Advice on online website and necessary insurances

Hi

I am in creating a website that have user name and password and facilitate users sharing information with each other.

The info which the user is sharing - will be passed on to other user , only if agrees and understands.It will not be stored.

I may need to register for Data protection.

Can you please advice what all necessary bodies I should register and insurances I should have.
Also any web link should be useful.

Do I need to register the website with copyright body ??
If I accept subscription payments (no financial advice), do i need to register with a body.
What type of insurance I should take.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Also anyone aware of grants/ funding I could get.

Thanks and Regards

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    abeezar wrote: »
    Hi

I am in creating a website that have user name and password and facilitate users sharing information with each other.

The info which the user is sharing - will be passed on to other user , only if agrees and understands.It will not be stored.

I may need to register for Data protection.

Can you please advice what all necessary bodies I should register and insurances I should have.
    Also any web link should be useful.

Do I need to register the website with copyright body ??
    If I accept subscription payments (no financial advice), do i need to register with a body.
    What type of insurance I should take.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Also anyone aware of grants/ funding I could get.

Thanks and Regards
    May? MAY? - seriously go and do more research. Your entire website is fundamentally governed by data protection laws. It's not registering that's the issue (ICO by the way), it's ensuring that controls are in place.
  • MrJones1
    MrJones1 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Two most important things.

1. Privacy policy - this applies if your website collects information. For example if you have a enquiry form. In the policy you explain what your business does with the data. You also explain if it conforms to The Data Protection Act. Moreover, you will explain what cookies you have on the website and what they do.
    2. Have a widget which require consent to leave cookies on the user's computer/tablet/phone.
  • MrJones1
    MrJones1 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Regarding copyright, you should have a copyright notice in the footer. Many websites have these as they clarify that they own the content. If your copyright is breached you must take legal measures. Sometimes it's enough with a "cease and desist" letter from a lawyer or solicitor. As far as I know, there is no "copyright body" which will enforce your rights when your copyright is breached by another party.
  • abeezar
    abeezar Posts: 83
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for the comments on the post.

Regarding data sharing type of data to be shared could be Name/email id and specific data ( not any financial related stuff).

Again I do not intend to collect and store information - but a Privacy Policy outlining what is done with the data will be made available.

Cookie and Widget has been considered already.

As advised , I can do more reading on data protection to be within the laws.

Sorry to ask again : any specific info on grants ( UK/EU) and eligibility would be helpful.

Thanks and
    Regards
  • rhysadams
    rhysadams Posts: 303
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I would recommending joining the Federation of Small Businesses, its about £150 per annum. However, they put me on touch with their legal team who covered all aspects of setting up a business online.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure