Great 'Cheap Stag/Hen Do' Hunt

Comments

• I agree with the suggestion of the 'stag/hen night in' party. For my sister's hen night one of the possibilities discussed was staying in, watching Sex and the City box sets and chick flicks, eating chocolate and ice cream, drinking cocktails doing pampering stuff (face packs, painting each other's nails etc) and just generally chilling out. You could also do a stag version but with video games or Steven Seagal-type movies.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • Sarah-J
    Sarah-J Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just had my hen do :) We took a boat trip up the Thames from Abingdon to Oxford for £10.50pp, raided the supermarket, and then headed down to Christchurch Meadows for a picnic by the river with some srumbly food and Pimms. The evening was spent at a middle eastern restaurant, again by the river (are you spotting a theme here?!), where we had a fixed price mezze at £15pp (tons of food!) and belly dancing.

Some folk came for the whole day and some just came for parts of it, so it wasn't too pricey. Total costs including drinks was probably around £50-60 for the day, which I don't think's too bad! My friends that organised it probably spent an extra £10 or so on props for some very simple silly games, which were great fun & worked extremely well without being the usual ritual humiliation - let me know if you want any details of them. I had a wonderful day :T

So stick with the advice of keeping it local, and look around for things that you can do for yourselves like picnics - you really don't have to spend a fortune. It does help to have a back up plan if the weather's not as great as it was for me though - this is the UK after all...
  • foxystoat69
    foxystoat69 Posts: 367 Forumite
    For the folks who have mentioned Liverpool/Chester Races, the meeting on Saturday 10th July, call Chester Races Box office, the cost of tickets to the open course (the centre of the course) is normally £10, but for groups of 30+ there's a 20% discount on this.

I'm having one of my stag do's there...in the slightly more expensive section ;)....

Race dates here http://www.chester-races.co.uk/fixtures

Box Office number is 01244 304610
  • layla1979
    layla1979 Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    I won, I won, I won!
    Im in need od w1lly straws and ballons etc! Anyone know where I can get them cheap?
    Thanks to everyone who posts
    @laylafletcher FB layla fletcher
    IM GETTING MARRIED :happyhear
  • I've booked the afternoon part of my hen do with Kiki and Eli who run cupcake decorating hen parties! All my hens are totally up for it as not only is it an ultra-girlie activity but everyone gets to learn a new skill and take away with them all the lovely cupcakes they've made, so my hens get something out of it too.. its about £30 per person which we thought was pretty reasonable, plus they're based in the country side so we're getting away from the city night out saga and having a country girlie retreat instead : )

Layla1979 - i hosted a hen do a little while back and got those straws cheaply on ebay ; )
  • Pleasant surprise at the last hen do I went on.

The hen went to Alton towers (and had loads of BOGOF vouchers), and stayed in a lovely lodge close by with a jacuzzi and self catering. Ended up paying £50 for the accomodation (six sharing a cabin but not cramped at all), £10 for food (including a packed lunch at Alton Towers), plus £15 for entry.
    Was less than £100 for the whole weekend including getting there and snacks through the day.

Much better than the last hen weekend I went on in London which cost over £350.
  • Shirazee
    Shirazee Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My eldest daughter recently went on a hen night to Magaluf. As the hen she drank free all night and the rest of the party got a jug of 'sex on the beach' and shots for free, and after that any drinks were two for one, she said that they struggled to drink all the free alcohol which was available to them! :beer:
  • lisap4123
    lisap4123 Posts: 97 Forumite
    AnnaLouise wrote: »
    Can you please tell me where you did the canoeing down the River Wye? Am heading that way in August for a hen weekend and that sounds ideal!

Thanks

Sure we used Wyedean based at Simmons Yat - beautiful riverside village.
    http://wyedean.co.uk/

They were knowledgable and professional and hunky guys too.
    There were 2 other stag do's canoeing down the river but just us as the hen do. It was a really sociable activity as you get to chat so so many other canoers going down river at same time. We did the half day from something bridge castle or something back to Simmonds Yat which is meant to take 3 hours but took us 4 (we stopped for half hour picnic). If I did it again I would do the days canoeing on the same stretch and have a more leisurely journey, as for the last hour we were getting tired and having to canoe quite hard to get back.
    It was an amazing experience and I would definately recommend. Only 1 of our group had canoed before and we all got on fine. No capsizes or anything - they are very stable canoes.

Hope this helps.
  • I had two hen parties. One was an ann summers party with the girls from work. I organised a buffet, just pizzas, crisps, sandwiches etc all of which I got from Asda fairly cheaply and asked the girls to bring a bottle each. It was great fun and worked really well. My second hen party was a 'pamper party' which I held at my house. I know a girl who is training to be a beauty therapist at college so her and a friend did the treatments for us at college prices. Again I provided a buffet and asked everyone to bring a bottle. This was excellent fun and everyone enjoyed the pampering. Much less stress abd expense than a weekend away but still lots of fun!
    I wasn't overly bothered about going to a nightclub etc but if you wanted to you could hold the pamper party or ann summers party first and then go into town etc.
  • This is my first post! Just had to reply because I have just had an amazing hen weekend with my friends and family in North Devon. We went to the Lynton Lynmouth music festival (google LLAMA) which is a free volunteer run festival. We stayed in B&B's but you could have camped to make it even cheaper. My sister wowed us all with a surprise treasure hunt all over the town during the morning, cryptic clues leading us along the coast to win paper aeroplanes which we raced on the cliff top. Certainly made for some funny photos. The final clue told us to look behind us to discover my Mum, cousin and friend sitting in a gazebo sporting wedding hats with a full homemade lunch for us all, she even made the jam in the cake! Yum! After lounging in the sun with fizzy wine we headed back to the festival for bands and dancing into the night. It really was fantastic and shows how with a bit of creativity and lots of planning it’s simple to have the best weekend ever! Thanks girls:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure