Halifax have refunded my interest out of the blue!

Options
sazkaz79
sazkaz79 Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 7 December 2017 at 5:12PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hey all,

I’ve had a DMP with Step Change for 4 years now and overall it’s been a positive experience- with the exception of Halifax!

I had a credit card with them and they were unwilling to accept my DMP, they kept piling on the interest and I’d get weekly (sometimes daily) obnoxious phone calls to bully/harass more money out of me. It was extremely stressful! My mother overheard one of these calls and lent me £1500 just to get them to stop calling me. Which they did, but they kept charging me interest.

Out of the blue, I’ve had an apology letter from “Nick Shaw Senior Operations Manager, Customer Service Solution Centre”, stating that they’re sorry that they hadn’t taken my circumstances into account when I had my credit card with them. They’ve refunded 10 x months’ interest, plus 8% interest (less 20% income tax) - £288.72 in total.

I’m going to challenge it because I feel the phone calls created more stress to an already horrendous time for me – unfortunately most people don’t have the luxury of having someone to lend them money to keep the wolves from the door. Also, Halifax are only refunding part of the interest rather than the entire time I’ve been paying them via a DMP. I shall also be advising the Financial Ombudsman of this if I don't get any joy with Halifax.

For me it’s not necessarily about the money – it’s getting them to be accountable for their greedy, merciless behaviour towards their more vulnerable customers. My other creditors have been really helpful – my experience with Halifax was awful.

So, if you are/were a Halifax customer with a DMP or in financial difficulties and you feel they treated you unfairly – look out for this letter and challenge them on it.

Sarah

Comments

• ThisIsMe
    ThisIsMe Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    I think I'm missing something here. So please forgive me. You didn't make a complaint or anything. But have been sent just under £300 'Out of the blue'.

But instead of being happy & grateful, you are going to "challenge" it because you want more?

I'm not fan of the banks, and HBOS is one of the worse. But i feel you are being ungrateful here, sorry, just my point of view.
  • Karonher
    Karonher Posts: 916 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am going to agree with you ThisisMe.

I am sure the fact that £1500 suddenly appeared made them feel you were not that vulnerable - regardless of where it came from. Without prompting they have sent you some interest back. Be grateful for that and not so greedy.
    Aiming to make £7,500 online in 2022
  • fiisch
    fiisch Posts: 510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You weren't paying your bills, and you think it was unreasonable the bank was calling to ask for their money?!?!

I'm all for sticking it to the banks when it's due, but I think you need to look a little closer to home for the cause of your stress...
  • sazkaz79
    Options
    I was paying my bills - I have never missed a payment with anyone. Hence one of the reasons why I am angry that 'some' (not all) banks are bullying vulnerable people despite them paying their bills.

You don't know my personal situation and why I ended up here so less of the judgemental comments. I thought this was meant to be a support forum.

And to reiterate, this isn't about the money - it's about the banks being accountable for exploiting customers when they are struggling.

Yes - it is odd that they're doing this out of the blue. I posted this partly in case anyone knew if Halifax were being investigated or fined for their behaviour towards customers who had been struggling.

Also, I posted this to help others because I wanted to make others aware that they may also be due some money back.

Feel free to attack me but whilst you do, remember you don't actually know anything my situation. Please also bear in mind that I posted this to help other people who may feel that have been treated unfairly.
  • fiisch
    fiisch Posts: 510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A Debt Management Plan would suggest you weren't paying your bills.....

I can't speak for other posters, but I was giving you a dose of hard reality to save you unnecessary stress from going down a path that will inevitably cause more stress. If you want cuddles and mollycoddling, may be try Netmums?

Be glad of the interest refund, get your debts paid and run - don't deal with HBOS again if you don't want to.

Halifax is the only bank account I have consistently held for 7 years, and have had mortgages, credit cards and loans with them, and they have never been less than excellent - the best bank I have dealt with by a country mile.
  • the_storm_fisherman
    Options
    i think there will be many more on here that will be receiving interest refunds over next few weeks-months as per my thread. i received one from Lloyds and just this morning received one from first direct. Enjoy the windfall, as it was them(banks) that did not follow their code of conduct causing the extra unneeded stress at the time.
    debt free as of 1/10/2014 and loving it :j
    All done using YNAB and Bank tree.:cool:
  • sazkaz79
    Options
    Thanks Storm. It’s good to get a helpful reply.

And I’m happy to hear that other banks are taking accountability :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure