You should do something, either cancel or send it.

Cancellations changed a year or so back.

The options for a seller are now - issue with address/buyer cancelled - or - out of stock. There isn't a mutual cancellation choice on eBay.co.uk

The OP needs to be paid for the postage before he/she sends it.

The best way forward is for the OP to make a decision on whether they will send or not and then let the buyer know the cost (if they are going to). Hopefully the buyer agrees. Failing that, the seller should cancel.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    Options
    [QUOTE=theonlywayisup;71443105]Cancellations changed a year or so back.

The options for a seller are now - issue with address/buyer cancelled - or - out of stock. There isn't a mutual cancellation choice on eBay.co.uk

The OP needs to be paid for the postage before he/she sends it.

The best way forward is for the OP to make a decision on whether they will send or not and then let the buyer know the cost (if they are going to). Hopefully the buyer agrees. Failing that, the seller should cancel.[/QUOTE]

I did this last month.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    I did this last month.

I've just done another. This is the view I get and have done for a year or so. There is no mutual cancellation option. Just those I said above.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure