SportKa MOT advisories question - oil leak

Options

Comments

• Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    [...] I will do it in stages and try to keep on top of it.

That's absolutely the right approach.

Bear in mind you're tackling a decade of slow decay. Once you get on to of it, keeping there is a lot easier!
  • AliceBanned
    AliceBanned Posts: 3,048 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello. I found the lower patch of rust peels off like wallpaper with a screwdriver. So I bought a scraper tool from Halfords and got that bit off in five minutes.

The top section was primed last time and had another coat last weekend, but we've had rain so I didn't get round to adding the finish. Just posting the pics of these two stages (the top and the bottom bit) of that section of the sill.

Does this look ok?

The bit where I removed as much as I could and added primer, is quite bubbly. The bottom bit is far easier and scraping back to bare metal. I've attached some pics of the scrapings - just wondered whether this is just top coat of paint with early rust? It is black and soft and I wondered what it is but presume this is what it looks like early on?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    First photo looks fine as it is. The black peeling stuff you can see in the second is (probably factory) stone-chip paint - basically a rbbery paint they put on OVER the car's paintwork for stones to bounce off, and te grey underneath it is the undamaged paintwork it was applied over.

The third photo is also looking good. the patches in the centre and to the left are purely surface - give it a rub-down with wet & dry or emery and treat it.

The area to concentrate on in those is the part to the top right and the bottom right corner. Neither are bad but the top right needs to be cleaned back to see what's causing the rougness (won't be serious and may be previously treated rust). The bottom corner is typical stone damage to an edge / corner and wants to be cleaned back to an area of maybe half the height of the photo square and treated.
  • AliceBanned
    Options
    Oh. Duh. In that case I've peeled off some of the stonechip paint that I didn't need to. Oh well, will have to put some back on.

Thanks for the feedback. I seem to keep leaving it half-finished but it is quite time-consuming keeping on top of all the different bits. I will do some more at the weekend. I'll clean off those new patches of rust and then finally spray the bit that has primer on.
  • roneik
    roneik Posts: 139 Forumite
    Options
    I had an 08 plate KA and used to do the oil change myself. It was a zetec with the filter at the front of the engine ,at just above bumper height. It was a nice car with no real problems. I traded it in for a mini which is the best small car I have ever owned. Oil filter is near the top of the engine , it sits in a canister that you use a 17mil socket on.
    Only moan is no spare wheel, six gears though and very nice to drive. I now want the 3 cylinder version more power and only 20 quid road tax 0 to sixty is less than 8 seconds:j
  • AliceBanned
    Options
    roneik wrote: »
    I had an 08 plate KA and used to do the oil change myself. It was a zetec with the filter at the front of the engine ,at just above bumper height. It was a nice car with no real problems. I traded it in for a mini which is the best small car I have ever owned. Oil filter is near the top of the engine , it sits in a canister that you use a 17mil socket on.
    Only moan is no spare wheel, six gears though and very nice to drive. I now want the 3 cylinder version more power and only 20 quid road tax 0 to sixty is less than 8 seconds:j

Thanks, helpful information. I like driving the KA but when I eventually upgrade the mini is something I have my eye on too. Supposed to be a nice drive.

Think I will have a go at the oil change next time.

My KA is 53 plate so it seems to be starting to get a few problems. Nothing major so far but I have noticed I am spending more money on it and a few more things need attention. I've noticed a couple more things recently but I'm hoping it will be ok for another two or three years.
  • roneik
    roneik Posts: 139 Forumite
    Options
    If you do go for a mini I would not have the run flat tires, very harsh ride. If you have a test drive you will be smitten. really comfy and as I said before it's the nicest small car I have ever driven. I keep finding excuses to take it for a whirl. The 1.6 engine is quite capable very nippy and holds the road well.:j
  • AliceBanned
    Options
    roneik wrote: »
    If you do go for a mini I would not have the run flat tires, very harsh ride. If you have a test drive you will be smitten. really comfy and as I said before it's the nicest small car I have ever driven. I keep finding excuses to take it for a whirl. The 1.6 engine is quite capable very nippy and holds the road well.:j

OK thanks. It will be a while yet but it is on my list! Enjoy roneik! :)
  • AliceBanned
    Options
    OK err I'm ashamed to say that I may have undone some of the good work done in June/July on my Ka.

I had got to the stage of removing all the visible rust and putting on the anti-rust and primer. I left it like this, for some reason never got round to spraying on the finishing colour but at least I knew with that bit the rust had been removed.

Problem is, where I accidentally removed the stone-chip paint, I had not got round to repairing this. So at the moment it is like this and I'm not sure what to do with that (the very bottom half of the sill was shiny silver where I had removed the black stone-chip, and the blotches on the pics are where some of the stone-chip paint remains. Is this bit now getting rusty? What do I do now with this - is it too damaged to put stone-chip paint on top?

I'd really appreciate any help. It is the hardest bit to get at as well.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/wv92mxdqw67280m/2015-09-20%2014.45.55.jpg?dl=0

Just so you know - the big splodges are not rust - they are stone-chip paint bits left. I need to re-do that whole area in this but I am not sure whether it needs treating before I do this? Many thanks as I'm panicking a bit in case I've ruined the sill.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure