Do we need to pay for legal cover when buying car insurance?

Hi All

Just looking into renewing my car insurance and wondered why we should buy legal cover with our car insurance........... What do you get for it?

Surely insurance companies will fight your case for you with or without this, (they want to pay out as little as poss).

If you have legal cover with your home insurance policy could you not use that? ie for injuries

On holiday I met someone who work for a company that insurers used to fight cases and she told me that we didn't need to pay for legal cover but the insurance companies dont tell you this.

I dont know how true this is do you?

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Surely insurance companies will fight your case for you with or without this

Legal cover is for UNINSURED losses e.g. your insurance excess.
    The insurance company will not fight for things you are not insured for (hence the term uninsured).
    If you have legal cover with your home insurance policy could you not use that? ie for injuries

You can check your own policy but all the ones I've seen specifically exclude accidents whilst driving or a passenger in a motor vehicle (which does not exclude being a pedestrian, cyclist or horse rider etc.).

You could either get insurance AFTER the event or you could get a very cheap policy from https://www.matthewsguide.co.uk or you could google for "free legal cover".
    I did the latter and got a free policy from Adrian Flux in return for allowing then to quote me for insurance. I am not sure whether that deal is still running though, hence my suggestion to use google now.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    The charge for legal cover is not much, most will give you a v small rebate if you decline the option. My main concern is the quality of the cover provided by DAS is pretty poor and in my experience they not extend much effort on your behalf.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Usually its less than £25, most people who have used it will back its value, those who haven't arent usually aware of what it offers.

As was stated above it covers uninsured losses, if your fully comp and get hit by an uninsured driver your insurer will pay out, as they have no one to recover their costs from your premium will be loaded (regardless of ncd protection) and you might lose ncd if not protected.

it also assists in the recovery of compensation for things like whiplash, loss of limb, burns, paralysis, death etc. The cost of travel if courtesy car not provided

basically without it its your responsibility to do all the running about contacting people and forcing the issue, this 'can' be particulary difficult if the third party insurers liability dept will only speak to solicitors.

Whilst you may have to chase them up, the hassle its saves is usually worth it.

there are always no win no fee options, but the legal with your insurer will come from a panel that they vet and as such you would be able to take any complaints back to them directly should you wish.

its true that a lot of insurers profits come from the product, and its obviously personal preference but having used it myself and knowing people have claims without it, I'd say it was money well spent.
  • Thanks for your replies and after reading them, I think it will be best to still include it when buying my insurance.

Just one other thing I have followed martins brief on finding the cheapest quote and now that I have the best four quotes I would like to go to the companies websites and check the quotes.
    If I do this and then clear my cookies, will I be able to then go through quidco to buy the insurance to get my cash back.
    thanks
  • lisyloo
    If I do this and then clear my cookies, will I be able to then go through quidco to buy the insurance to get my cash back.

Yes, and it's an interesting exercise because anecdotally some people have found quotes through quidco to be higher.

A couple of warnings though

1) I have sometimes found that quotes get higher every time you check.
    2) Some companies do a credit check e.g. Royal Sun Alliance (which I think is MoreThan) for every quote. Once I did lots of varying quote (3rd party, fully comp etc.) and I ended up with about 20 credit checks on my credit report.

So I think there are reason not to do the quote too many times.
  • lisyloo wrote: »

You could either get insurance AFTER the event or you could get a very cheap policy from www.matthewsguide.co.uk or you could google for "free legal cover".
    I did the latter and got a free policy from Adrian Flux in return for allowing then to quote me for insurance. I am not sure whether that deal is still running though, hence my suggestion to use google now.

I'm gonna google like you suggest. Also has anyone used matthewsguide for car insurance quotes?
  • I work in the legal sector and legal expenses insurance on your motor policy is often a waste of money for recovering your unisured losses after an RTA. All law firms will place you on a 'no win no fee' agreement. If you getting the insurance for this policy i would give it a miss.....if the legal expenses insurance extends to areas such as employment, housing etc it may worth getting.
  • crazy_guy wrote: »
    I work in the legal sector and legal expenses insurance on your motor policy is often a waste of money for recovering your unisured losses after an RTA. All law firms will place you on a 'no win no fee' agreement. If you getting the insurance for this policy i would give it a miss.....if the legal expenses insurance extends to areas such as employment, housing etc it may worth getting.

Hi crazy_guy

Thanks for your post, this is interesting and what the person on holiday told me.

So what about injuries and loss of earnings claim etc due to a car accident do they cover this too on a "no win no fee"..... without buying legal expenses?

Maybe it's something that Martin could look into?
  • The £22 i paid or my legal cover with my car insurance was the best £22 spent, ater a car drove into me a year ago, i have now been offered £2500 settlement, plus my no claims back, plus my excess, loss of income, and cost of getting the car towed 100 odd miles home.

My lovely insurance company i have heard from twice in regards to the accident in a whole year, both of which was me contacting them. They have been useless ( im with a different insurance company now). Unlike the solicitors that i got with my legal cover, who have always been in touch, battled on on my side when the other party wouldnt admit fault and sorted it out for me. If I didnt have the legal cover each letter alone from a solicitor would have cost about £100.

When you thin khow much it will be per month with your premium it is definetley worth it!
    £2 Savers club £0/£150
    1p a day £/
  • lisyloo
    So what about injuries and loss of earnings claim etc due to a car accident do they cover this too on a "no win no fee"..... without buying legal expenses?
    I'm not being funny, but which part of .........
    I work in the legal sector and legal expenses insurance on your motor policy is often a waste of money for recovering your unisured losses after an RTA. All law firms will place you on a 'no win no fee' agreement.

didn't you understand.....

Did I mis-read it? or has this question already been answered.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure