Can costs relating to internment of ashes be claimed?

Hi

My father died in April of this year and wished for his ashes to be buried with his parents. The cemetery is in the North on England (we are near London) there will be 7 of us travelling up and I wondered whether the cost of hiring a car and petrol costs can be claimed from the estate so the burden doesn't fall on the person hiring/driving. (These costs are about £400)

5 of us have agreed to share the costs, one has learning difficulties and can't contribute and the other we find difficult to approach to ask to share the cost but the expectation is they will be travelling with us.

If we can claim the cost back from the estate that would be much easier as that way effectively everyone has contributed as the value of the estate for beneficiaries is reduced.

Thanks
:)
February 2022

Mortgage £152523 13 years 10 months remaining
Spanish Mortgage £17692 8 years 9 months remaining

Comments

• I was able to cover the cost of interment (not internment - that means something completely different!) of ashes for my mother. The funeral director just added it to the other fees and it was paid out of the estate before probate. I don't see why travel costs can't be included.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    edited 13 September 2017 at 11:29AM
    there are two things to consider, when deducting expenses from an estate.

Are they acceptable to HMRC to reduce any IHT.

Will the residual beneficiaries be happy with them as ultimately they are the ones paying..
  • kara_p_uk wrote: »
    Hi

My father died in April of this year and wished for his ashes to be buried with his parents. The cemetery is in the North on England (we are near London) there will be 7 of us travelling up and I wondered whether the cost of hiring a car and petrol costs can be claimed from the estate so the burden doesn't fall on the person hiring/driving. (These costs are about £400)

5 of us have agreed to share the costs, one has learning difficulties and can't contribute and the other we find difficult to approach to ask to share the cost but the expectation is they will be travelling with us.

If we can claim the cost back from the estate that would be much easier as that way effectively everyone has contributed as the value of the estate for beneficiaries is reduced.

Thanks
    :)
    This is not a legitimate expense for the estate to bear. The actual costs charged by graveyard to inter the ashes would be legitimate.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    kara_p_uk wrote: »
    The cemetery is in the North on England (we are near London) there will be 7 of us travelling up and I wondered whether the cost of hiring a car and petrol costs can be claimed from the estate so the burden doesn't fall on the person hiring/driving. (These costs are about £400)

Why not ask a clear question - are you going to join us in hiring a van (£x upfront, please) or make your own way up north?
  • there are two things to consider, when deducting expenses from an estate.

Are they acceptable to HMRC to reduce any IHT.

Will the residual beneficiaries be happy with them as ultimately they are the ones paying..
    Travelling expenses for those attending the funeral would not be legitimate to HMR&C nor should the residuary beneficiaries be expected to pay.
  • Travelling expenses for those attending the funeral would not be legitimate to HMR&C nor should the residuary beneficiaries be expected to pay.

All the beneficiaries will be travelling and we have already paid to attend the funeral this is to bury my father's ashes not the funeral.

As an aside, are funeral cars carrying family to the funeral not a legitimate expense then?
    February 2022

• Mojisola wrote: »
    Why not ask a clear question - are you going to join us in hiring a van (£x upfront, please) or make your own way up north?

Believe me if it were that easy I would. x
    February 2022

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,066
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    All the beneficiaries will be travelling and we have already paid to attend the funeral this is to bury my father's ashes not the funeral.

As an aside, are funeral cars carrying family to the funeral not a legitimate expense then?

Funeral cars that are used as part of the ceremony are fine, but that's usually just a short drive from the deceased's home/hospital to the ceremony. What could be questioned is paying for the relatives' travel costs to get to the fiuneral.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Believe me if it were that easy I would. x

Put it in writing?

Usually if you offer someone two options, they will chose one.

If you ask a more open question like 'Will you share the costs of hiring the vehicle?", they have the option of saying no.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure