PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Fencing off parking on private road?

Comments

• Good picture.

Seems like anybody can park where they like. Fair enough really. Who cares if you or they are on your side or the other side?

If you wanted a house with a designated parking spot you should have bought one.
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Get your car parked where you want it and then don't move it ever again.
  • Okydoky25
    Okydoky25 Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I bought a flat in a new estate which roads had not yet been adopted however I had my parking space highlighted in my deeds and when I started getting trouble with neighbours who rented next door parking in my space I got the deeds to their house sent it to the LA and threatened legal action..it worked.
  • Does the Land Registry plan have the red line boundary for your title including any part of the road?

If it does do you have a right of access over other people's strips and they have a right of access over your strip? Does it say that?

If it does then they can't park on your strip but only have access over it and you mustn't park in such a way as to impede such access.

If you do not own the strip in front of your house then you can do a SIM search at the Land Registry to see if the road is registered, and fi so the tile number(s) - if it is you can get copies and find out who owns it. Very likely it won't be registered.

Another possible situation is that whilst you don't own any of the road the Land Registry entries do give a right of access over it - this is access - not a right to park on it so then both you and the neighbour up the road (assuming there is a similar right in their LR entries) are in the same position - neither has any better right to park than the other.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,147 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Some time back I had a parking dispute with a "neighbour", and they kept blocking me in; I told them that if they didn't stop doing it I would buy an old banger and park it there permanently. They were also in the habit of propping screws & nails under my tyres, but I got into the habit of checking the car every time I used it.
  • mummybaker
    mummybaker Posts: 108 Forumite
    Is there space at all to have a small driveway put in and dropped curb? if there was even if it was big enough for a smart car it would help. They then legally cannot block your rights of access or whatever its called. I know this as I once got towed when I forgot I'd parked over a friends neighbours drive by about 5 inches and then had a drink so left the car over night. I came back to find they'd called the police and had it towed despite it being a double drive and them having a micra. Very petty but it was the law and cost me £150 to get my car back.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    It's a private road - buy an old banger that still looks reasonably ok, declare it SORN (so no road tax, mot or insurance required) and park it outside your house where this person parks.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • WallyBird
    WallyBird Posts: 236 Forumite
    It's a private road - buy an old banger that still looks reasonably ok, declare it SORN (so no road tax, mot or insurance required) and park it outside your house where this person parks.

Not sure how this would help - I assume the OP wants to be able to park near own house, so they can take the baby and shopping in? This would just reduce the number of places and annoy people more.

However, the OP is quite lucky to have so many spaces for the number of cars - I have enough room for at least one big car on the road outside my house (maybe two small ones) but it is always full with people from other houses/roads/B&Bs. Nothing I can do, except not use the car! On our road, we do try not to block "other people's" spaces, unless there is no option. But I guess the situation with your neighbour has gone beyond that, so you will just have to put up with it and be glad you don't end up having to park quarter of a mile away, up a steep hill, and across a main road! (That is what can happen round our way.)

I do understand that it is frustrating not to to have your own spot, I feel the same, but it really does not sound too bad as long as there are always enough places on the road. Maintaining good relationships with your neighbours is more important than parking on "your" side of the road.
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    mummybaker wrote: »
    Is there space at all to have a small driveway put in and dropped curb? if there was even if it was big enough for a smart car it would help. They then legally cannot block your rights of access or whatever its called. I know this as I once got towed when I forgot I'd parked over a friends neighbours drive by about 5 inches and then had a drink so left the car over night. I came back to find they'd called the police and had it towed despite it being a double drive and them having a micra. Very petty but it was the law and cost me £150 to get my car back.

I am always having to but up with selfish parking like that. It should have been £1500:D

Seriously it may have been petty in the situation you described but its amazing how many people think that being slightly over the drive is OK (however difficult it makes turning out) or say "well you only had to ask me to move" or "sorry but we were only there for 5 minutes".
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 July 2012 at 8:56PM
    There is really not enough information to answer the OP's question. Looking at the plan it seems unlikely that the space outside number 11 is allocated to the owner.

I once owned a house that had a shared private vehicular access to allow access to the garages at the rear of the houses. There were always disputes over inconsiderate parking on the area outside the garages but the deeds did guarantee access to the garages and rear gate via this shared area of land. My conveyancing solicitor explained that the land was probably still owned by the builder who had erected the houses, but was of no commercial value to the builder since he had granted free rights of access over it in perpetuity. He said that the usual outcome in this situation was that when access route needed to be repaired the then residents would have to adopt the land and repair it themselves at which point the original builder would almost certainly sell them the land for a nominal sum to avoid the hassel or accident claims. The OP may have a similar situation.

I think the big issue is whether the owners of the houses without the road in front of their houses have any right of access to the private road. Were all the houses built at the same time by the same builder?
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure