Flight delay compensation, US and Canadian Airlines

Comments

• cart583
    cart583 Posts: 49 Forumite
    thankyou. where could i find the name and address for my letter please and how do i find out how many miles it is?
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Transat - Google. Miles do not matter kms do so Google Great Circle.
  • mrs2fat
    mrs2fat Posts: 177 Forumite
    edited 3 March 2014 at 7:42AM
    cart583 wrote: »
    hi, our party of 4 were due to fly last sunday 23rd feb with air transat from gatwick to toronto due to depart 0745. when we went to check in we were told that there was a long delay and we would prob fly around 8.30pm. later we had updates that it was the flight coming in from calgary that was to be used for our flight that had the problem and eventually it landed at gatwick around 9.25pm. so we didnt take off till around 10.45pm. this makes it around a 15 hour delay. is it worth claiming and how do we get the ball rolling? thanks

The mrs was on the same flight and she's not due back till later today. We are definatly applying as it should be around £500 compo.

The only plus was she didn't miss the mens Olympic hockey final which she would of done if the flight was on time
    my 'u' btton is broked :rolleyes:
  • cart583
    cart583 Posts: 49 Forumite
    yeah we are definitely going to claim. ours was only a 5 day trip which was a birthday present to me so we missed a day of our holiday.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Another "operational reasons" from KL for Delta - telling me as CVG is out-side the EU and I was less than three hours late at CVG I'm not covered but here's £100 voucher. I've replied pointing out CVG wasn't my final ticketed destination and I was 6 hours late at my eventual destination and quoting the applicable cases. I can see why people lose the will to live when claiming -KL CS appear to run at the speed of a racing snail.

Ho-hum back to waiting
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • Al1x
    Al1x Posts: 1,653 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    duchy wrote: »
    Another "operational reasons" from KL for Delta - telling me as CVG is out-side the EU and I was less than three hours late at CVG I'm not covered but here's £100 voucher. I've replied pointing out CVG wasn't my final ticketed destination and I was 6 hours late at my eventual destination and quoting the applicable cases. I can see why people lose the will to live when claiming -KL CS appear to run at the speed of a racing snail.

Ho-hum back to waiting

Delta/KLM are saying the exact thing to me.

I told them I didn't want vouchers as they are no good and they sent this back. (we were offered £100 each)

"I write in response to your latest email to our Customer Care Department dated 1 March 2014, where you expressed again your dissatisfaction with our company's final position with regard to your case.
    Having once again reviewed you request, I regret that I cannot add anything further to my previous e-mails as all the details you brought to my attention had already been taken into account. I appreciate your comments and sympathise with the obvious disappointment and inconvenience you experienced during your journey; however, I would like to assure you that your claim has been dealt with in accordance with the current Air Transportation legislation and our Company's internal commercial policy, and I now consider the matter closed.
    In case you wish to pursue this claim further I suggest you contact CAA."

I've filled out the form on CAA's website so hopefully I'll hear back soon.
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Al1x wrote: »
    In case you wish to pursue this claim further I suggest you contact CAA."

You have to ask yourself why the airline would point you in the direction of someone who would help you. Safe to assume therefore, as Centipede100 says, that they know the CAA will do nothing quickly and may well favour the airline, notwithstanding the very clear law.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    To those claiming from KLM

I waited and waited to hear back from customer services, in the end i took to facebook and had a resolution within 24 hours!
  • Al1x
    Big mistake.

a) you are unlikely to hear soon
    b) even when you do it is unlikely that the CAA will be supportive of your case. Even if they are, there is no compulsion on the airline to follow the CAA's advice.

My advice - issue a DIY legal claim yourself or hand it over to a NWNF firm.

If in doubt, read the FAQs on page 1 of this thread.

I would like to take them to court over it but I want something official in black and white that says that we are right in claiming.

do NWNF firms charge a lot?
  • Al1x
    edited 6 March 2014 at 8:57PM
    And how would you react if the "something official in black and white" stated that you had no case....!!!

Wouldn't that save me taking them to court is there is no chance of us winning?

Guessing court fees aren't cheap either!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback