Stop at home Mum - Tax Allowance

All,

My wife is to be a stop at home mum now that we have 2 children, there is a slim chance she may return to work but only doing one day week from September so should only earn approx 2-2.5k a year.

What can I do to avoid wasting her personal tax allowance. I know this is a highly campained for area which basically discriminates against stay at home mums.

The only "MoneySaving" thing I could think of is to transfer a load of savings and stoozed money into a personal savings account solely in her name and then register for R85 interest without tax.

I don't think this will earn us £4000+ unfortunately - is there anything else anyone can think of or knows about to help ! It pains me to see the allowance wasted when I could be using it.

Comments

• Might be better moved to the Tax forums.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    You wouldn't gain a whole £4000 by taking on your wife's allowance anyway. You'd save about 25% of it ie £1000.

You could claim Working Tax Credit or change your current claim, that might bring in a few extra bob.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Might be better moved to the Tax forums.
    I think you're right ted :)
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • filigree wrote:
    You wouldn't gain a whole £4000 by taking on your wife's allowance anyway. You'd save about 25% of it ie £1000.

You could claim Working Tax Credit or change your current claim, that might bring in a few extra bob.

Filigree - A £100 is a lot of money to potentially save !

Already maxed out on whatever benefits we are eligable for based on my salary alone.

How do I move this thread to Tax area - is it a moderator task ?
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,148 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    you've already been moved to the tax site.

Did you remember to tell tax credits about your new baby as you're entitled to an extra £545 for the babys 1st year.
  • I think you are correct that you could transfer your savings/investments into your wife's name and register for gross interest with form R85. These savings/investments would then be owned solely by your wife which may have other implications.

In general, I think a self-employed working spouse can make the non-working spouse an employee or partner in the business. An actual salary would have to be paid to benefit from any tax-saving. But this would not seem to be applicable to your case.
  • beaker141
    beaker141 Posts: 509 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I think the Inland Revenue have got this one well and truly boxed off. I will :-

1. Get the stoozer savings into the wifes name to get interest free of tax via R85.
    2. Drop a line to everyone in office I can find expressing my outrage ! #
    3. Get the wife back to work earning the 4.5k asap !

Talk is rife about extending paid maternity leave to 9 months but nothing on this !

P.S. Tax Credit People were informed about birth of child within a couple of days, as well as child benefit office. This stuff adds up to quite a tidy sum monthly.
  • jellyhead
    jellyhead Posts: 21,555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    hi beaker, start a campaign, i'd like my hubby to be able to get my tax allowance when i become a stay at home mum too!

i think (but don't shout at me if i'm wrong!) that there's also a discrepancy in the way tax credits are worked out in one income families - don't they ask for your pre-tax earnings? so a 2 income couple will bring home around a thousand more in take-home cash than a 1 income family yet they are assessed on the same joint income. it wouldn't make a difference if the joint income was over 24k i suppose but for those earning under that threshold it could mean a big difference.
    52% tight
  • Finishrich
    Finishrich Posts: 1,038 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    beaker141 wrote:
    Talk is rife about extending paid maternity leave to 9 months but nothing on this !

I heard that on the News too, it's the Labour party bait for re-election, since it's what they propose if they're re-elected :rolleyes:
  • robindunne1
    robindunne1 Posts: 360 Forumite
    This has annoyed me for years. My wife stays at home to look after the family but I don't see any of her tax allowance. It seems the government are doing everything to help families with two parents that work - extended maternity leave, child care tax credits etc...., but those with one income don't get a look in.

The married man's tax allowance went years ago and I earn out of the bracket for tax credits, this really does annoy me too!!!!
    Giving up is easy...... just keep on trying!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure