Melted Ceramic Hob

Options
AndrewM1982
AndrewM1982 Posts: 5 Forumite
HI all, first time poster and not sure I'm in the right section, please direct elsewhere if need be.

I need some help please.

We rent an apartment, the cooker was supplied as you'd expect. It is a 5 ceramic hob top with double oven.

The other day, my partner put an oven tray provided with the oven on the ceramic hob to heat some meat juices. This is seemingly a pretty common practice according to our research.

However somehow the tray and hob managed to melt themselves together. I have never heard of this happening, have never had an issue like it before.

Our landlord says we were careless and not using it as it should be used, and therefore should pay for repairs or replacement, however as far as we're concerned this is a faulty appliance.
There is no way a ceramic hob should be able to melt, they are heat tested at temperatures far higher than they are able to produce. the manufacturer has also claimed the trays are tested at heats far higher too.

There is nothing in the manual that advises against what we did, despite some really obvious things not to do, like do not touch the hobs when they are hot. We're unable to find anything regarding the tray, other than the fact it is recommended and supplied with the oven.

Obviously we want to do anything we can to not pay for this as we don't feel we are liable and culpable. Other than the fact we don't want to pay, there is also the issue that when this became fused together we had to detach the tray from the hob which caused glass to fly up at my partners face. This is really quite alarming, and of course very dangerous. This coupled with the issue that who knows what could have happened if it had been left any longer, surely we should be able to claim something against supplier or manufacturer?

What can we do in this situation, whose responsibility is it, ours or the landlords? Do we have a leg to stand on or should we just find the cheapest way to replace/repair and do so?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As you noted, exceedingly high temperatures are needed to melt glass, and I am pretty sure that didn't happen.

Could it be that some of these meat juices somehow came between the metal tray and the hob surface and burnt such that the two things became stuck to each other?

I suggest that using force was perhaps not the best way to separate the things, and it was this wrong approach that led to the damage to the hob surface - the glass 'flying up'.
  • brightontraveller
    brightontraveller Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    edited 3 August 2017 at 11:41PM
    Options
    If a instruction manual was supplied its users fault/ responsibility ? If no manual was supplied it’s owners/landlords responsibility...
    Some try it on but it doesn’t stand up in court the problem for many arguing ends up you becoming homeless Not renewing contract ?

Try and rent from professional landlords that don’t fit fridges , freezers cookers etc not the ones that do ? (elderly with one two properties or worse still the pension / nest egg ones )

Its not unknown for enamel (which requires much lower temperatures 200/300C) becoming fused as opposed to hob surface itself 2000 /3000/C melting /fusion
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Seems very odd. Most oven trays are made of thin steel (you can find out with an old fridge magnet if it is). But if it's coated with something, that might not be designed to withstand the temperature - an electric hob can get a lot hotter than an oven. As for ceramic melting, well that seems even stranger... Photos?
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • AndrewM1982
    Options
    If a instruction manual was supplied its users fault/ responsibility ? If no manual was supplied it’s owners/landlords responsibility...
    Some try it on but it doesn’t stand up in court the problem for many arguing ends up you becoming homeless Not renewing contract ?

Try and rent from professional landlords that don’t fit fridges , freezers cookers etc not the ones that do ? (elderly with one two properties or worse still the pension / nest egg ones )

Its not unknown for enamel (which requires much lower temperatures 200/300C) becoming fused as opposed to hob surface itself 2000 /3000/C melting /fusion

Even if that manual. Which we do have, doesn't mention anything of the sort? No guidance regarding it.
    This is a young landlord with multiple properties.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is the tray still stuck to the hob?
  • AndrewM1982
    Options
    Is the tray still stuck to the hob?

No, once it had cooled down it was easy to remove.
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    Its not what you want to hear but........
    The tray stuck to the ceramic hob for some reason & instead of leaving it to cool down & then remove it you used excessive force.
    This resulted in the ceramic hob shattering.
    Unfortunately I think the cost of replacing it is down to you.
    Sorry but my opinion only.
  • AndrewM1982
    Options
    Its not what you want to hear but........
    The tray stuck to the ceramic hob for some reason & instead of leaving it to cool down & then remove it you used excessive force.
    This resulted in the ceramic hob shattering.
    Unfortunately I think the cost of replacing it is down to you.
    Sorry but my opinion only.

We want to hear the truth and honest opinions regardless of whose side they fall on, so thanks.

Anyway, she did leave it cool down before removing as I said it was easy to remove once it had cooled, but the damage was done. Thankfully she waited or could have had hot melted glass flying up at her instead.
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    If you are halfway competent you could replace the ceramic hob yourself.
    Obviously disconnecting / unplugging the appliance first.
    Get onto Google & see how much the new hob would be.
    Try Youtube for fitting videos.
    It may be that a complete new oven & hob would be a cheaperoption.
  • AndrewM1982
    Options
    If you are halfway competent you could replace the ceramic hob yourself.
    Obviously disconnecting / unplugging the appliance first.
    Get onto Google & see how much the new hob would be.
    Try Youtube for fitting videos.
    It may be that a complete new oven & hob would be a cheaperoption.

Looks like the hobs are connected to the glass rather than sit on the layer underneath, needs qualified electrician to be safe.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure