AMD Ryzen, anyone got one?

Options
Maybe its me just wanting certain information about Ryzen setups that nobody else tests?

Although they appear to be selling out this weekend, checking prices and searching for some motherboards i noticed one store only had the 1800x in stock last night where they had the 1700 and 1700x in stock earlier in the day.

All the reviews are biased on gaming. Not interested in that at all... Not seen a review where they compare the 1600/1600X/1700/1700X in every day tasks and for 3D rendering and cad work.

Similar issue with the motherboards, lots of info on the boards when they have issues but a lack of info after the next BIOS update. I need a board with a bit of space between the RAM and CPU socket. (H100i AIO cooler). My case it modded for the cooler so the pipes will exit the side where the RAM sits. On my current board i can only fill 3 of the 4 slots.

Only need the MB, CPU and RAM. I want the best of the best etc but i want to pay peanuts :)

Are the motherboard specs right?? one said it had a parallel port and serial ports???

help :)
Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The only people who will buy top end AMD kit are gamers, everyone else is on Intel because of the better performance for stuff like CAD and video rendering. So you're only going to get gamer reviews.

If your cooler is preventing you accessing a RAM slot you need to change the cooler.
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 April 2017 at 12:06PM
    Options
    review on anandtech
    checkc it out.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11244/the-amd-ryzen-5-1600x-vs-core-i5-review-twelve-threads-vs-four/6

what do you mean lack of info after bios update???

which website are you looking?
    they are in stock
    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu/#k=33&sort=a7&page=1
  • Cisco001
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    The only people who will buy top end AMD kit are gamers, everyone else is on Intel because of the better performance for stuff like CAD and video rendering. So you're only going to get gamer reviews.

If your cooler is preventing you accessing a RAM slot you need to change the cooler.

wrong!
    amd better for rendering
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah AMD appears to be excellent for the work i plan on doing which is CAD stuff and Blender and Meshmixer etc.

All those extra cores maybe slower per clock cycle so so many of them..

Only gamers but top end kit? Im not a gamer and i want something decent for CAD etc. And this appears to be where the Ryzen shines. Multi-thread CAD and rendering etc. Also idea for Running several VM's. Not seen one review mention running a VM with a Ryzen.

I dont need another cooler, just a new MB where it fits without hindering the RAM slots.

Cisco, thanks for the link. No 1600 in the testing :(

1500X quite a drop behind the 1600X, where does the 1600 come in that?
    1600X to 1700 not so much of a drop. Is it worth the extra?

I was expecting data to be flooding out from every corner, but it just seems to be the same boring gaming related benchmarks with the odd program thrown in. Seem to miss a few CPU's though, like the link from Cisco no 1600.

I think the 8 core 16 thread magnet is sucking me into the 1700 over the 1600 or 1600X.

But will i notice in everyday use?

Thanks.

• Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options

Only gamers but top end kit? Im not a gamer and i want something decent for CAD etc. And this appears to be where the Ryzen shines. Multi-thread CAD and rendering etc. Also idea for Running several VM's. Not seen one review mention running a VM with a Ryzen.

That's correct, it's mostly gamers that will buy high end consumer parts - those running workstation applications like CAD, VM's, 3D modelling etc. will mostly use certified workstation platforms like Intel's Xeon (one of the reason the Intel E series processors are so expensive is because they're basically rebadged Xeons running the workstation rather than consumer chipset).

That said, most Ryzen reviews I've read have had content creation benchmarks and highlighted the fact it's superb for that offering similar performance to Intels higher core count parts but for much less money:

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/245204-amds-ryzen-7-1800x-reviewed-zen-amazing-workstation-chip-1080p-gaming-achilles-heel

In terms of choosing how many cores to go for, I'd check how well optimised the software you're using is. I personally probably wouldn't bother forking out for the eight core part as my hex core machine with hyperthreading almost always has idle cores even on software that's supposedly well optimised for multiple cores.

If my current PC died I'd certainly consider a Ryzen system as a replacement once they've got all the teething issues sorted, there's been various reports of BSODs in Windows 10 and odd performance problems in games.

John
  • Cisco001
    Options
    both 1600 and 1600x are 6 core.
    review online say they are less than 10% difference in performance.

If you do not have cpu heatsink, definitely go for 1600.
    if you reuse h100i, it would up to you to say if the extra worth it.

http://www.techspot.com/article/1381-ryzen-1600x-vs-1600/
  • forgotmyname
    Options
    Choices choices....

R5 1600, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming, Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x 8 GB CL15). Approx £442

or

R7 1700, same board and RAM as above approx £532.

Save £90 going for the R5 but more future proof without having to swap out the CPU in the future? I did think get the slower CPU now and then upgrade, but its likely to cost more than £90 to upgrade for a long time and by them it will allbe obsolete anyway?

Although its more than i intended on spending i think the 1700 would be worth it. Or is the 8c 16t hype sucking me in?

Then the horror of horrors do i upgrade to windows 10.. eek :) tin foil hat time :)

What do you think of my selection? Local shop appear to have it all in stock for collection. Prices seem reasonable also.
    RAM £121.98
    MB £99.99
    CPU R5 1600 £219.99, R7 1700 £309.99

Opinions please...

Thanks

• Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you go with Ryzen, you'll need to go to Windows 10 for official support and to ensure the processor is working properly as there's been a few issues with threads and scheduling. There may be hacks to work around the restrictions but if you're wanting to get the proper performance out of the processor you're going to need to go to Windows 10.

John
  • Cisco001
    Options
    Your local shop seems expensive?

What speed is your RAM?
    do you need all the expansion slot from ATX motherboard? Would cheaper matx ok?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor (£287.94 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£87.60 @ Aria PC)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£123.98 @ Aria PC)
    Total: £499.52
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-25 12:21 BST+0100
  • forgotmyname
    Options
    RAM was 3000 not 3200. 3200 locally is £131. So quite a difference.

No Gaming 3 ATX board on the Aria site. The MATX board is £1.30 dearer locally. The extra PCi slots could be useful for SSDs in the future, more fan headers also. Seems to be fairly stable with a 2933mhz RAM setting. Although this appears to change daily and depends on which site your reading.

Some say its stable and some have said its the worst board they have ever had. The MATX seems have had very few BIOS updates. Is that because it didnt need them?

Going to be a risk with such a new platform. If they offer an i7 setup i maybe persuaded :)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure