Lulabelle's MFW Diary

Options

Comments

• CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My two have been at football club all week aswell and have loved it. Missed having them around though!

I remember de-cluttering some of dd toys and her being distraught at seeing a toy in the charity bag announcing it was her favourite toy! She had never bothered with it! Lesson learned that day.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • lulabelle1
    lulabelle1 Posts: 2,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    CathT wrote: »
    My two have been at football club all week aswell and have loved it. Missed having them around though!

I remember de-cluttering some of dd toys and her being distraught at seeing a toy in the charity bag announcing it was her favourite toy! She had never bothered with it! Lesson learned that day.

Yes, sometimes better to be sneaky and do it whilst they aren't around - thats definitely my plan.

DS2 has loved football club too which is a surprise as he's not really a big football fan. He's been coming home exhausted and even had an early night last night, result!
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Monday again....

Lots more decluttering over the weekend and managed to get through DS2's Expedit drawers and wardrobe this morning. Have dropped another 4 large bags at the charity shop and the wheelie bins are filling up nicely. Thank goodness its recycling day tomorrow.

Really can't wait to start on the loft.....

Damned interest rates - mortgage is tipping the 100k mark again. It'll be over it again by the first of the month :(

Spent my lunch break today having DH and DS1 poke fun at me about slowly emptying the house. They don't share the same decluttering enjoyment as me and have no idea why I get such a thrill out of getting rid of stuff that is no longer used/needed.

August seems to be spendy keeping everyone amused. And that's without me doing any shopping!
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Lovely unexpected sunny day today.... been fairly lazy as we had a full on long fab day out yesterday, so we're all a bit tired, including the Dog who slept in until 08:45!

Nipped out to return school shoes to Next, ordered two pairs, kept one. Just need to get DS2 some school shoes now - waiting until the last minute though as he seems to grow daily at the moment.

Rejigged my wardrobe earlier... for the first time since we bought our own home I have all of my clothes & shoes in my own wardrobe. Until recently they were spread across my own wardrobe, DS1's, DS2's, huge amounts under DS1's bed. After a LOT of charity runs, donations to family/friends and a little bit of eBaying it's all gone. Feeling really quite happy withe myself.

My fave store launched it's new season on Tuesday along with a 10% discount code. I'd usually have ordered a few things... instead I've just added them to my wish list. I looked at my wish list again earlier and removed half of the things I'd added. I'll see how long I can last before ordering.

We've booked a week away in Cornwall for next May half term. Booked early as it gets booked up fairly quickly. It was recommended to me by a friend, reasonably priced and looks really lovely. So, deposit paid earlier.

I'm avidly reading loads of blogs, websites etc etc about minimalism and focusing on whats important and I'm really enjoyment. This is what got me kick started with the whole decluttering. It feels fab and is very therapeutic.
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Only a week left of school holidays...

DS2's birthday last week - did Legoland with Tesco vouchers and cash - worked out just under £100 for the 4 of us with parking. Don't think we'll ever go again. It's a nice enough place but it it gets far too busy and the rides are mediocre at best and not really worth q'ing for. We hardly did any.

Had two teeth out last Monday (overcrowding) and had my braces fitted last Thursday. Haven't really eaten all that much ever since as it's uncomfortable and virtually impossible. So, I imagine we'll save some money on eating out for the next year!

pooch is still growing - this some of Georges Marvellous Medicine has been mixed in with her food.

Boys all sorted for back to school - nothing left to buy. Phew.

Mortgage is well over the 100k mark again thanks to the daily interest charges, but after September 1sts payment we should see it stay under the 100 mark.

Haven't bought anything apart from what the boys needed for school. Quite a remarkable break through really, but then again, with the dentist bills, spending & buying non essentials isn't really an option.
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Wow - mid Sept already and it's feeling very Autumnal.

I transferred some saves to the mortgage, so it's now down to £95,500. And, I've slightly increased my SIPP contributions.

It's been a bit tight this month with the dentist bills... but, I'm nearly there. Just one filling left to replace, the brace is on - so it'll "just" be the wire changes that I need to pay for every 6/8 weeks or so.

We made a final decision on the wedding in Mexico next year and decided we wont be going. We looked at various options but it was just working out to be too expensive. We had a big holiday at Easter and quite simply can't afford to do another next year... so we've booked a week in Cornwall for Aug next year and the boys are really looking forward to it. We'll take the dog with us too which will be great.

Amazingly enough I've still not bought any new clothes etc.... BUT I did buy some skincare products. I was recommended a newish brand called "The Ordinary" - their ingredients appear to be top notch but due to their unique approach, the prices are fairly rock bottom - especially when comparing their products to premium beauty brands. I've been pleased with the products I've tried in the last few weeks and the pricing is amazing, I'd recommend if people are looking for quality skincare ingredients without the price tag. Word of warning, you may need a chemistry degree to understand what you're buying!

With the Autumnal weather I've started switching my wardrobe over... so, Summer stuff has mostly been packed in to the plastic box in my wardrobe and some warmer jumpers have made an appearance in their place.

I've looked through and listed everything I've got and tbh I think I'm pretty much covered for the Autumn/Winter seasons - the only things I'm possibly considering adding are a Grey Cardigan and a casual black loose fit jumper - both of which would be very versatile and see a lot of wear over the next 6 months. I'd been tempted by a rather gorgeous "custard" yellow jumper and whilst I think I'd love it - I'm not convinced as to how versatile it would be?

Menu planning continues along with the weekly Aldi/Tesco shop. I don't remember the last time we had a takeaway, but I think we might need to have one soon as a treat - our fave is Thai, yummy.
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    You are so well organised, well done on sorting out the wardrobe. You have inspired me to go through mine. And well done on saying no to Mexico. It is easy to feel you have to do things like this to please friends, but it is their decision to marry abroad and if it doesn't work for you, you shouldn't feel obliged.
    And well done on decluttering. I love it too and regularly go around the house and fill a bag, even when it looks as if there is nothing left to throw! It does also make you very resistant to buying more stuff.
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    You are so well organised, well done on sorting out the wardrobe. You have inspired me to go through mine. And well done on saying no to Mexico. It is easy to feel you have to do things like this to please friends, but it is their decision to marry abroad and if it doesn't work for you, you shouldn't feel obliged.
    And well done on decluttering. I love it too and regularly go around the house and fill a bag, even when it looks as if there is nothing left to throw! It does also make you very resistant to buying more stuff.

Thank you! Did you get started with your wardrobe sort out?
    Decluttering is fab isn't it... still haven't worked up the courage to start on the loft - mainly because I know I just want to bin everything and I need to get DH on side so that he'll take care of the tip run.
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Happy Monday!

7 months since last post, not sure where that time went.

Puppy is now a big dog. Can't imagine life/the home without her now...

o/s Mortgage is around £89k. Still planning to pay it off fairly slow and steady over the next 7 years before the 10 year fix runs out. Aiming to balance it out whilst still maintaining ISA & Sipp contributions too.

Braces have now been on for 8 months and seem to be coming on nicely. Some days they drive me nuts and I can't wait to have them removed.

Still doing a bit of decluttering here and there - this can be difficult when you're the only person in the house who doesn't like mess and pointless "stuff".

Nearly succumbed to the temptation to replace my car next week. Thankfully realised what a twit I was being. It doesn't fit with any of our financial/life goals, a new car is literally at the bottom of the list, with saving for future, mortgage OP's and family holidays right at the top. Seriously, no idea what I was thinking. Gives self slap.

Mexico wedding wasn't booked in the end, our friends are now getting married in the UK instead, phew :)

Ha, just saw my last post about working up the courage to start on the loft - we did a bit, but it's still stuffed to the point of bursting. DH not on side at all as he's so lazy (cruel but true), and I really can't tackle that one by myself. Meh!!
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lula, where have you been? Have missed your diary. Glad the Mexico booking wasn't needed and you still get to go the the wedding. I like how family holidays are one of your priorities, ours too and I'd definitely put them before a car <ponders how many more years I can get out of 8 year old car>
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure