PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Problems with landlord- Lodger agreement

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    layla958 wrote: »
    Hi Sajaan_12,
    This is the part of contract you are asking about ( i think ! )
    29. The Deposit is to be held in an account by the Landlord for the Term as security against the Lodger's failure to pay Rent and other sums due under the Agreement or non-performance of the obligations within this Agreement. The Deposit will be returned to the Lodger at the end of the Term less any outstanding Rent or other sums or reasonable deductions properly made by the Landlord to cover any reasonable costs incurred with cleaning the Room or in connection with damage to the Property or items on the Inventory (fair wear and tear excepted).

Also are you saying that he is fully right to charge me for a new mattress , I mean if I do take this to court will I have no leg to stand on at all?

No the LL (the daughter, not the father) can charge you to make good the damage, or for the value of the damage.

Lets say you broke a wing mirror on her car, you would owe her for that amount, not the whole car....
  • Im not scared of court , im just unfamiliar with it and dont know what the costs of it are !
    If I lose then will I end up paying for more than he originally asked ??
  • Guest101
    Im not scared of court , im just unfamiliar with it and dont know what the costs of it are !
    If I lose then will I end up paying for more than he originally asked ??
    Yes typically you would pay the court fees. Small amount so they wouldn't be more than £100-50 (depending on costs)
  • Do you think I should email him to offer to pay the bills and part of the cost of the mattress? Is he likely to deny this offer and take it to court for the full amount? For example, bills equate to £100, and the cost of cleaning the mattress would have been £30-50 so I could offer him around that amount?
  • Guest101
    Do you think If I emailed him and offered to pay for the bills and part of the cost of the mattress that he would be likely to deny and take it to court to gain the full amount?

No-one can answer that.

Given you have no contract with him, I'd happily tell him to F Off and move on....
  • I do have a contract with him! Thats the whole problem haha ! otherwise I would have ignored him. But i have signed a contract and inventory list, so hes making full use of it
  • Guest101
    I do have a contract with him! Thats the whole problem haha ! otherwise I would have ignored him. But i have signed a contract and inventory list, so hes making full use of it
    Who owns the house, who is the LL?

So far you've said it's both....
  • The landlord on paper is the girl who is also a student and lived in the house with me, the house was bought for her by her father. He is who we have to communicate with on behalf of the girl. Even if I did decide to contact her, it would make no difference because her dad will just end up speaking for her. Everything that went wrong in the house went through her dad. He is the one making everyone pay for the shower even though he knows his daughters friends were over. Another instance of this is when his daughters bedroom door was accidentally shut by another house mate and the cost of getting a locksmith (£160) was put onto the room mate even though his daughter offered to pay half of it.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I do have a contract with him! Thats the whole problem haha ! otherwise I would have ignored him. But i have signed a contract and inventory list, so hes making full use of it

How can you have a contract with him if he doesn't own the house and doesn't live there?

If he owns it's, doesn't live there, but your contract is with him then you were not a lodger but a tenant giving you more rights and he could be in spot of bother if he hasn't met certain legal obligations that a non resident landlord has to meet.
  • Guest101
    The landlord on paper is the girl who is also a student and lived in the house with me, the house was bought for her by her father. - SO YOU HAVE NO CONTRACT WITH HIM! He is who we have to communicate with on behalf of the girl. Even if I did decide to contact her, it would make no difference because her dad will just end up speaking for her. - it doesn't matter. Like i said, no contract! Everything that went wrong in the house went through her dad. He is the one making everyone pay for the shower even though he knows his daughters friends were over. - I don't care.... Another instance of this is when his daughters bedroom door was accidentally shut by another house mate and the cost of getting a locksmith (£160) was put onto the room mate even though his daughter offered to pay half of it.

either take my advice or don't. I'm done
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport