PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• Willowx
    Willowx Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I actually cooked something vaguely resembling a standard meal today for the first time in a while. Mince with mixed veg and gravy with a nuked potato, had a few slices of bread with it too. Was in a nostalgic mood, was a take on one of the meals I used to cook a lot for my grandma in the early days of caring for her, although the spuds would have been boiled and the bread hidden in the kitchen for mopping up the fat from the pan. Couldn't have bread at the table people might think we were poor and it wasn't wise to point out that it was only the two of us there.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    a good start today oatmeal porridge with sour cherries and vanilla soya milk. Ready at 6.30 as in the rice cooker and stays hot for an hour. Really enjoyed it. A small piece of sd toast with hm marmalade. Morning snack is a fresh fig and grapes

lunch is prepared and I`m looking forward to it, again in rice cooker on a timer. Basmati. fresh ginger, an umboshi plum, carrot, parsley, frozen green beans, purple sprouting, little caulie. Herbs and small piece of skinned frozen haddock. I get the fish from cornwall and prep it at home ie skin and vac pack in my-size portions. I added a little water but white wine if I had remembered

snack, goats milk kefir, sounds yuk, tastes lovely. Hm and grew up on this until I was 10. Also a kiwi

at 5, soup and berry/almond crumble with small dollop of hm ice cream

I had to compost the spring greens, really a small loose cabbage in disguise. Goodness was going out of it and yellowing. Better to overwinter some swiss chard called fordhook giant. There is room in every garden for one and just pick the leaves as needed

I made a meat order for early may, all grass fed and organic, expensive but so be it. This time all destined for one and easy cook ie lamb chops, lamb sausages, lamb burgers, turkey sausages.

I have some amazing storage containers called tightvac. I have tall and small. I use the smaller ones for my various dried herbs, kept in a cupboard in the dark. The taller ones are amazingly good at keeping my washed and prepared veg in good condition in the fridge. The purple sprouting and caulie from 7 days ago are as good as new in there.

I also use veggie wash, as birds can do unmentionables on the likes of kale. I soak a few minutes and rinse twice, drain and it goes into the jars. I have 7 used bags on the kitchen counter so this is mission accomplished wrt using things up
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Willowx wrote: »
    I actually cooked something vaguely resembling a standard meal today for the first time in a while. Mince with mixed veg and gravy with a nuked potato, had a few slices of bread with it too. Was in a nostalgic mood, was a take on one of the meals I used to cook a lot for my grandma in the early days of caring for her, although the spuds would have been boiled and the bread hidden in the kitchen for mopping up the fat from the pan. Couldn't have bread at the table people might think we were poor and it wasn't wise to point out that it was only the two of us there.
    I love mince and tatties and of course some bread is needed for mopping :D
    kittie wrote: »
    a good start today oatmeal porridge with sour cherries and vanilla soya milk. Ready at 6.30 as in the rice cooker and stays hot for an hour. Really enjoyed it. A small piece of sd toast with hm marmalade. Morning snack is a fresh fig and grapes

lunch is prepared and I`m looking forward to it, again in rice cooker on a timer. Basmati. fresh ginger, an umboshi plum, carrot, parsley, frozen green beans, purple sprouting, little caulie. Herbs and small piece of skinned frozen haddock. I get the fish from cornwall and prep it at home ie skin and vac pack in my-size portions. I added a little water but white wine if I had remembered

snack, goats milk kefir, sounds yuk, tastes lovely. Hm and grew up on this until I was 10. Also a kiwi

at 5, soup and berry/almond crumble with small dollop of hm ice cream

I had to compost the spring greens, really a small loose cabbage in disguise. Goodness was going out of it and yellowing. Better to overwinter some swiss chard called fordhook giant. There is room in every garden for one and just pick the leaves as needed

I made a meat order for early may, all grass fed and organic, expensive but so be it. This time all destined for one and easy cook ie lamb chops, lamb sausages, lamb burgers, turkey sausages.

I have some amazing storage containers called tightvac. I have tall and small. I use the smaller ones for my various dried herbs, kept in a cupboard in the dark. The taller ones are amazingly good at keeping my washed and prepared veg in good condition in the fridge. The purple sprouting and caulie from 7 days ago are as good as new in there.

I also use veggie wash, as birds can do unmentionables on the likes of kale. I soak a few minutes and rinse twice, drain and it goes into the jars. I have 7 used bags on the kitchen counter so this is mission accomplished wrt using things up

Wow how organised I've just managed toast & cottage cheese and have taken a bagel out of the freezer for lunch:). My rainbow chard did well over the winter - there's another picking or so left:). I've never managed to successfully grow kale - don't think it likes being grown in pots. :( A good wash for veggies is a cap of hydrogen peroxide (9% strength - sold as mouthwash in chemists) in a pint of water gets rid of any birdie nasties and lurking slugs/bugs :cool:

More use it up at lunch time today that should finish Sunday's salads and no idea what to have this evening. I've a lurking chicken thigh that I didn't eat last night but don't fancy chicken again so will probably keep it for lunch one day. It's quite a cold and murky, damp day so might defrost some mash and have with bangers or similiar.:)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    oh caronc, needs must, not organised. The rice cooker copes well with frozen fish and frozen veg. I am enjoying it now, lovely taste from the ginger, herbs and umboshi, which is acidic taste. Best of all is all in one pan :)

I ditched the soup, into the plughole. I didn`t like it and life is too short, wasn`t looking forward to it, so its gone to feed the fish in the sea. I`ll have the rest of the salad leaves instead, with a few nuts

I am not getting any veg delivery this week, I use A and C or R (seldom) or lately local county delivery (they pick up and deliver all over the county). Got to use my own frozen stuff up first and empty my veg drawers. I`ll stop using the first two soon, as my own stuff kicks in but third one is good for goats milk for kefir and I buy several and freeze

caronc, kale doesn`t do well in buckets. Little gem does well in troughs and so do various leaves but CBA with the leaves these days. Alfalfa sprouts is an easy one for salad type veg or an addition to peanut butter/cheese etc. I`ll be growing tomatoes, leeks and carrots in buckets at home. Potatoes are also good but I don`t eat them. I am only growing salad stuff on the allotment now, not in troughs

Finished my lunch, will make it again with an umboshi, I think I have four left in the jar, lasts forever in the fridge
  • Pop_Up_Pirate
    Options
    I just took a look at that Gusto.
    Wow! Expensive and not very nutritious to boot. How can people justify that kind of money on that kind of food?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Got that "bedsit cookery" vibe today....

Breakfast was a pot of jelly/peaches - made yesterday and intended as trifles, it's not going to happen now as I CBA making more custard (ate the first lot waiting for the jelly to set yesterday).

Then I had a 2nd pot of jelly/fruit a bit later....that's sealed the fate of them being trifles as there was still a SLIM chance I'd have made custard for two pots, but it won't happen for one.

Lunch was a Not Poodle.... curry flavour. 25p at Home Bargains, so I bought four a couple of weeks ago.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,224 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 19 April 2017 at 2:51PM
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    But you'd still have had plenty of variety. The point is, there's no need to eat the same thing every day for a week.

On variety front, that is one reason I do not food plan ahead really until my YS mooching is completed, and why I like the ready made meals for one offers, that way I can get three or more different meals without having to faf around or think about it

Just this week has been slow braised beef, liver & bacon, will be veg lasagne & a chicken curry to come, all chilled and in date

Breakfast was more marmalade on toast, thought I would have a change but when I looked in the pantry only thing there in spread on bread line was fish paste and did not fancy that at that time of day

Lunch I went fishy, small tin tuna, mixed with chopped red onion [posh buy on offer Lidl], mixed with mayo, inside a sanrnie, and some left for another day, isn't there always in a single house?

Today though is cooking, sort of, recipe as follows

Open tin of red salmon, BBE June 2015
    Open small packet of mixed crunchy salad leaves, sell buy 17 April
    2 fresh toms from a Lidl 1Kg net, not yet wrinkled but lush, ripe & red
    Some slices of cuc, used 35p voucher at Morrison's
    Couple of large spoonfuls of Smart Price coleslaw, actually in date and not bubbling
    Some mini spuds from Lidl 29p on offer 1.5Kg, wash & chuck in Actifry, this is the "cooking" bit of the CFO

served with blob of mayo, salad cream would be nice here but none in

Cracked open the Easter egg & scoffed the chunky Kit Kat inside, never had a chunky one, very nice but not one to buy, too tasty

Tomorrow is Easter Bunny hunt at RHS Wisley with the younger grand chlidren, so lunch is God knows what from one of the cafes there
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    That's the buffet leftovers now scoffed and very nice they were too! Thankfully there wasn't so much that using them up became a chore!;)
    Cumberland sausage with mashed swede and tatties tonight - all from the freezer so easy peasy though I'll make a spot of onion gravy to go with it:D
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,142 Forumite
    Options
    I just took a look at that Gusto.
    Wow! Expensive and not very nutritious to boot. How can people justify that kind of money on that kind of food?

I don't use Gousto, I get mine elsewhere and the pricing is lower, however I can justify that kind of money on that kind of food. And so, apparently can plenty of other people as there are a number of these services and they've all been in business for a while now.

I'm not going to apologise for having a well-paid job. I worked hard for it. And I still work hard, hence not having time to think, plan or shop. It certainly beats a diet of toast or biscuits which is what can happen if I'm not careful when I'm busy. Between the travel and the long office hours when I am actually at home (I started at 6.30 this morning, had 15 minutes for lunch, have about 45 minutes now to cook and eat, and then have meetings and deadlines to deal with so expect to finish around 10 or 11 if I'm lucky), shopping, cooking and eating can end up being neglected.

Perhaps you should be a little less judgmental and try to understand that everyone has different lifestyles. They're very clearly demonstrated by the many posters on this thread, all of whom have come to CFO from different perspectives and like different foods (did you see PN's review of my menu ;))
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Options
    I used 4 of the spuds I got on the cheap at Ald1 the other week ... and steamed them.

I opened a can of tuna (one of a stack) I've had since probably 2015 ... and I added in almost all of the chopped onions I've got ... and a big squirt of my newly purchased bottle of salad cream and, just because I can, I tossed a liberal amount of cayenne on ... and mixed it all together.

Spuds steamed, I dolloped the tuna mix on top .... and ate the lot with a big spoon on the sofa :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure