Bath Repairs & Resurfacing (merged threads)

Comments

• God I started this thread in 2006, had the bath done by renu bath was good probably lasted about 5 years, now starting to chip and is discoloured but it gave me some breathing space...so in all was good thing to do at the time.
  • can anyone help?
    do you know any good but not over priced company who can restore our bath, please?
    its a nice bath just need a nice touch with paint.
    many thanks
  • elizka44 wrote: »
    can anyone help?
    do you know any good but not over priced company who can restore our bath, please?
    its a nice bath just need a nice touch with paint.
    many thanks

Where abouts are you based, Elizka? If in the South of England near Hampshire you could try Steph. at Bath Angel (bathangel.co.uk) depending on the type of repair/resurfacing work you want done exactly?
  • daifromwales
    daifromwales Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 10 August 2015 at 6:53PM
    When I last looked at this thread, someone asked about problems sanding the bath. This was my reply - but the original message has now vanished!

"It sounds like you are expecting too much. You don't need to remove original finish - you'll never succeed by sanding. All you are supposed to do is to remove all the surface gloss (and ingrained dirt) so as to provide a fresh surface for the new paint to stick to. So wear a dust mask, use an electric sander (Tubby sell an abrasive disc to fit in an electric drill) or do it the hard way by hand. (Oh - and use ear plugs with a drill!)
    I am about to re-do our bath with a new Tubby kit after about 10 years. Most of it is as new, but some damage from dropping shower head wasn't repaired so bits started to flake. Use a cheap plastic shower head in future!
    I am hoping the new paint will stick to the good old stuff. Nitromors is next to useless now it has been made safe by Regulations. Does anybody have experience of over-coating?
    Also it is worth removing any metalwork if you can.
  • Sounds like you are expecting too much.
    All you need do is remove the original surface gloss with any ingrained dirt.
    You don't need to try to get back to bare metal. You'd take months to do that just by sanding. You've almost certainly done more than enough already as long as you've gone over the entire surface.
  • csbc
    csbc Posts: 1 Newbie
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I can't recommend Diamond Gleam. They did a cast iron bath for us about 3 years back and it looked lovely. It only gets used about once a month by grandchildren, so it has had the equivalent of a month or two of normal use.
    There is now a crack around the chrome waste, as they enamelled over the join. They say we should have un-plumbed it first [but did not tell us to do this before]. It would have been easy to do as it is free-standing and had only just been put back in place after re-flooring.
    They are very upfront saying they would not repair it even if we paid!
  • I run a bath resurfacing company cover the same area and I am surprised at the comment regarding one of my competitors. They have a good reputation.
  • klb10
    klb10 Posts: 1 Newbie
    I just want to confirm that Diamond Gleam are definitely one to avoid. Bath looked great at first but within weeks, enamel cracking and coming away. After great difficulty managed to get them back in to do some repairs, the same problem occurred again and numerous phone calls, emails later - no response. Finally asked for refund and of course no response. Very stressful experience and left with a bath that I now have to decide whether to call in someone else to sort out - any current recommendations would be appreciated or cut my losses and just go for new.
  • I had my bath resurfaced about 2 years ago by Eager Beaver and it still looks as new. Highly recommend. Very skilled professional, friendly, polite and punctual. Finest quality job!
  • As part of an insurance claim my dented bath has been uninstalled and will be refitted. They were going to re-enamel it but now say because it is heavy they want to repair it in situ. It has at least one large dent (the size of a tablespoon - probably where the ceiling hit it on the way down). The enamel doesn't seem broken.

Having seen quite a few negative comments about re-surfacing, should I insist they find a way to move the bath (afaik it was installed 20 years ago, it can't be impossible to move it - it is upstairs).

Though some people here like the re-surfacing services, many have poor experiences and the guarantee of 5 years (say) seems very short compared with the length of time an enameled bath lasts (I am using one every day that was installed in 1954).

Given it is already out of the bathroom, I don't want to miss the chance to repair it properly on an insurance claim - any advice?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure