Communication with Executor Only

I am the only acting executor of an estate of around £300k and have received an email from the bank saying they have discussed the finances of the estate via email with a beneficiary.

Am I correct in thinking this is well out of order?
What are the legalities of this, especially regarding data protection etc?

TIA.

Comments

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I don't know but if it was me I would certainly be asking the same questions
  • Gilead
    Gilead Posts: 90 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I would certainly query under what provision this information was disclosed to the beneficiary, along with what specifically was disclosed.

My assumption would be that only a named executor in possession once they have been identified as such should be able to obtain this information. Could there be a miscommunication? Bank possibly advised beneficiary of process, but did not give information out? Data breaches are serious and financial institutions would be well aware of the consequences.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Are they admitting to you that they have done so and realise it was a mistake? or are saying they have discussed it with Mr X as though it was an entirely normal thing to do?
  • What does the bank mean by "discussed"? Are they simply telling you they have received an enquiry from a beneficiary?
  • Margot123 wrote: »
    I am the only acting executor of an estate of around £300k and have received an email from the bank saying they have discussed the finances of the estate via email with a beneficiary.

Am I correct in thinking this is well out of order?
    What are the legalities of this, especially regarding data protection etc?

TIA.
    They should not even disclose they hold an account to anyone unauthorised. A serious breach of their duty of privacy and the DPA>
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Thanks all.

I have email proof from a manager of what was discussed with the beneficiary, including finances, sale of property.

My solicitor has now informed me that they are in serious breach of the law and I have redress. It does help that they have put it all in writing too.

I'm bewildered by how unprofessional some 'professionals' are.
  • Margot123 wrote: »
    Thanks all.

I have email proof from a manager of what was discussed with the beneficiary, including finances, sale of property.

My solicitor has now informed me that they are in serious breach of the law and I have redress. It does help that they have put it all in writing too.

I'm bewildered by how unprofessional some 'professionals' are.
    It is astonishing. I can only assume that a junior member of staff did it.
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Barclays gave us copies of statements for 3 bank accounts & a list of all D/Ds & S/Os. Santander did the same. Tesco gave us full mortgage details. All 3 did so on sight of just the death certs. In person though, not email.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • Margot123
    Barclays gave us copies of statements for 3 bank accounts & a list of all D/Ds & S/Os. Santander did the same. Tesco gave us full mortgage details. All 3 did so on sight of just the death certs. In person though, not email.

Was this prior to Grant of Probate?
    Most Banks will do this so the next of kin can sort out funeral arrangements etc. However once Probate has been granted, only those who are named on the Grant are privy to such details.
  • Margot123
    It is astonishing. I can only assume that a junior member of staff did it.

No, apparently a manager, according to the email.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure