PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Curd cheese substitute

Options
2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My DD makes a beautiful cheese cake using philly cheese and I can highly reccommend it.She drizzles melted chocolate over the top when its set and is her contribution at Christmas to her sisters buffet in the evening .In fact she has to make two one for the buffet and another just for her sisters family for the next day.She laso uses soft melted honey when she does the digestive biscuit base
  • Evil_Olive
    Evil_Olive Posts: 322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always use a couple of tubs of value/smartprice brand cream cheese. Some delicatessans and supermarket cheese counters sell cream cheese by weight which can be cheaper. Don't bother with branded (eg Philadelphia) as once it's in the cheesecake you can't tell the difference.
    Don’t try to keep up with the Jones’s. They are broke!
  • dollywops
    dollywops Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Nothing to do with curd cheese, but boy did I have a problem trying to buy plain fromage frais today. The assistant in Tesco Watford told me he had not seen it on the shelf for a few days now. Morrisons in Watford did not stock it. I then went to Waitrose in Ricknansworth, where I found some. I still had Asda and Sainsbury in Watford as a last resort!

The cheesecake is currently cooling and hopefully, setting, in the oven. It is a few years since I have made this cake.
  • Izzybelle
    Options
    Why can't they put an alternative to curd cheese like cream cheese I asked at morrisons and got a Wat is it you want curd cheese we don't sell it
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ianna wrote: »
    Howdy all. I want to make this cheesecake from her majesty Delia's collection but I can't get curd cheese anywhere. Nowhere sells it I've tried all the big stores.
    My local Waitrose nearly always has some, loose on the deli counter. Well, not loose, served out of a box...
  • FrugalinShropshire
    Options
    I've only ever used cream cheese for my cheesecakes. I remember curd cheese years ago and I thought that's what quark is now?
    Now Mrs FrugalinShropshire:T Proud to be mortgage and debt free:j
  • AGW
    AGW Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hi. I believe curd cheese is fromage frais, which you can buy in Tesco and Waitrose.
  • Jan33
    Jan33 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I have tried Quark and it didn't work. Sainsburys and Waitrose do not stock curd cheese any more. I was advised to go to a Jewish deli and they have curd cheese all year round. Success. Jan
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure