Options
2»

Comments

• John_L_M
    John_L_M Posts: 19 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 January 2018 at 12:30PM
    Options
    Thanks Katiehound and Zanderman, opening at least one or two further current accounts is something I will defiantly do in the very near future, both for account switching purposes and for the benefit of linked savings accounts. Is there one or two banks you can recommend for this purpose.

It was over ten years ago since I tried to open a second current account in a bank branch and was told I had to close the one I had as part of the process so maybe things have changed (or maybe the bank staff were told to lie in order to drum up trade.)

Of course I use online banking with the Nationwide so setting up a couple of of secondary current accounts and moving money into them online in order to fulfil the requirements of the accounts in order to get the switching deal and/or the linked savings accounts will be no problem.

(I was being a slightly sarcastic/disingenuous regarding the bank statements and debit cards - I would just opt for online statements and leave the bank cards at home or even cut them up and through them away. I must say I am surprised that Tesco let you have two current accounts with them.)
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    John_L_M wrote: »
    Thanks, opening at least one or two further current accounts is something I will defiantly do in the very near future, both for account switching purposes and for the benefit of linked savings accounts. Is there one or two banks you can recommend for this purpose.

Current accounts that pay good interest - see https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts#interest

Regular savers that pay good interest (most need you have the corresponding current account) - see https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-regular-savings-accounts
  • gingercordial
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who has replied to my original post. I should point out, just to be absolutely clear, that I am talking about current accounts in my sole name, not current accounts in the name of a business or limited company or savings accounts. I have held many different savings accounts at banks and building societies especially during the height of the ‘carpet bagging’ frenzy of the 1990’s.

Whenever I have tried to open a new current account at a high street bank the staff have always asked me where my current account was with and told me that would have to be closed when opening the new account with them.

I supposed that I just took it on face value to be true and did not question it too much, especially the second or third time this happened when I tried to open a new current account at a different high street bank, and received the same answer.

I can see why having two or three current accounts would be advantageous, first to keep switching and getting the account opening bonuses but also some current accounts allow you to have a linked savings account where, subject to minimum amounts being paid into your current account each month, you can get unto 5% interest when you deposit unto £250 per month in the savings account. ( I have such an account with the Nationwide BS.)

I have to say I am wondering why anyone would want more than three or four current accounts though, just think of the postman bringing all those bank statements, and the size of your wallets, mine is full of loyalty cards, my debit card and two credit cards, if you have 10 or 12 or 19+2 joint current accounts that means the same number of cheque books and debit cards/ATM cards!

Yes, we are all talking about having multiple, personal current accounts in our sole names. I also have double figures of them.

The banks want your business, they want you to do all your banking with them. It is not in their interests to admit you can have many. They will push the switching service which automatically closes down your old account. In reality you can open as many as you like without ever having to switch the old one. Opening them online might help if you don't want to have to discuss it with bank staff.

I have mine for the various incentives. 3% interest on max £3,000 here, as you say access to a 5% savings account there, free travel insurance at another, and so on and so on. If "normal" savings accounts gave interest rates as good as these I wouldn't bother. If these accounts paid interest on unlimited balances I'd only have one. However when they all only pay interest on small pots, I have lots of those small pots. I'm saving for a house deposit so need to keep it all working hard for me!

As for the state of my wallet - yes, I have a stack of debit cards but they live in the safe at home*. I only actually carry the two for my "working" sole and joint accounts. I don't request cheque books - these days most banks ask if you want one rather than sending them by default. Most of my accounts are set to paperless but I admit the poor postie probably does wonder why I have so many letters from financial institutions especially when there's a wave of them all changing some minor element of their T&Cs.

Despite all this I have been "loyal" to my main sole current account for 34 years :rotfl:

* Don't cut up the debit cards - if you want to switch the account later you'll need it so would have to waste time ordering another and might miss a deal.
  • Mogley
    Mogley Posts: 250 Forumite
    Options
    Is there one or two banks you can recommend for this purpose.
    I used Barclays to start as they have not had any switching offers. I opened online as a new customer. I remember I had no issues with the process. It took me 13 days to open the account and complete my first current account switch purely for the incentive (to Halifax at the time).
    Of course I use online banking with the Nationwide so setting up a couple of of secondary current accounts and moving money into them online in order to fulfil the requirements of the accounts in order to get the switching deal and/or the linked savings accounts will be no problem.
    Both my OH and I have nationwide flexdirect accounts managed online and opened a flex account each ready for any new switching bonus. These flex accounts are being switched to Natwest this month.
    You should pay attention to the needs of the moment - otherwise there is no future. But to ignore the future is foolish - living solely for the moment leaves nothing for when the next moment arrives.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,210 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    As others have said, all of mine are sole personal current accounts. I accept that I'm probably at the upper end of the 'how many accounts' spectrum:o

I've opened most of them over several years for the interest they offer, or access to regular savers. A few have been switched for a cash incentive but I've never actually opened a 'donor' account for this purpose.

I don't ask for a chequebook so just have one for my main account which I've held for over 40 years. Debit cards are kept safe at home.

I'm retired and have both the time and inclination for this 'game' though it is becoming less rewarding.

It is common sense to have at least 2 current accounts with separate banking groups, and obviously if you can maximise the interest/cashback/switch incentive, so much the better.

Good luck and come back if you have any specific queries.
  • John_L_M
    John_L_M Posts: 19 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 January 2018 at 12:07PM
    Options
    Thank you again to everyone who got back to me, you have all been very helpful.:beer:
    Please consider this thread closed, I have turned off email notification for new posts & unsubscribed.
    Thanks again!:money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport