Buildings Insurance - Previous Subsidence due to Accident

Wonder if anyone can advise me on the following.

House purchased Dec 2003, survey showed house had been underpinned due to subsistence caused by accident (flooding due to burst water pipe) about 3 years ago. Previous insurer was Zurich. On buying the house, renewed insurance with Zurich for 1 year, no problems. Come Dec 2004, no renewal notice so cover has now lapsed. 3 months on to March, Zurich have still not agreed to insure us again. They are umming and aarring over finding the original policy and reinstating it, being passed all over the place, broker, underwriter etc so now we just want to forget Zurich and get cover from another insurer.

Does anyone know the best way to go about this? We were told by Zuruch that only they would insure us because of the subsistence, but I dont belive them to be honest! Does anyone have any experience of this or know of any reputable companies who would cover us given our circumstances and not charge the earth!

Comments

• jstallan
    jstallan Posts: 326 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi

The concern might be that a period has elapsed since you were last insured... Previously I know that Direct Line carried on a policy on a building that had subsidence due to plants etc...

We learned a few months ago that via a change of mortgage lender that our current property had been underpinned 20yrs ago. We told this to our present insurer (Norwich Union) who were happy to carry on with the policy, but increased the excess from £1,000 to £5,000 for subsidence. We did phone around some other big names and they basically doubled the annual premium.

John
  • dwarfer01
    dwarfer01 Posts: 73 Forumite
    Thaks for that I may give Direct Line a call... It is our fault that we forgot to reinsure, but the renewal letter went to our old address!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure