Aldi prices creeping up

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the need to attract middle classes as this is a large demographic who have been shopping at Aldi for many years.
    Through necessity, originally. One of the few happy side effects of the last recession was that we were forced to be far more considered in our purchases. This is something that I doubt anyone under the age of 26 will understand first hand.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Through necessity, originally. One of the few happy side effects of the last recession was that we were forced to be far more considered in our purchases. This is something that I doubt anyone under the age of 26 will understand first hand.

True! I first started shopping in Lidl just over 20 years ago. I can't recall when I first became aware of Aldi. It certainly wasn't until some years later.

I remember when Netto first showed up but it was rather a bargain basement store and reminded me very much of the old Fine Fare and Kwiksave stores. Ones to avoid at all cost! :rotfl:
  • VfM4meplse wrote: »
    My resident crisp-monster has now morphed into a crisp-and-jaffa-cake monster. I've bought a staggering 6 packs since he moved in 10 days ago :o

'real' Jaffa cakes are 40p a packet at Waitrose if you have them as one of you PYO choices.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,491
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'm not sure about the need to attract middle classes as this is a large demographic who have been shopping at Aldi for many years.

I agree. I think all they're doing is responding to what customers used to say about Aldi that they couldn't do a full shop there. I'm a huge fan.
  • UnluckyT
    UnluckyT Posts: 486 Forumite
    ive also noticed in sainsbury, tesco and lidles the prices have gone up suddenly. and not just by a pence or 2. 5 to 10 in cases.
    i know things go up in prices, but it just seems shocking how things seem to jump up.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Gets me when I see this thread. Nobody ever did a 'Aldi prices are going down' thread. Only moan when it goes up.

I can tell you alot went down over a period until mid June last year. Then it started to go up.

But prices are still less than the major supermarkets.

I think people would moan even if Aldi gave the food away.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,491
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    robin58 wrote: »
    Gets me when I see this thread. Nobody ever did a 'Aldi prices are going down' thread. Only moan when it goes up.

I can tell you alot went down over a period until mid June last year. Then it started to go up.

But prices are still less than the major supermarkets.

I think people would moan even if Aldi gave the food away.

Maybe not titled as such but the boards are full of people recommending shopping in Aldi to save money because their prices are still so good in comparison.

To be fair, even on this thread, I'd say the majority view is that although prices have risen it's still the best value for money (possibly alongside Lidl but I don't shop there enough to comment).
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    robin58 wrote: »
    Who are you, the corporate conglomerate's champion??!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • CAZBEAR
    CAZBEAR Posts: 554
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite

I remember when Netto first showed up but it was rather a bargain basement store and reminded me very much of the old Fine Fare and Kwiksave stores. Ones to avoid at all cost! :rotfl:
    I quite miss "kwikkys", it was like supermarkets own value brands all the way round the shop !!
    Best headline ever on local paper??
    "Weight loss group doubles in size"
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Who are you, the corporate conglomerate's champion??!

No I'm not. I used to work for a conglomerate once. I could predict with certainly when the barstewards would put up thier prices to make the most out of a period of high demand.

It's just that I have been shopping more regularly at Aldi in the last 4 years and for awhile prices were going down. But I rarely saw anybody on the Lidl/Aldi thread mention them.

Agree that Aldi and Lidl have done alot to keep prices low. I do all my basic food shops at both. Then I get the bits and bobs I can't get there, elsewhere.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income