Unlock your ZTE 627 Mobile Broadband Dongle (the free one from MicroP) for FREE!

Comments

• Omega_1
    Omega_1 Posts: 233
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Will this work on a Linux system as am seeking a PAYG Mobile Broadband system that will operate on Linux but no joy so far - any ideas ?
  • dazzii
    dazzii Posts: 83 Forumite
    you could use the 02 sim for the iphone (cheap on ebay)
    1 topup of 10£ gives a years free internet, some are selling them all ready toped up so it saves you using a phone to do it, at the end of the year you still have £10 to use up in calls :)
  • Swindon_Baggie
    Swindon_Baggie Posts: 39 Forumite
    edited 4 June 2009 at 9:18PM
    The 50p a day, £2.50 per week, £5 per month is 'fair use', and so limited in terms of bandwidth, and is not avaliable with the sim that came with the modem.

If anyone wants to know what fair use is, its could be around 2 to 5 Gb a month, or much much less. How longs a piece of string.

Just don't register a credit card. This would automatically allow them to bill you if you start to exceed the arbitrary 'fair use' limit.

The only way to get the above is to buy a topup in a shop, put the simcard in a compatible phone (my voda n96 was unlocked) and topup, once it has been confirmed as on the account, plug the sim back into the dongle and then select 'add addon' in my3.

3 know I use a dongle (through account settings), I'm currently paying £5 pcm, and on my £5 deliv free dongle now

It is recommended you search ebay for the sims which let you do the £5 per month deal, no guarantee of any sim that can't be checked allowing this. At least the ebay sellers can check it for you.

BTW
    If you add credit to your account, there is no time delay to use it. If you need internet for a day, just choose the 50p option, and it would charge it to the credit you topped up on your phone. Then what is left over is saved till the next time you need access. So if you need it for 2 days a year, it would cost £1, but you still paid for your topup, so the whole £10 or so is sitting in 3's current account earning them money, but it wont disappear (My My3 account shows my credit has unlimited validity).

Nothing is guaranteed anyway, but even less if 3 get bought (which might actually be amazingly likely shortly, and probably by T-Mobile).

Linux just requires the right drivers, search google for something like 'linux 3g modem'.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Arthur C. Clarke
  • Swindon_Baggie
    Swindon_Baggie Posts: 39 Forumite
    edited 4 June 2009 at 9:30PM
    Oh BTW

ZTE modems don't seem to work on Linux, Huawei do.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Arthur C. Clarke
  • matphil
    matphil Posts: 926
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I won, I won, I won!
    Forumite
    Hi.
    Can someone help me please.
    I am trying to unlock the ZTE 627 dongle but I am having trouble doing it. I have downloaded the rapidshare file but I can't open it. I have winrar but it keeps saying that the files can't be read. What am I doing wrong.
    Thanks.
  • PeteM
    PeteM Posts: 520 Forumite
    matphil wrote: »
    Hi.
    Can someone help me please.
    I am trying to unlock the ZTE 627 dongle but I am having trouble doing it. I have downloaded the rapidshare file but I can't open it. I have winrar but it keeps saying that the files can't be read. What am I doing wrong.
    Thanks.

Sounds like you'll need to re-download the files as they may be corrupt?

If that doesn't fix it, then reply here with the exact message that the unzipper produces.

PeteM
  • asbokid
    asbokid Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    Omega_1 wrote: »
    Will this work on a Linux system as am seeking a PAYG Mobile Broadband system that will operate on Linux but no joy so far - any ideas ?

Yes, the ZTE MF627 does work in Linux...

From here... http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6864924&postcount=9
    Re: 3G Mobile Broadband Networking (ZTE MF627 Dongles)

Are you trying to get the ZTE MF627 dongle working?

If so, I got mine working with this post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1017630

The .DEB file in the post didn't like my libusb, so I downloaded the source and compiled it.
    All credit to the original author.

Once you get the "configure" option to come up in the networking icon, just choose the operator 3.
  • Nintey
    Nintey Posts: 284 Forumite
    edited 6 June 2009 at 2:53PM
    Can I just check something, I have ordered the dongle and just gone on to 3's website to order a free PAYG sim card, but it says you just get 150mb of mobile broadband when you top up, which lasts for 90 days. How do I sign up to the mobile broadband for 50p per day? Is this something you add on when you receive your sim?
  • iceburn
    iceburn Posts: 680
    First Post
    Forumite
    50p a day is using a phone simcard not the one that comes with the dongle.
  • alanwsg
    alanwsg Posts: 763
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I unlocked my dongle as described and now when connected it has a blue light flashing on it, it was green before.
    According to the userguide, this indicates it's connected to the gprs/edge network rather than 3G but the speed is very good, it seems faster than before.
    Any ideas what's going on?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport