Aqualisa Electric Shower Pressure Relief Device

Options
Hi there,

I've recently moved into a flat and the shower we have installed is an Aqualisa Electric Shower, recently it has started to push water from the back of the unit as well as the shower head itself.

I have been told by customer service that it's the pressure relief valve and that it can be "pushed back in place" to make it work again properly.

Has anyone had the same problem and know how to fix it??

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• rpurdon
    Options
    1. Turn off electrical supply to shower at the main fuse board.
    2. Unscrew the hose from the bottom of the shower unit.
    3. Remove the casing screws (2 on top of cover, 1 under the cover).
    4. Set the temperature control dial to the mid-blend position and remove, this will ensure ease of re-fitting the dial.
    5. Remove the front cover, by tilting the top of the cover towards you and sliding it downwards.
    6. On the left hand side you will see the white plastic outlet pipe. (This is where your hose screws onto).
    7. Using a crosshead (Phillips head) screwdriver- remove the small fixing screw that secures the outlet pipe to the black heater tank and twist the outlet pipe whilst pulling it gently down.
    8. Carefully remove the outlet pipe from the heater canister.
    9. Approximately 1 inch above the threaded end of the outlet pipe is a small tee-junction which should contain a small silicone ball, push the white cap covering this ball upwards with a screw driver to gain access to the ball.
    10. Using a blunt instrument (back end of a biro pen for example), push the silicone ball back into the housing until it locates firmly. (Note: the ball will not push all the way through into the outlet pipe).
    11. Re-fit the outlet pipe ensuring that the tee-junction is facing the wall and that the o-ring seals correctly into the heater canister.
    12. Re-fit the front cover, control dial and hose.
    13. Remove the shower head from the hose and point the open end into the shower tray or bath.
    14. Turn the shower unit on and ensure that water is not escaping from the PRD. If this is fine, reattach the shower head and test again.
    15. Re-instate the electrical supply.
  • Ellaroo
    Ellaroo Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Saved us buying a new shower today, thanks for your helpful post and easy instructions. This was exactly what was wrong with our shower and we fixed in within 5 minutes after reading your post. Many thanks.
  • wwmac
    wwmac Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Fantastic! Thanks for the great post with very helpful instruction - it has worked perfeclty and now my shower is back and running :j
  • Lwio
    Options
    Wow, Nice post. I thought I was into a new shower.
    One extra bit of advice, I replaced the worn out original hose with a cheaper one, that's what caused the problem in the first place, you need the proper specced hose.
    Thanks again.
  • dan_sam
    Options
    rpurdon wrote: »
    4. Set the temperature control dial to the mid-blend position and remove, this will ensure ease of re-fitting the dial.
    5. Remove the front cover, by tilting the top of the cover towards you and sliding it downwards.
    6. On the left hand side you will see the white plastic outlet pipe. (This is where your hose screws onto).
    7. Using a crosshead (Phillips head) screwdriver- remove the small fixing screw that secures the outlet pipe to the black heater tank and twist the outlet pipe whilst pulling it gently down.
    9. Approximately 1 inch above the threaded end of the outlet pipe is a small tee-junction which should contain a small silicone ball, push the white cap covering this ball upwards with a screw driver to gain access to the ball.
    10. Using a blunt instrument (back end of a biro pen for example), push the silicone ball back into the housing until it locates firmly. (Note: the ball will not push all the way through into the outlet pipe).
    11. Re-fit the outlet pipe ensuring that the tee-junction is facing the wall and that the o-ring seals correctly into the heater canister.
    13. Remove the shower head from the hose and point the open end into the shower tray or bath.
    14. Turn the shower unit on and ensure that water is not escaping from the PRD. If this is fine, reattach the shower head and test again.
    thankyou so much for this detailed how to fix the problem we had several over the phone conversations with plumbers re this we outlined the problem and they all sed new shower needed probably
    in the end we printed it off and got a local chap who foloowed the instructions to the letter and fixed the problem immedialtey he only charged us £20
    i didnt attempt the job myself but you saved us lots of money thankyou
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    dan_sam wrote: »
    thankyou so much for this detailed how to fix the problem we had several over the phone conversations with plumbers re this we outlined the problem and they all sed new shower needed probably
    in the end we printed it off and got a local chap who foloowed the instructions to the letter and fixed the problem immedialtey he only charged us £20
    i didnt attempt the job myself but you saved us lots of money thankyou

very good price as the part prob cost him £12
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • tightwad1988
    Options
    Thank you so much rpurdon we have just fixed this exact problem, 2nd time this has happened since we bought the aqualisa 10 months ago & got it fixed under warranty but they advised me they wouldnt keep fixing it for us! bad design i say, as our water pressure isnt all that high.
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    it's not to do with the incoming water pressure it's normally a restriction in the outlet pipe or shower head, try dis-scaleing the showerhead, leave it overnight soaking in white vinegar
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • bebb88
    Options
    Thankyou very much for this instruction on the prd saved me a lot of money fantastic!
  • aaj123
    aaj123 Posts: 518 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    rpurdon wrote: »

Fantastic instructions which worked like a charm for me! I had almost mentally prepared myself for a £230 fixed price repair by the Aqualisa engineer, but that was before I chanced upon these instructions and decided to give it a go myself. Took all of 20 minutes to fix the issue and really all it took was to follow these instructions to the letter!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure