Zurich Insurance - Home Policy

Has anyone had any experience of making a claim on their building insurance with Zurich? I am having a nightmare with them at the moment!!!

Comments

• savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi JeNjEn just bumping this up for you, as I noticed you haven't had any replies.
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • maclean2
    maclean2 Posts: 709 Forumite
    Hi - please describe the problem in a bit more detail as normally Zurich area reasonable enough bunch

alasdair
  • JeNjEn_3
    JeNjEn_3 Posts: 87 Forumite
    We had some damage to our house in a storm over new year, I made a claim, firstly they said that the claim was refused because there had been no storms, then when we proved them wrong, they said that they were refusing the claim because the cost of the repair was less than the excess -which is £50 - we asked them for the name of a builder who would come and repair the damage including scaffolding for less than £50 - they couldnt!!!!!! Our builder has quoted £380 !!!

Now they have agreed to repair the problems , using their own contractor - 2 months after the initial claim - today I received a letter from a limited company firm of builders asking me to send them £50 and saying that they will come and do the repair in approx 4 weeks - checked out the company with companies house and they are 12 months late in filing their annual return - doesnt inspire much confidence or tempt me to part with £50 to them!!!! Rung Zurich who just are not interested its a case of send them the £50 excess or go away!!! I have been with them for 15 years and this is my first claim!
  • GoFigure
    GoFigure Posts: 16 Forumite
    Ringing call centres rarely gets you anywhere (regrettably). Write to Zurich and tell them how badly treated you have been (and feel) thus far, the fact that you have been with them for 15 years without making a claim, and express your concerns about the builders they have instructed.
    Ask them if they will reimburse your £50 if the builders don't turn up/go bust etc. in the intervening 4 weeks, and also ask them how they select/review their approved repairers given the builder's non-submission of trading accounts?
    I know if I owned a building firm and got on a major insurer's approved repairers panel I would do everything I could to make sure I stayed there (this is a very lucrative appointment)- so it is a bit concerning that they are not up-to-date with Companies House....
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure