Ebay Auction Gone Higher Than Expected

Does anyone ever feel guilty if you sell something for a LOT more than its worth? I have an auction going on eBay for an items empty box - thought I might get a couple of quid - 2 bidders have it up to £5 already!! :eek:
My listing specifically says product not included - I just feel a bit guilty that I'm essentially selling someone an empty box for at least £5!! :undecided

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,195 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Be warned, eBay don't like auctions for empty boxes and you will get a slap if someone reports it. Unfortunately scammers buy named boxes in order to pass off fakes as the real deal and eBay don't give anyone the benefit of the doubt.

If you are going to risk it make sure you listed as 'other' in the category and not under, for examples, phones or tablet or camera.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,195 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Be warned, eBay don't like auctions for empty boxes and you will get a slap if someone reports it. Unfortunately scammers buy named boxes in order to pass off fakes as the real deal and eBay don't give anyone the benefit of the doubt.

If you are going to risk it make sure you listed as 'other' in the category and not under, for examples, phones or tablet or camera.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Damn. I found a box I wanted sell the other day grr.
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I appreciate Soolin is an ebay expert,so not arguing whether ebay like it or not, but I've sold quite a few empty boxes - some for upto £7+ with no problems.

If it's listed correctly hopefully you'll be fine. Don't feel too guilty - a genuine seller can get a good price uplift selling something with a box, so win win
  • arc2014 wrote: »
    I just feel a bit guilty that I'm essentially selling someone an empty box for at least £5!! :undecided
    I collect wristwatches, and (depending on brand and age) it's not uncommon to pay £100+ for an empty box :-)
    Philip
  • I sell empty boxes but NOT if they show any sort of brand - and they sell for silly money (sometimes more than the price of buying them with their contents!).
  • qsk
    qsk Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I monitored a few cases where I believe the bidding has gone well over the expectation, only to see the items being relisted after a few days with seller adding comments "no time wasters please"...
  • Get ready to fund the return costs when the buyer realises the item isn't in it. Many buyers don't read the descriptions.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • ElefantEd
    ElefantEd Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I sold an empty box and a scoreboard for a boardgame (Carcassonne) for £70 last year - this was via facebook not ebay. It was an older and relatively rare edition. The buyer even sent me a new box in return. I was gobsmacked, but was happy to take the money - but it does show that collectors may value apparently mundane items differently to normal people. Mind you, when I realised that the address I was sending it to was a City Trader I felt rapidly less guilty!
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Agree with the above. People are stupid. They see a photo of a box and assume the item is in it. Even putting *****EMPTY BOX ONLY**** in the title won't be enough for people to realise it is an empty box. You may get some people who accept their mistake but most people aren't that forgiving, even when they are at fault.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure