PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?

Options
1606162636466»

Comments

• AndyT678
    AndyT678 Posts: 757 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kaya wrote: »
    She is an professional working in the city
    Lodge a complaint with her professional association. Pretty sure I'd get chucked out of mine for behaving like that.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 August 2017 at 3:12PM
    Options
    AndyT678 wrote: »
    Lodge a complaint with her professional association. Pretty sure I'd get chucked out of mine for behaving like that.
    pretty sure you wouldn't

the ex tenant has been through the full due process of the deposit protection scheme and a binding decision was made by them.

No professional body is going to interfere in the personal life of a member on the grounds of "fit and proper person" judgement when faced with a (vindictive?) complaint from a disgruntled LL versus a definitive outcome like that.

as already stated by others a court will not look kindly on an appeal against an ADR decision as the whole point of ADR was to remove the need to take up court time on such issues in the first place. That is not to say you can't go to court, but your case would need to be a lot stronger than you presented to ADR to effect a different outcome and if not, would likely be rapidly dismissed as a waste of time.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    kaya wrote: »
    When nan went into a home my mum had to rent her house out, we had a young girl turn up with a toddler who said all the right things so we rented to her. Few months down the line the entire house Is filled with immigrants, every room has a bed in it and the property is wrecked along with the pet dog who has eaten half of the kitchen and defecated everywhere ruining the new flooring along with the elderly neighbour complaining of drug use. We did an inspection and of course they were all "friends" of the girl we rented it to who was nowhere to be seen and nobody would admit paying her rent.
    On the next inspection one of the bedrooms had been vacated and there was a pile of paperwork swept into the corner that was waiting to go on the bin amongst which was a tenancy agreement between the girl we rented it to and one of her "friends". When questioned she simply denied everything and accused my mum of making up the tenancy agreement (it was a proper legal document with her signature on it) and went on to accuse my mum of giving her carbon monoxide poisoning from a fire that was disconnected already and could clearly provide no medical evidence to prove so.
    We waited until the tennancy expired confident that the professional inventory company we employed who had photographed everything would be the proof needed to get some of the money for the repairs back out of her deposit. The estimate for repairs to the damage she had caused came to around £4500 and after filling in umpteen pages for the deposit company to view they decided that we were only entitled to £800! The letter also said their decision was final and could not be questioned or overturned. Its a joke that you can do everything by the book and still get stuffed. Is there any financial recourse to this now? can we go to a small claims court or complain about the deposit company? Thought I would ask as there seem to be many "professional" landlords on this thread. She is an professional working in the city and we don't think the child she arrived with was even hers

Start your own thread if you want advice.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AndyT678 wrote: »
    kaya wrote:
    She is an professional working in the city
    Just as well she's a professional. I'd hate to think of a whole load of amateurs working in the city...
  • Riggyman
    Options
    Any evidence of Vampyres, yet?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills