Next Step Beauty Academy Complaints Thread

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    trishrv wrote: »
    Anyway, in a nutshell, how can I get my money back?
    In a nutshell, you could try reading the post immediately before yours.

The bit that says:
    paddyrg wrote: »
    Go via your credit card companies - something you paid for was not delivered...

Depending on whether a credit of debit card was used, and the amount paid, you might want to read MSE's Section 75 Refunds guidance and/or their Chargeback article.
  • Hi.
    I'm interested in finding out if anyone has successfully been refunded from Next Step Beauty?

Like so many of you I have been refused a full refund for a pedicure course that THEY cancelled. I did attempt to rebook on another date but the girl on the phone gave me incorrect information on two occasions so I lost complete confidence in them as a training provider.
    They claim I accessed the online course material, which I did not.

Trading standards suggested I send a recorded letter demanding a refund. I received a reply refusing to refund my money.
    My next step will be to threaten court action. Has anyone else taken them to court and won?
  • Hi
    I paid £395 for a full technician nail course and £95 vat for a course with next step in January I turned up to the location a hotel over 20miles away from me to be told by the receptionist there was no course there. I rang next step who apologised and rescheduled my course for May as this was the only time I could get holidays from work to match their course dates. My course was due next week may 26th and I recieved an email two days ago to say it had been cancelled due to lack of participants and they had put me down for a course in June. Which I could not do as I'm doing an 11day charity walk on the dates. I informed the salon that we're offering me a part time job as a nail technician that my course had been cancelled AGAIN and I was told she couldn't wait any longer as her salon is very busy and would have to employ somebody else so basically I've lost the job opportunity the reason I booked and paid for this course. So I've asked next step for a refund and surprise they are offering me £95 out of the £485 I have paid as I'd accessed the student portal with a few dodgy videos on it I hadn't even downloaded anything from it. £300 for this is an absolute scam. I have contacted citizens advice who have told me to write a letter as they have broke their contract not telling me the course was cancelled in January. Basically their contract is all about them and in my opinion they just scam people. Has anybody got any advice please
    And to anybody thinking about using this discraceful company I would look at the terms and conditions very closely before hand and find a better company
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Nicola101 wrote: »
    Has anybody got any advice please
    Yes. Follow the advice given you by the CAB:
    Nicola101 wrote: »
    I have contacted citizens advice who have told me to write a letter as they have broke their contract not telling me the course was cancelled in January.

Have you read MSE's How to Complain article?
  • Hi
    I've been looking at them thanks I've emailed trading standards too.
    I've just wrote a letter will send it recorded delivery and I am going to contact my bank to see if they do the payback scheme.
    To be quite honest the money doesn't really bother me anymore it's the principle.
    If necessary I will seek advice from a solicitor they have infuriated me the way they treat their customers.
    Thankyou :)
  • Hello I had the same problem after attending a few practical lesson on a beauty academy course I paid for which was £1599.I went and done a few practical sessions and did not like how you only have 6 hours a day on each topic threading,waxing and so on to learn everything and then get a certificate.I notices thick black dirt on the equitmenr trolleys and when they send you in there email about the health and safety policies its a bit of a joke when the cleaning standards was poor.I also had a incident from the practical training where my neck had a server throbbing pain after we paired up and done the treatment on each other, with only 1 supervisor and 6 of use in the room I dont know how training I possible.I told the tutor about my problem she shoved it off and did nothing.For what a paid for and how far I traveled for the two days it was not the high standard I had expected and emailed and phoned several days for a refund and till this day I havnt got my money back , I would advice anybody wanting to do a course with beauty academy to to think twice before doing a course with them cause I Personaly think they are just in it for your money and there standards are extremely poor.
  • Hi,
    I too booked £708 worth of courses with NSB in August 2014, they cancelled mine a total of 3 times and refused to refund based on the fact I had accessed the student portal. I tried to negotiate with them with regards to the refund but they came up with a figure of £54!!! This was due to the fact that I booked a Buy one Get one free offer and they informed me that they would refund me the practical training days fees but would then have to charge me for the online elements of the free courses. I refused to accept this so I rang CAB who advised that I write to them with their template letter stating that if I did not receive a refund I would be issuing court proceedings. They did not respond so to cut a long story short I paid £60 to start the ball rolling in the County Court through Money Claim Online website. NSB submitted a part admission to the court and offered £54 again. Obviously, I refused, so the case proceeded through the Small Claims Track and went to a hearing for which I had to pay a further £80 for. This £140 was money well spent as NSB did not submit any defence to the court, they did not attend court, I did, I submitted all my evidence to the judge and I won!!!!
    Not only were they ordered to pay my £708, but they were ordered to pay my £140 court costs, loss of earnings for the day and also my travel for doing a 300 mile round trip to Norwich County Court. Total £1033. I went to court on 22nd June 2015 and received my cheque from NSB on 7th July 2015 for the full amount and it has cleared!! ha ha!!!!
    It was a long drawn out process, but well worth it, this company are scammers and rely on the fact that people will not pursue them and they get away with your hard earned money. I would recommend that anyone that has been a victim of this unscrupulous company, pursue them all the way, yes they have terms and conditions which you cannot deny, which they regularly quote to you about accessing the student portal, however their terms and conditions are UNFAIR!!!!

They will not have a judgement entered against them now because they have paid the judgement within 28 days of the court date however, my satisfaction comes from the fact I have my money back and more besides and I have gained a victory for the little people.

Good Luck !!!
  • Pleas help!!! This has just happened to me. Same situation. Cancelled the course three times and refuse to give me a refund and are not responding - I'm so disappointed with this company!!!!! Any advice would be so helpful??
  • I can not believe this company... Disgusting, con-artists, unprofessional, fraud-stars - just a few words that come to mind.

I'm currently trying to get my money back from this company who cancelled four times - which I continued to book leave from work to attend, until I was no longer able too. Did not access the portal and still refused to give me my money back because... I didn't cancel within 7 days of booking it!!!!!!!!!!!!... How was I to know that when I book in jan. They would cancel, April, May, June and july's course because THEY couldn't get the numbers - this company is ridiculous offering me 95£ of the 395£ I spend.. When I haven't got ANYTHING from them but headache and stress!!!! I'm so angry... And I'm seeing this through to the very end until I get what's owed to me!!!!!!!!!!... I'm current contacting trading standards and will take them to small claims court if I have to - and can I add I am really not a person who does this, forums etc. But I feel like people need to know about this company so that dnt get ripped off either.

This has emotionally upset me because I was trying to better myself and this company has just scr+we'd me over and made me think again about accessing online courses - I feel sorry for other companies because this one gives them all a bad rep
  • Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had any luck getting their money back? I've had the same problems and I am trying to stay positive. They are just trying to brush me aside. It is very upsetting.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback