PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017

Comments

• Thank you so much silvasava, I'll have a look in the morning (if I can find the strength to pull the fridge out - depends whether it's a"feeling my age" day!
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • Athome1 - thanks also for your fridge suggestion. I'll empty it out and turn it off and see how we get on!
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • Athome1
    Athome1 Posts: 345
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Easier than pulling it out!! :p
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Well today's Make do and Minimise are:

Dinner tonight from freezer - HM Chicken & Mushroom pie and pancakes from a couple of mixes brought back from Austria - a bit past their use by date but should be OK!
    A suction hook from the bathroom binned 'cos it falls off at regular intervals and is a nuisance.

Havn't got a mend at the moment but I'm sure something will surface!!

Winchelsea - empty it,pull out & check the pipe - if OK switch off :)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Silvasava I re-stuck my bathroom hook with tile cement last week (it was one of those with a sticky backed bit that really doesn't work very well) and it set solid, and is fine now :):):)

I am getting paranoid about making do and mending now :):):)
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Doesn't it give you real satisfaction to mend an item and get it back into a usable or decent state. There is a sense of achievement that is sometimes out of all proportion to the job done but my does it feel good to DIY and do it well!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,059
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Make do: LO roast veg for breakfast
    Mend: Me - rehab exercises done and increased by one
    Minimise: Bins emptied, recycling sorted and wheelie bin out for emptying tomorrow
  • Frudd
    Frudd Posts: 53 Forumite
    Make do: Another loaf in the BM (using the reduced flour my OH got off Donny Market last year), Leftover bolognase turned into canneloni made with pancakes.
    Minimise: Tidied some more of the Room of Doom = more recycling, less clutter and less peril. Minimised the laundry pile.
    Mend: started making the new handle for the small sledge hammer I found at the tip.

Hopefully tomorrow I will do the job I missed today which was take £50ish of change from the penny jars to the bank. Might rough out a handle to replace the one on the axe that I broke splitting the wood to make the new handle for the hammer.....
    £0/£2017 extra income :(
    £1070 credit card
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,188
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Mended (finally) the hem on a tunic that has been waiting for around 5 months.
    Minimised some leftovers & eggs into fritatta for tonight's tea & 2 lunches for DH.
    Made do with the last 3/4 glass of wine from a bottle opened for the rugby on Sunday!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • I'm minimising some of my felt stash making mouse ears for world book day, four adults in our class need them-we are Roald Dahl witches in transition stage of becoming mice.
    Made veggie lasagne for tea with some ys mozzarella I got for 10p a piece.
    Did a mega pancake making session at school do the whole class had them

Need to finish the blanket I'm knitting the babe its for put an early appearance in the early hours.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure