Looking for the silver lining

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,158 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Enjoy your time off.
    Hope you can relax a bit :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • *whispers, I know what you mean when you have all the things you to do and what not, all I want is time out! am sure we will both have a good time - but if not a virtual glass of wine on the 27th?*

hello lovely just saying happy Christmas :) XXXX
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,242 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Morning all !

Got my day at home yesterday, not exactly feet up as had to go to the shop and take the dog out. Mr SA had his feet up all day and was no help whatsoever. He was pressing to go into town for a coffee but I stood my ground. However, I can't get out of it today unfortunately. Hopefully if we go early it shouldn't too busy. I could do with picking up a few bits anyway but I really don't want it to turn into lunch as I've got the dentist this afternoon and then that's another day gone. Because I'm meeting my friend for lunch tomorrow after the hairdressers Mr SA is sulking, saying he'll be on his own and threatening to go into town for a coffee on his own (a very scary thought!). I can't stop him but he's behaving like a child to be honest, he knows I'll worry about him. I don't want him to join me for lunch because I want a gossip with my friend without him there. If you can remember the last time I took him with me in the summer when he ruined the evening. I feel like just when my kids are grown up and off my hands I've got another one to replace them.

Payday tomorrow so will be paying some off debt but more importantly paying the spending card bill which is rather more than I would like it to be but then I've been free range spending for the past few weeks (annoyed with myself about this) so only have myself to blame. Checked the date of the end of the 0% card and it's a bit earlier than I thought - 28 January. I might have to end up lending myself the money out of savings to clear the last bit, I don't want to get involved in balance transferring again, especially for such a small amount.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    :xmastree:
    Hello Sun.A, sorry for my long absence.. :o
    Gosh your life has been a whirl of Xmas parties and lunches last week, hasn't it? Glad you've enjoyed the various functions - but reckon the best one will be New Year's Eve with DH. :)

Belated congrats to DS - it's a funny feeling when our offspring reach the milestone birthdays, isn't it?

Hope you have a very special day, as you celebrate this Christmas with DH. :)
  • Sun_Addict
    Thank you Robin, good to hear from you :)

What an ordeal in town today, Mr SA forgot to take his stick and ended up stumbling about clinging on to my shoulder like a drunk. We didn't stay long, it was heaving and not a pleasant place to be. Plus we're back to the too warm for December weather again so I was sweating in my winter coat.

Had a filling removed and replaced at the dentist so not as bad as I thought but still not what you want at Christmas. Numbness has only just worn off. Didn't cost anything as have Denplan insurance - my dentist went private a few years ago and everyone had to take this out.

I was so so sad to hear about the tragedy in Glasgow town centre today :( what an absolutely dreadful thing to happen. I can't even begin to imagine the shock for the families of the people involved. Why is there always a tragedy so close to Christmas, it happens every year. My heart goes out to those affected.
  • beanielou
    Yes, also very upset about the goings on in Glasgow.
    My thoughts are with all affected.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• I'm devastated about Glasgow too. Tragic at any time of the year but somehow that little bit worse when it's just days before Christmas. R.I.P all who lost their lives and thoughts are with their loved ones and those injured.

Sorry Mr SA wasn't good in town today either Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • Sun_Addict
    Have has a very busy day today, hairdressers this morning followed by shopping followed by lunch with a friend. Left the house at 8am walked back in at 3pm then back out again on the never ending hunt for last minute bits. According to the Fitbit I've walked 10 miles today. I can well believe it. Since yesterday I've been in: 3 different Tescos, Sainsburys, Waitrose, Iceland, Co-op and Morrisons. What am I doing!!!!! Have enough food to sink a battleship and have spent a fortune! Why is it every Christmas I start off good and end up losing the plot towards the end. In one shop Mr SA picked up a box of ritz crackers, I said we don't eat them, he said but it's Christmas. I rest my case. I've got a Morrisons online shop coming tomorrow too.

Payday today but not done anything yet as it wasn't there this morning. We always get paid at the end of the month so I don't know why it's early this year. Good news is I got a letter today saying I've got a pay rise from 1 January, only about £500 over the course of the year but better than nothing :)
  • beanielou
    Have a happy time.

• amber03
    amber03 Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    I'm the same as you SA, start off with good intentions for xmas and then bang it goes downhill. The last three xmas's have had drama, this year's is my DS has just split from his GF, one minute booking wedding next minute its all over. Now I am just buying anything so I have full cupboards and a stupid amounts of presents cos I just want to shut the door and forget about everything. Will be glad when this years over.

Decided next year to live a more simple and frugal life. Closed my FB, twitter and instagram accounts as sometimes it feels I spend most of my spare time on the computer. Also decided to delete a lot of blogs I read and just keep this website going, as its the most helpful and enjoyable sites that there is.x
    :j Debtfree and and staying that way.:j3-6 month emergency fund, No.61 £140.00
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure