How to get treatment?

Comments

• fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    And there IS a Consultant in this case. The same one as my husband saw privately.

So you have told the consultant you are going to have a procedure privately and then you are waiting for an appointment to go for the same procedure on the NHS?
  • fred246 wrote: »
    So you have told the consultant you are going to have a procedure privately and then you are waiting for an appointment to go for the same procedure on the NHS?

No.... he was waiting for an NHS appointment so that he could have assistance from Benenden, who will help if your NHS appointment is going to take too long. But you have to wait for the NHS appointment to come through. Then Benenden decide if you are eligible for funding to go privately.

As it happens, my husband has now decided he will pay for the procedure without Benenden's help and save their funding in case he needs anything further, which he may well do.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • fred246 wrote: »
    The problem is the NHS is a political football. It needs to be independent of politics. The problem is the politicians dictate the final bill. Imagine a man giving his wife £50 to feed the family. They have another baby. She asks for more money. He says no. She buys less meat, more frozen food. Inflation runs at 5%. They have another baby. The children eat more. She asks for more money. He says economize. Food goes up in price. She asks for more. He says no. She gets stressed. The kids eat more. She needs more money. Otherwise they will starve. That's like the NHS now. It needs more money. The population is getting bigger and older. All the politicians can say is economize. All the waiting targets have been thrown out of the window. The NHS can work but the bill needs to be adjusted according to the needs of the population.

I would disagree to an extent.

I went for an appointment with the consultant at my local hospital who decided I needed an ultrasound. Gave me the request form & I duly walked to the x ray dept to book an appt. when I got there I was told it needed to be sent to another hospital in the trust, who would phone me to book an appointment at the hospital I was standing in. It made no sense to do that, other than to create admin work for someone.

There is a lot of inefficiency in the NHS, which anyone who uses the service regularly will identify but because the NHS is deemed untouchable then it’s a brave politician who dares to challenge it.
  • I would disagree to an extent.

I went for an appointment with the consultant at my local hospital who decided I needed an ultrasound. Gave me the request form & I duly walked to the x ray dept to book an appt. when I got there I was told it needed to be sent to another hospital in the trust, who would phone me to book an appointment at the hospital I was standing in. It made no sense to do that, other than to create admin work for someone.

There is a lot of inefficiency in the NHS, which anyone who uses the service regularly will identify but because the NHS is deemed untouchable then it’s a brave politician who dares to challenge it.

Where I live referrals are done on line, you then get a letter and a number to call if there is a problem. It generally works very well but obviously they can't give you appointments if they don't have them and somethings have to take priority. As an example my DD had longstanding treatment as a teenager preparing her for a fairly major operation. The two Consultants in different specialities were great and liaised about dates, it was agreed that she finished her A levels on the Thursday, had a prom on the Saturday and would go into hospital the following Monday with surgery on the Tuesday. They explained that if either of them had a lifesaving operation come in as an emergency that would take priority. We obviously understood this but hoped we would stick to the plan. As it happened the plan worked and she had her discharge appointment two days before she left for university.

We couldn't visit for some hours after the op as she was in some sort of special care, as soon as we were contacted to say she was on her way to the ward we left to visit her. When we walked into the ward, about 8 pm, one of the Consultants was sitting on her bed holding her hand and talking to her. He said he wasn't going to leave her till we got there.

By the way the result was fantastic, it was a horrible summer with her in pain and me trying to build her up for going away to uni but it was worth it and I couldn't praise the hospital enough.
  • No.... he was waiting for an NHS appointment so that he could have assistance from Benenden, who will help if your NHS appointment is going to take too long. But you have to wait for the NHS appointment to come through. Then Benenden decide if you are eligible for funding to go privately.

As it happens, my husband has now decided he will pay for the procedure without Benenden's help and save their funding in case he needs anything further, which he may well do.

That seems a terrible system, you have to use NHS resources to get an appointment you won't use in order to access funding. What a waste of NHS time.
  • That seems a terrible system, you have to use NHS resources to get an appointment you won't use in order to access funding. What a waste of NHS time.

It’s not really (I’m also a member)

You get referred & if the wait for treatment is too long then you can get it privately.

The premiums are low so it’s a low cost way of potentially get private treatment.

The way I look at it is you’re in a queue, you decide you can’t wait any longer so leave that queue & the person behind you takes your place. I’ve never tried to claim on it so I have no idea who or how deems the wait too long
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 26 November 2017 at 3:27PM
    That seems a terrible system, you have to use NHS resources to get an appointment you won't use in order to access funding. What a waste of NHS time.

I didn't make the rules.

As gettingtheresometime says, once you have Beneden's funding to go private (they have strict criteria on what is covered and what isn't and how long a wait is too long), then the person after you in the NHS queue moves up one.

You could decide at any point in the NHS waiting process to go private, even if Benenden were not involved.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • It’s not really (I’m also a member)

You get referred & if the wait for treatment is too long then you can get it privately.

The premiums are low so it’s a low cost way of potentially get private treatment.

The way I look at it is you’re in a queue, you decide you can’t wait any longer so leave that queue & the person behind you takes your place. I’ve never tried to claim on it so I have no idea who or how deems the wait too long

SDW said days ago that her husband was paying so why cause the NHS extra work?
  • I didn't make the rules.

As gettingtheresometime says, once you have Beneden's funding to go private (they have strict criteria on what is covered and what isn't and how long a wait is too long), then the person after you in the NHS queue moves up one.

You could decide at any point in the NHS waiting process to go private, even if Benenden were not involved.

I didn't suggest you did make the rules.

I don't like these plans that give you money if you are in hospital overnight. I have seen them being abused with two patients conspiring to delay their release as they wanted more money. I was discharged a day early, couldn't wait to get home, but as far as I know they stayed in as they seemed to have persuaded the doctor who discharged me.
  • Good grief......why on earth would anyone want to stay in hospital a moment longer than is necessary.......they must have been masochists. :rotfl:

Actually altough we never had one of these plans. I can see their value. Hospital stays can be very expensive.

When my husband was flat on his back, paralysed, the only thing he could do was watch one of those individual TVs that you can rent. This was back in 2006 and it was £25 a week then. I was Paying around £7 a day for car parking, plus a round trip of 35 miles. I stayed by his side for around 8 hours a day so although I did take some snacks with me, I still had to buy myself drinks.

Believe me costs were racking up. One of those cashback schemes would have been a godsend.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure