The Ultimate Incentive muddles along

Comments

• Dinah93
    Dinah93 Posts: 11,463
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    Hi Cinny, lovely to see you. It's our hope to start it up again - I did it many years ago, but in a maiden name, and a different address, so I should be eligable for new customer offers. How did you manage to make a full time wage of it!? I only ever made about £2k total from the new sign up offers, they never seemed to send me repeat offers :(
    Debt January 1st 2018 £96,999.81
    Debt September 20th 2022 £2991.68- 96.92% paid off
    Met NIM 23/06/2008
  • Cinny91
    Cinny91 Posts: 6,022
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    We used the matched betting site called Profit Accumulator (I think!) it's £20something a month but lists all the deals as well as having a calculator and odds checker to work from which made it much easier for me having been baffled by it for years! But we did bet kind of big for all the sign up offers, which obviously sets you off well.
  • clearmydebts
    clearmydebts Posts: 6,485
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Dinah93 wrote: »
    It's been discussed but no, NIM does not want to do any more childcare than he currently does, and he does no housework so when I work that's all on me and I hate that I come home and do housework and spend no time with the kids and he's been with them all day and doesn't appreciate that fact. He doesn't feel he could cope with the kids 5 days a week, and he really does want to work. I looked today actually at jobs in my former area, but the nearest one is 47 miles away as it's a sector that has retracted massively with the government cuts, and given the job up there is private sector it means late nights as it's a very client pleasing industry. It's just not where I want to be with a family and I have very strong beliefs on the kids needing a parent to be there for them as it's what they're used to, NIMs issues should impact on them as little as possible rather than them paying the price. It's a discussion my mother in law has brought up time and time again, and she will not hear of how much childcare costs, but without a minute's hesitation I would sell the house and live off the equity for a few years until Ben was in school before I put my children in full time childcare, no judgement on those who do but it's not what I chose to do.

Still can't work out that final balance for NIM, and it's the one I need as the 0% finished about a week ago on the 14th, and we do have some money in the account to put towards clearing it, although not enough.

In fairness my OH would be the same. He definitely not be into staying at home. I am so glad I only do 2.5 days in work. There are so much things going on with the kids when they start school that it is nice to be able to attend sports days etc and bring them to appointments.

Just make sure you are minding yourself. It sounds like you have an awful lot to contend with and speaking from experience, depressed people are not easy people to live it.
    Total (Aug 19):€58,567 Now:€26,947
    DFD:Nov 22/June 22
    Mortgage: €199,712
    MFD: March 2042/July 2034
  • Littlebirdie
    Littlebirdie Posts: 253
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    NIM has just taken Grace out for her busy Tuesday of french and dancing, which gives me around 4 hours of money making time. So my goals:
    - write up my CV
    - Apply for the two part time jobs I've seen
    - Finish listing Mr Museum mugs on Etsy

May find writing the CV challenging as I don't have any office software on this computer, I've found a CD of office 2003.... but my computer doesn't have a CD drive, so I also need to find a CD drive. I may just use NIMs laptop to be honest and be done with it. Desperately need to get office and photoshop on this beast.

Microsoft office do a free 30 day trial. Thereafter it's £7.99. After the free trial, its not money saving but to be honest I put it into my budget becasue I needed it for a stressful job so didnt want to go to the library! Good Luck x
    To staying out of debt!
    Credit card (Nov 2018):£894.60 . Emergency fund: £2000/3000
  • Dinah93
    Forumite
    Thanks LittleBirdie, I've used the free trial already. I think I'm going to sterilise the 2003 copy and hope for the best.

Covered a class today so that's £15 (minus fuel) and then spent the afternoon cleaning and cake baking for Ben's BBQ at the weekend. Applied for an online focus group, I've also seen a local job I could be well suited for, it says part time but not how many hours of part time, or what pattern of work, wish there was a contact so I could ask these questions but there is only an apply here button.

Finding I'm a LOT more concerned about money when my bank account is in credit rather than debit as it seems a lot more like spending my real hard earned money and I hate to see it going down!

Two interviews for NIM were supposed to let him know this week... not looking positive since the one he really really wanted was supposed to be by Wednesday.
    Met NIM 23/06/2008
  • clearmydebts
    Forumite
    Thanks LittleBirdie, I've used the free trial already. I think I'm going to sterilise the 2003 copy and hope for the best.

Covered a class today so that's £15 (minus fuel) and then spent the afternoon cleaning and cake baking for Ben's BBQ at the weekend. Applied for an online focus group, I've also seen a local job I could be well suited for, it says part time but not how many hours of part time, or what pattern of work, wish there was a contact so I could ask these questions but there is only an apply here button.

Finding I'm a LOT more concerned about money when my bank account is in credit rather than debit as it seems a lot more like spending my real hard earned money and I hate to see it going down!

Two interviews for NIM were supposed to let him know this week... not looking positive since the one he really really wanted was supposed to be by Wednesday.

Fingers crossed for NIM. I know you were saying he wants to get out of the care area, what does he want to do? My OH first became depressed because of a job he was doing. It was more the working environment than the actual work. It's awful seeing someone going into a job they hate. Luckily now he is with a lovely company but it was awful at the time and he had to stay there for 2.5yrs :(
  • Dinah93
    Forumite
    NIM got a job offer! It's about a £6k payrise, he's very excited, it is over two sites so we're going to need to get a new car to replace his, but wahey- income again! It's healthcare management, so I guess that's the direction his career is going in now. Most of the jobs he was applying for were in data analysis, not sure to be honest which he would have preferred, he's just very glad to have got an offer. It's set hours too so I can plan my work around that and potentially we can take on extra work evenings/weekends until we clear the debt.

Heard back from one of our packaged bank account fee reclaims - been successful but it turns out we only paid one month when I thought we'd paid a year or so, so that's £7 back. Every little helps I guess.
    Met NIM 23/06/2008
  • clearmydebts
    Forumite
    NIM got a job offer! It's about a £6k payrise, he's very excited, it is over two sites so we're going to need to get a new car to replace his, but wahey- income again! It's healthcare management, so I guess that's the direction his career is going in now. Most of the jobs he was applying for were in data analysis, not sure to be honest which he would have preferred, he's just very glad to have got an offer. It's set hours too so I can plan my work around that and potentially we can take on extra work evenings/weekends until we clear the debt.

Heard back from one of our packaged bank account fee reclaims - been successful but it turns out we only paid one month when I thought we'd paid a year or so, so that's £7 back. Every little helps I guess.

That's wonderful news especially as the hours are fixed. Hopefully this is the start of better things for both of you
  • Birdie85
    Birdie85 Posts: 9,330 Forumite
    Hi all! I haven't been on here for quite a while :o

Nice to see everyone coming back, it's lovely to see you all here!

Great news about NIM's job offer! I hope that it works out for him and that he's feeling better soon.

With the word software, there's some free 'Like Word but Not Word' software out there that does the job. There's a guide on this site somewhere... Look here

Hope you're doing OK Tete and sending loves to Zig if she's around too. Glad to hear you're well and happy Kavics, Little K is so gorgeous!

No major news from me; just got back from a holiday with DH's family that MIL paid for... I feel like I paid for it in other ways though! Mainly for biting my tongue for a week solid! MIL is fab, the rest of them? Not so much! ;) We've booked to go back to Florida next May for 11 days at Universal's Cabana Bay - ridiculously it was cheaper to go there with car hire and Universal tickets than to go to a decent resort in Spain/Greece! We're not doing Disney this time as it's just not worth it now that we have to pay for Z-dogg so we're just treating it as a pool/sun/food/HP World holiday! :cool: My folks might come out at the same time and spend a few days with us before heading off to the coast which will be nice. We're also going to Centre Parcs in September with my brother's gang, any tips for not spending a fortune whilst there?!
    Overcome the notion that you must be ordinary. It robs you of the chance to be extraordinary!
    Goal Weight 140lb Starting Weight: 160lb Current Weight 145lb
  • Tete_en_l'Air
    Tete_en_l'Air Posts: 7,134
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Fab news about the job - congrats NIM! Oh you must feel so optimistic compared to a few days ago!

Nice to see you Birdie, I'm v jealous of your HP World trip - I'm listening to all the audiobooks in preparation for the Cursed Child book coming out and TBH I prefer them to the muggle world at the mo :(
    Weightloss: 14.5/65lb
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure