BMW i3 Electric Car - Am I Mad!

Stageshoot
Stageshoot Posts: 592 Forumite
edited 5 October 2016 at 10:26PM in Motoring
OK Just looking for some opinions on this prospective purchase

First about my driving

I cover about 20k miles a year for work. Most days I do about 80-90 miles with 5 or 6 days a month longer trips of about 300 miles a day.

I currently drive a 2015 Volvo V40 D2. It gets me an easy 65mpg day in day out. Its probably the best car I have ever owned.

BUT I have started looking at the BMW i3 (with range extender). About 80-90 miles Electric range and the little petrol engine as a backup.

For Charging I have FREE Charging available overnight so on days I do 80-90 miles it will be totally no cost motoring as I can charge it free overnight.

On the longer trips I can fast charge it free when I get to my location before return trip so only maybe £2/£3 in petrol on these trips.

I love the idea of Electric but have baulked at it up to now as did not like the idea of EDIT (NOT HAVING) a backup power source the i3 solves this for me

I will be in Central London 3 days a week so this will also save me the Congestion Charge as its CC free) and It would get me free parking/charging in Westminster. so saving parking charges as well

(Currently when driving into London I have to get in really early to avoid the CC and leave after the charge finishes which is a pain sometimes)

I have found a nice 65 Reg well specced i3 RE for £21000ish

My worries are with the rapid changes in battery technology is this thing going to be as out of date as in iPhone 4 in 4 years time!.

Will it depreciate faster than a standard petrol/diesel car.

Am I best holding off on the dream of Electric for now and sticking with what is still only an 18 month old ultra reliable and superb Volvo Oil burner..

I know its a very personal and subjective choice but would be interested in thoughts and opinions.
Over 100k miles of Electric Motoring and rising,

Comments

• knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,988 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If I were in your position I would go for it!
    But double check the agreement.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Stageshoot wrote: »
    I currently drive a 2015 Volvo V40 D2. It gets me an easy 65mpg day in day out. Its probably the best car I have ever owned.

BUT I have started looking at the BMW i3 (with range extender). About 80-90 miles Electric range and the little petrol engine as a backup.
    So the Volvo's getting about 15mpg (nearly 20%) down on the official economy, but you're happy to go by the official range for the i3...
    For Charging I have FREE Charging available overnight
    Umm, not quite. Somebody else is paying for that electricity.

Who? Is it long-term sustainable? What if the charge point is unavailable for some reason - maintenance, or somebody else's electric car being plugged in, or this kind benefactor gets bored of paying for your fuel? You need to be away overnight - electricity available then?
    I love the idea of Electric but have baulked at it up to now as did not like the idea of a backup power source the i3 solves this for me
    You didn't like the idea of a backup power source, but the i3's backup power source solves it.
    <scratches head>
    The i3's REX is, basically, a small generator in the boot using a motorbike engine. Running on that alone, it gets about 36mpg, and you need to fill up every 70 miles or so.
  • Stageshoot
    Stageshoot Posts: 592 Forumite
    edited 5 October 2016 at 10:27PM
    AdrianC wrote: »
    So the Volvo's getting about 15mpg (nearly 20%) down on the official economy, but you're happy to go by the official range for the i3...

Umm, not quite. Somebody else is paying for that electricity.

Who? Is it long-term sustainable? What if the charge point is unavailable for some reason - maintenance, or somebody else's electric car being plugged in, or this kind benefactor gets bored of paying for your fuel? You need to be away overnight - electricity available then?

You didn't like the idea of a backup power source, but the i3's backup power source solves it.
    <scratches head>
    The i3's REX is, basically, a small generator in the boot using a motorbike engine. Running on that alone, it gets about 36mpg, and you need to fill up every 70 miles or so.

Fair points.

Yes the V40 can give a lot more, I can get 80mpg if I drive it like a saint on the Mway, from what I have read the i3 figures seem fairly accurate.

I have access to 3 charging points next to home with no public access and have already been promised access at night so thats not an issue. (I agree there is a cost but its bourne by the electric supplier)

Confused over comments about backup power source (I said I had been put off electric before as there was no backup in case of emergency the i3 overcomes that) EDITED ORIGINAL POST (Missed out Pertinent words Doh!)

Yes I agree when on Petrol the i3 is very very poor at 80 miles for 9 litres. and that is something I am taking serious account of, and working out how many miles a month I would have to do on the petrol backup.

Thanks for your points and I do agree Electric is not the Golden Goose, thats why I was looking for opinions its very easy to get clouded view when just looking yourself with the thought of a shiny new toy.
  • AdrianC
    Yes the V40 can give a lot more, I can get 80mpg if I drive it like a saint on the Mway, from what I have read the i3 figures seem fairly accurate.
    If there's a difference between the "real-world" results from each, then it's due to the electric vehicle drivers adopting a much more parsimonious driving style. Official figures for all vehicles, regardless of fuel source, are worked out on the same driving cycle.
    http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/fcb/the-fuel-consumption-testing-scheme.asp
    test-cycle2.gif
  • AdrianC wrote: »
    If there's a difference between the "real-world" results from each, then it's due to the electric vehicle drivers adopting a much more parsimonious driving style. Official figures for all vehicles, regardless of fuel source, are worked out on the same driving cycle.
    http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/fcb/the-fuel-consumption-testing-scheme.asp
    test-cycle2.gif

Agree that it is probably a more frugal driving style on Electric that accounts for the better real world MPG. Lets be honest nothing better for sharpening the mind to economy than knowing you are up the creek without a paddle if you dont drive economically enough to get home ;-)

Really the entire MPG testing at the moment is a load of carp that has been twisted by the manufacturers to produce very hard to replicate real world figures just to put a car into a low VED bracket.

I had a 0.9 Twinair 500 and that was laughable trying to achieve manufacturer figures. (But the savings on congestion charge made it worthwhile)

The V40 is more realistic 80mpg is more than possible locked on 56mph on the M1 on Autocruise but its just so boring.

that is one of my main worries on the i3. I am not a fast driver and am happy to sit at 60/65 to get a decent economy. But do like the option to move if needed, as all the Electrics seem to be limited on top speed it seems maybe they suffer more than traitionals by giving it the heavy foot.
  • AdrianC
    Really the entire MPG testing at the moment is a load of carp that has been twisted by the manufacturers to produce very hard to replicate real world figures just to put a car into a low VED bracket.
    I'm not sure I agree.
    The ONLY way to produce figures comparable between cars is to have a lab-based defined cycle, consistent over a fairly long time period. That's what we've got, and have long had. Before the current setup, we had static speeds. EASY to game.
    It's just that the engine management technology has advanced to the stage where it's a doddle to get the car to recognise when it's on the cycle.

The fundamental problem is that people base their buying decisions on the wrong things.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    80-90 miles is the best the beemer will achieve on a full charge. In practice I expect you will get less?
    My friend has recently purchased a Tesla which has a far greater range. Nevertheless it was quite tiresome to wait an hour to "fast" charge during a longer journey.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Also be aware that heating, which you need quite often in this country also comes from the battery and will hammer the range down from the official. You can always use the heat sparingly but on longer journeys being cold is a miserable life.

Also have you tried one? when the engine runs on an I3 its a bit frenetic, sounds like a petrol strimmer on full throttle about to blow up! (I have sat at charging stations with these parked next to me and always thought what the hell is that racket!)
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I have access to 3 charging points next to home with no public access and have already been promised access at night so thats not an issue. (I agree there is a cost but its bourne by the electric supplier the electricity supplier's customers)
    Fixed that for you.

:)
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • sillygoose wrote: »
    Also be aware that heating, which you need quite often in this country also comes from the battery and will hammer the range down from the official. You can always use the heat sparingly but on longer journeys being cold is a miserable life.

Also have you tried one? when the engine runs on an I3 its a bit frenetic, sounds like a petrol strimmer on full throttle about to blow up! (I have sat at charging stations with these parked next to me and always thought what the hell is that racket!)

Range extender switches off at 9mph so whatever is making the noise, it ain't the range extender.

Also the range extender is exactly that, it's to give extra range. People look at it as a hybrid when it's not, th petrol engine cannot drive the car and is not linked to the drivetrain in any way it's just a generator. I think the OP is looking at it the right way though, petrol is a fallback not a way to drive around. (I know this has already been said)

The earlier models would struggle to get 70miles of real world motorway driving, and as low as 50 if you drive it hard with big electrical loads on. The new 94aH models make much more sense and have DC charging as standard which is the option to go for. Long battery warranty and BMW standing behind the product (which they do quite well) would mean I'd be comfortable enough to buy one.

Just my personal opinion of course, but I am an i3 fan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure