Kitchen Sink, which one

Options
Hi may i know, which kitchen sink is good one. what kind of stainless steel need to select. either 304 or other model? and what brand is reasonable. anyone heard about Pyramis, heard it from Greece. Teka from germany. Rubine from china, how about Sorento?from china also? what is the minimum thickness that we need to consider?

Comments

• ryder72
    ryder72 Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stick to Blanco, Franke or Reginox. You wont go wrong.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • CKdesigner
    CKdesigner Posts: 1,234 Forumite
    Options
    We only do Blanco. They have ranges to suit low, middle and high end.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ryder72 wrote: »
    Stick to Blanco, Franke or Reginox. You wont go wrong.
    I did. The Blanco sink I bought is shallower than my Franke Ascona.

Although the dimensions are not hugely different, the experience of using them is. I only get wet with the Blanco.

It's going on the Bay...
  • ryder72
    Options
    splashback from the sink is usually down to not having a suitable tap. Mostly taps without flow restrictors and suitable aerators.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Davesnave
    Options
    splashback from the sink is usually down to not having a suitable tap. Mostly taps without flow restrictors and suitable aerators.
    Understood, although in this instance the two came together as a package and it's not the tap I have a problem with; I'd keep that.

The sink is just too shallow to fit a standard sized bowl in it comfortably, whereas in the Franke, it goes in fine.

I realise this is probably an unusual situation, as I've had a few sinks in my time and never experienced this before. Perhaps it's a way to get a marginally larger cupboard space?

I just made the obviously wrong assumption that all 1.5 bowl sinks were pretty similar, size-wise, and the kitchen co were no help whatever in choosing.

Anyway, it's a £600 mistake, worth flagging-up.
  • ryder72
    Options
    Davesnave - I am surprised you say that because 80-90% of both Blanco and Franke sinks are about the same depth ~175-180mm. They do a few deeper ones. So unless you arent comparing a like for like sink, they should be within a few mm of each other.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was going to have a stainless steel sink for my new kitchen , after having a moulded one, but the kitchen centre man suggested fragranite, as it doesn't scratch like metal does. (he wasn't after a sale, as he knew my husband can get sinks cheaply from his employer.)
  • ryder72
    Options
    Fragranite will scratch. Try it. And its not repairable. (You shouldnt use bleach on it either). A steel sink scratch can be polished out and you can use bleach on it.

Dont believe anyone that tells you composite sinks are the perfect solution. They all have their weaknesses.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Davesnave - I am surprised you say that because 80-90% of both Blanco and Franke sinks are about the same depth ~175-180mm. They do a few deeper ones. So unless you arent comparing a like for like sink, they should be within a few mm of each other.
    Sorry, it's taken me some time to reply, but the measurements are as follows:

Franke: 435x350x185mm (last measure depth of main bowl to lip of unit)

Blanco: 420x340x160mm

The differences may seem minimal, but they make a lage difference in use. The Franke has a much more pronounced lip between the edge of the bowl and the edge of the unit which controls splashing better.

The sinks are 2014/15 and 1.5 bowl models. Would it be possible to swap them? They're both 1m long, but the Franke is 10mm wider at 510mm, although this may notaffect the cut-out.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    People polish their sinks? I really don't get that. My life is too busy with things to be polishing a sink.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure