Commitment phobes

Long story, I've recently posted on here about my relationship ending.
In a nutshell, we were seeing each other last year, got on really well, then out of the blue, he just left my house on my birthday with no explanation, ended things the following day, saying he had been on his own too long and his feelings had changed for me.
Fast forward 5 months, he contacted me again, saying he wanted us to try again, he was much more confident this time round, (he said) told me when he ended it the first time he was scared, and he thought his head was going to explode.
We started seeing each other again, things couldn't have been better, not a cross word in all the time we had been seeing each other.

I had a bit of a strop about something (first time) and he's ended things again, saying literally overnight that his feelings have changed for me???

The last text he sent me said he had lived alone for a long time, and he knew how to look after himself....Then he blocked me and cut me out of his life.

In total, this is the 3rd time he has done this, and it has left me upset and bemused.

It sounds ridiculous, but he is a good person, and couldn't have been more loving and caring....Then bam, his personality changes!
I've made no attempt to contact him through any routes, but just wondered if anyone has experienced this themselves, or if they have done it to someone, and why they did it.

He has been living alone for about 15 years, and apart from a couple of short relationships many years ago, I'm the first person he has had a relationship with in many years.

It went from us having a great time and enjoying each others company (and him constantly telling me that I've brightend up his life, and he thinks about me all the time) to literally cutting me out of his life overnight.

Comments

• Op - if your best friend had the same problem, how would you advise her?;)

That's your answer!

Be your own best friend!!
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    I think you need to move on. He's done the same thing to you several times, the reasons aren't really that important, what is important is that you learn not to keep going back and back only for the same thing to happen again.
  • Sounds like a man child, move on and leave him to it.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    From your other thread:
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I think you want answers (and I'd be exactly the same in your position) but I really don't think you'll get them.

FWIW, I think you've had a lucky escape. He sounds like he's got loads of issues and I don't think he'd ever really give 100% in a relationship.

I think it's less commitment phobia, more that he's just used to being on his own after such a long time and he might have been happy with a relationship that sounded more like 'friends with benefits' but when you threw your strop he decided it just wasn't worth the hassle.

As above, I really doubt that you'll get any answers.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Caroline_a wrote: »
    I think you need to move on. He's done the same thing to you several times, the reasons aren't really that important, what is important is that you learn not to keep going back and back only for the same thing to happen again.

I agree
    If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got

Or as Einstein put it, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result".
    MXW wrote: »
    He has been living alone for about 15 years

Not surprised.
    and apart from a couple of short relationships many years ago, I'm the first person he has had a relationship with in many years.

That's because you're the only person that would put up with this nonsense.
  • It's not nice being the fallback date, especially when Tinder is so easy to use as soon as they're not getting their own way.

That's not a commitment phobe, that's somebody who likes being the centre of the universe and enjoys the first stages of dating, rather than wanting to take things deeper/further, plus not being prepared to consider other people's feelings. Notice that he legged it when it was your birthday? And when you were not doing as he wanted? Not his birthday, or when you were agreeing with him?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Sounds like you have been more than reasonable in giving him multiple chances. Realistically he might be a nice person but you can't have a stable future if you are always worried he might take off again. Some people don't have emotional maturity and run from issues rather than facing up to things. Put it behind you and move on.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    It does sound as if he wanted to have his cake and eat it up to a certain point, at which stage something happened, even possibly something quite trivial in many peoples' eyes which bought it home to him that if he moved your relationship any further forward something radical in his well ordered single life would have to change.

And rather than have the courage to discuss this honestly and openly he took the coward!s way out because he doesn't have the interpersonal skills to handle difficult communications in a relationship. So he cut off and shut down.

I suppose the first time ought to have been a warning but you were not to know. The benefit of hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it and being told to move on is all very well but not so easy to do until you're really able to get your head round the reason why. Mysteries are like drying scabs waiting to be scratched again.

Perhaps you just have to try and understand that when he was comparing his single life compared with with his life with you in it, if he had to give them both a score out of ten in terms of which was the one he could best cope with, his single life gave him "Enough". It wasn't perfect and it was lonely at time perhaps but it was the one he could best cope with knowing his inadequcies at being able to adapt his behaviour to co-existing with another person.

If I remember rightly he has already had one failed marriage and that had probably left him permanently scarred emotionally. He has not had sufficient lengthy relationships since then to practice learning any new coping and adapting behaviours and when your relationship starting to get to a point where things were getting a little more serious all his old doubts probably started returning.

He may still be missing your company despite the break up but I suspect he will not risk exposing his inability to cope with the commitment of another serious relationship again. He will dip in and out again perhaps, temporarily enthuse and give false security to somebody else but will be unable to commit because the demands are just to scary in case things go wrong. So , no real answers for you unfortunately apart from bad luck in ending up with somebody who just couldn't,t cope with the demands that a serious relationship makes on individuals.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure