Self Employed - No record of previous PAYE earnings

My ex has been self employed from March 2017. Jan - March 2017 he was working as a dog handler security guard on a PAYE basis. When he left, he had huge problems getting a P45. No P60. The company said they had sent it, eventually emailed a blank P45 after many requests. This company were always very very difficult to deal with, why he decided to go self employed.

My ex has an accountant, he needs a record of his PAYE figures, my ex explained his difficulties and the accountant said he'd try to do something or other with the tax office to get the required figures (no idea what). He has been unsuccessful.

Now its getting very close to January 31st when his tax records need to be submitted under self assessment rules.

Bit peeved the accountant has left it til now, and with my ex for not pursuing it with ex employer more actively (they did do quite a dance though telling him repeatedly they had been sent etc).

What can he do, if anything, now?

Comments

• Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

Did he not get payslips each week/month? They will show his pay and tax.

Otherwise, unless he was paid cash, work from his bank statements - the accountant will be able to estimate gross by working backwards from the net.

Or your OH could phone HMRC himself to ask what figures they were given by the employer during the year. (HMRC have a rule not to tell your accountant directly)
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I think you can look up your PAYE salary history online now
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Tom99 wrote: »
    I think you can look up your PAYE salary history online now

Indeed you can if you've set up your personal digital tax account. Unfortunately it's another thing that HMRC decided not to give access for accountants. The OP needs to get her OH to apply online, but given time shortage, may be quicker to just ring HMRC to avoid missing the deadline.
  • Thank you, will get him to sort this out. He isn't very good at admin side of things but I am certainly no expert where the HMRC is concerned either.
  • Asnu
    Asnu Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 21 January 2018 at 3:47PM
    My ex has been self employed from March 2017. Jan - March 2017 he was working as a dog handler security guard on a PAYE basis. When he left, he had huge problems getting a P45. No P60. The company said they had sent it, eventually emailed a blank P45 after many requests. This company were always very very difficult to deal with, why he decided to go self employed.

My ex has an accountant, he needs a record of his PAYE figures, my ex explained his difficulties and the accountant said he'd try to do something or other with the tax office to get the required figures (no idea what). He has been unsuccessful.

Now its getting very close to January 31st when his tax records need to be submitted under self assessment rules.

Bit peeved the accountant has left it til now, and with my ex for not pursuing it with ex employer more actively (they did do quite a dance though telling him repeatedly they had been sent etc).

If your ex gives his account the last payslip he received from his employer, the accountant should be able to work it all out from that :)

As PAYE is recorded real time, then HMRC will know the figures anyway (assuming they were correctly submitted by the employer) - presumably that is what the accountant is trying too. Not sure he'll on this approach succeed, as others have mentioned above.

Other option as mentioned by Tom99, is for your ex to check his online HMRC account.
  • As advised, my ex managed to get the figures he needed from HMRC so the accountant is now able to produce his self assessment, thank goodness.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure