PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter

1511512513514515517»

Comments

• Welcome FLUFFY MUFFIN and STORYMAKER

Looks like you both have a plan of action each for what you are going to do. Must admit I have my list but still haven't really done much on it as finances aren't permitting just yet.

Have been looking at things I can get in stock to give to boyfriend to take to work - he is not really a soup fan - will eat it at home occassionally but its not the sort of thing he would take to work and come winter it will be a bit chilly so want him to have something warm. Know they had a microwave and kettle etc but last I heard the microwave broke so Im thinking more along the lines of pot noodles/cuppa soups now Im afraid. Theory being if hes cold enough he'll eat it.

Also made a start on some Xmas shopping yesterday - wilkinsons had a learn to crawl butterfly in two weeks ago when I was idea gathering with Ben fro baby holly and he said he'd like to get her it as a special present from him. I went in yesterday and they were on teh sale shelf with £7.57 written on them and a HALF PRICE sticker so thought I'd enquire if that was the half price price or was it being halved again, the lady ran it through the till and it scanned up as £3.73 --- BARGAIN! :T:T so now that is under the bed for holly bump from her big brother.

Also found yesterday a WWE poncho which was £3.95 reduced down to £1.95 and a Batista (wrestler) towel from £3.95 down to £1.95 so now have both of those for Ben under the bed too.

So at least its a start. Figure I may make a trip to primarki and just buy everyone pyjamas this year and then maybe add a little thing to personalise it for the receiver.
    HBA1C 46 - 4/04/2023
    Declutter challenge for Jan - 20 /100
    Frugal Living challenge 2024 - £0 / £2200
    Savings for 2024 - so far £0.00
  • ginnyknit wrote: »
    Her friend is due to have number 4 this week and she described her children as a burden - how sad :(.

That has made me feel so sad as I would have loved four children but sadly hubby and I have not had any at all. I have a friend who does nothing but moan about her beautiful two boys and I just think its not fair - I obviously look at this point of view through rose tinted glasses but hope you know what I mean. I still live in hope at the age of 46 that I have a miracle baby but looking less and less likely

Would just like to say thanks for this brilliant thread as I am aiming to be ready for winter early and now have a long list of things to do (not sure hubby will be pleased as he will be the one doing most of it lol).
    :wave: Kate :hello:
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    nannyboo1 wrote: »
    That has made me feel so sad as I would have loved four children but sadly hubby and I have not had any at all. I have a friend who does nothing but moan about her beautiful two boys and I just think its not fair - I obviously look at this point of view through rose tinted glasses

i don't think you're looking through rose coloured glasses... i'm the child of a person much like the mentioned type, the kind that see their kids as a burden. and i can tell you it's not at all 'nice' for the kids, i'm sure they can feel the tension, i certainly did!

i too feel sorry for those children having been one myself. on the other side of that coin it really really makes me proud that my own daughter tells me all the time that she's so happy that her own mum looks after her so well. after what i grew up with that's probably the best accolade i could have received!

the way i look at it is that some people just aren't cut out for children. with my mum it was partly selfishness, partly the way she was brought up. i even struggled to connect with my wee one when she was small but i pushed myself hard to get closer and be better because i didn't want her to think and feel the things about me that i did about my own mother, there was no way i wanted to perpetuate that cycle.

it's not all bad though. it's fairly easy to know most of the things we should do for our kids... my mother unintentionally taught me all the things not to do which isn't always as easy to figure out. and whilst i suffered for it my own daughter is thriving because of it.
  • Afternoon Everyone,

Thankyou for the warm welcome, I feel at home already :grin:..

I just wanted to share a little thought I have about my children,
    I know that some do not appreciate their "little treasures" as they should, calling them a burden is so sad. And it does make it hard for ones that do not have children at present, but truly do deserve them. Then you have ones that are blessed with them who perhaps need to do things differently, shall we say....;)

But my thought was this, in the cold winter mornings I love the idea of them going off to school with that "Ready Brek" glow around them, so my children have something like tweetabix or porridge to warm their tummys and it will hopefully keep them satisfied until lunchtime.

My eldest daughter is 15 and so doesn't like to eat much at lunchtime at school, she is very self concious, so she has a good warm breakfast, I give her cereal bars and cheese sticks that she can quiety nibble on and a bottle of water (it's either this or she would rather go without) and before you know it she's home and eats a good snack before tea time which she will eat all of.

My children are my number one priority and so are their tummys, as the winter sneeks up on us I like to know that while my children are not in my care and are at school, that they are fully equiped for their day too. If I know it's going to rain, (and doesn't it always at 3pm???) then a spare pair of socks is left in their p.e bag. I leave a pound in their school bags just incase they need to phone home (every now and then I check to make sure it's their, so they know not to spend it), maybe even have a cereal/energy bar in their bag for an emergency snack.

A few years ago we had a very heavy snowfall around 2pm that lasted all afternoon, cars were stranded on the motorways, roads were inpassable, people had to spend the night at leisure centers and in service stations, we went to collect our children from school and the snow was so bad we could not see them across the playground, some children had travelled to school in a car and so had no coats on, it was a nighmare as you can imagine and quite frightening. I know this was rare but three of my children now walk home by themselves (but together iykwim) I would hate for them to be ill prepared.
  • Confuzzled wrote: »
    continue trying to find boots that actually fit my long wide feet :((hopefully done, we'll see if they fit when they arrive)

Confuzzled, where did you find your boots? Both myself and my mum are after a pair and have this problem too. My mum has much wider feet than me but we both really struggle finding any!

TIA
    :xmassmile:rudolf:
  • lellyo
    lellyo Posts: 53
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    nannyboo1 wrote: »
    That has made me feel so sad as I would have loved four children but sadly hubby and I have not had any at all. I have a friend who does nothing but moan about her beautiful two boys and I just think its not fair - I obviously look at this point of view through rose tinted glasses but hope you know what I mean. I still live in hope at the age of 46 that I have a miracle baby but looking less and less likely

Would just like to say thanks for this brilliant thread as I am aiming to be ready for winter early and now have a long list of things to do (not sure hubby will be pleased as he will be the one doing most of it lol).

Hi nannyboo1
    I'm new to this thread but have been a lurker for sometime!
    I just felt i had to reply to your post and say that i, at the age of 46, gave birth to my beautiful baby boy in dec last year. We never thought it would happen either so please don't give up hope!

I'd just also like to add thank you all for all your wonderful tips and ideas,my lists are getting longer!
  • Confuzzled, where did you find your boots? Both myself and my mum are after a pair and have this problem too. My mum has much wider feet than me but we both really struggle finding any!

TIA

Fashion World, the catalogue, has "legroom" boots with many different foot and calf widths available - not cheap, but you can get discount codes.
    :D Skint but happy with my lovely family :D

Hypnotherapy rocks :j
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 September 2010 at 1:58PM
    Hi everyone,

As this thread has been running for over three years and is now very long I have started a new thread here:

Preparing for winter II

Please use that thread to post about your continued preparations and I will now close this thread.

Wishing you all a happy, healthy and warm winter.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport